IGNORED

Ratings

Robin 101

Sorry I know some people despise these threads but it's a easy way to compare opinion

Fielding- 7 Nothing sensational but some good solid saves and more commanding than usual. Distribution poor as expected

Smith - 7 Caught out a couple of times but thought he did OK in a new position and with time there think that may work

Flint - 8 Won most things in the air though slightly dodgy on the floor (Would have been 6/7 but he may have seriously changed our season with that goal)

Wright - 6 No major errors but didn't stand out as previously  possibly due to Wigans very limited attacking prowess

Bryan - 4 Not someone to slate the kid in the past but looks so short of confidence. Poor one on one both attacking and defending plus he seems to have lost a foot in his jump.

Pack -7 Good performance I thought. Covered very well for Cotterill and Tomlin when needed although like most today his passing was oddly poor.

O'Neil - 6 Nothing special, nothing terrible, had the chance to shoot a couple of times and tried to slip balls into strikers who weren't there.

Cotterill - 4 Worst performance in a City shirt for Cotterill imo. Lack of attacking intent, didn't help Smith out at all and very slow to get back into position after taking set pieces which were poor all game.

Tomlin - 8 Sure plenty will disagree but drove and Wigan second half whenever we had the ball winning at least 4 corners which eventually paid off. Not a winger but did a much better impression than Cotterill today or Bryan all season.

Abraham - 6 Looked very rusty though service was quite poor. Possibly should have scored first half but didn't have a great view.

Taylor - 3 Shocking performance. Managed to fall over when through on goal in the first half and touch was awful throughout. Improved a lot when he went off.

Subs.

Brownhill - 6 Did well when he came on. Very busy and more attacking than pack. Good substitution at the right time by LJ

O'Dowda - N/A looked lively but hardly touched the ball.

Wilbraham - 6 Tends to = long ball but did provide a target and gave wigan somethig to think about.

Sure many will think these are garbage but just one man's view. :ph34r:

Couldn't disagree more on Cotterill and Tomlin. Tommo didn't track back which left us exposed when Bryan was out of position, and Cotterill's deliveries were decent all afternoon, especially the one first half for Matty Taylor's header.

Tomlin ended the game well but at one point pretty much every pass he attempted didn't come off, and his set-pieces were crap - improved massively in the final half hour though.

10 minutes ago, Fatalist said:

Radio said Taylor was being dragged back when through on goal and that's why he stumbled (but didn't go down).

That's right, way to honest for his own good. Should of gone down when pulled.

Bryan was deffo our weak link today. Looks like he's lost all confidence.

Tomlin was a 6 for me, first half very poor passes alongside some good. Gave ball away twice in dangerous positions, 2 free kicks second half he's got to beat the wall each time not hit it chest height.

cotterill was a 6 lots of chasing back and some good balls in the box.

Thought we lost shape after the double sub, Brownhill should of scored before the goal and we appeared to go 433 with no one on the right which was worrying.

We were the better of 2 poor teams and luckily for us Wigan lacked firepower.

It's interesting how people have such contrasting views on Tomlin's performance and on the game. I thought he (Tomlin)was putting in a good work rate in the first part of the match (well... for him). Yes his free kicks in the second half didn't come off but he showed class.

My take on the match is that for the first 20 minutes or so we played well and with pace.  We then started to over complicate things and they didn't come off allowing Wigan to come back into the game.

the point I'm trying to make is that keeping it simple but with pace was when we were our most efffective.

i also agree with comments that Korey was excellent in the right back role.

Archived