IGNORED

The criticsism of Mark Ashton

BCFC J

Morning all. Woke up and read Twentyman's tweet about MA declining an interview so naturally came on here to see the meltdown, and I wasn't disappointed.

I just do not get the constant scapegoating of Mark Ashton. If we look at his time at the club, he joined and instantly brought in Tomlin and a few other established players when we didn't even have a head coach, and ultimately the signing of Tomlin and the "new manager bounce" from last season probably kept us up.

Onto this summer, and I think we did some outstanding business. It's clear what the plan of the club is, get young players in and develop them and sell them for more, we've been trying that model for years, and some of the signings like Moore, O'Dowda, Magnusson, Brownhill etc have all showed great promise. Those four combined cost us a total of £6m (roughly), if one of them goes onto be a top player at this level we'll have made our money back straight away.

In a world where your Grant Hanley's are going for £6m and your Alex Pritchard's go for £8m, Ashton brings in Championship quality for a fraction of the price. Bailey Wright for £500k was an unbelievable bit of business, Paterson for £500k which on the face of it looked fantastic and I firmly believe we haven't seen the best of him yet; he was fantastic at Huddersfield last season.

Added with that, he has also made some strong foreign recruits. Hegeler looked the real deal for the first few games and Djuric has made an immediate impact, as well as obviously Magnusson. Engvall hasn't quite worked out yet, but he's 20 years old, let's not write him off.

I think he's done some very astute business and I also believe the blame lies solely with the head coach for not getting the best out of this squad. I think we can all agree that our position isn't a fair reflection of the squad we currently possess.

This club has needed a proper "footballing" businessman for years, we now have one who seems to be well respected in the footballing world and is able to seek us a bargain.

I know some get wound up by the "corporate talk" but I'm not sure what you really expect to be honest, I think it's more a reflection of the way the game has gone. It's an expensive game and is becoming more and more middle class.

I don't blame him for not going on Geoff's show last night, what's there to say that hasn't already been said? Pemberton sacking was explained (whether it was true or not) and Johnson will be here next season, nothing we can do about it.

I'm far from a "happy clapper", anything but in fact, but I firmly believe that all this club needs is an established head coach to move us forward. I would love it to be Lee Johnson and it would be brilliant if he achieved what his dad couldn't in getting us to the Premier League, but I just can't see it personally.

He seems to be a good man, he's approachable from personal experience and he cares about this club. Let's see where he can take us.

Up the City!

He needs to go on and justify why Johnson still has a job and why he thinks he can turn it round. I don't know one person who thinks Johnson can so I would really like to have his and Lansdowns perspective as I like many other people really are puzzled to why he is still here.

41 minutes ago, 8MenWith1Dream said:

Morning all. Woke up and read Twentyman's tweet about MA declining an interview so naturally came on here to see the meltdown, and I wasn't disappointed.

I just do not get the constant scapegoating of Mark Ashton. If we look at his time at the club, he joined and instantly brought in Tomlin and a few other established players when we didn't even have a head coach, and ultimately the signing of Tomlin and the "new manager bounce" from last season probably kept us up.

Onto this summer, and I think we did some outstanding business. It's clear what the plan of the club is, get young players in and develop them and sell them for more, we've been trying that model for years, and some of the signings like Moore, O'Dowda, Magnusson, Brownhill etc have all showed great promise. Those four combined cost us a total of £6m (roughly), if one of them goes onto be a top player at this level we'll have made our money back straight away.

In a world where your Grant Hanley's are going for £6m and your Alex Pritchard's go for £8m, Ashton brings in Championship quality for a fraction of the price. Bailey Wright for £500k was an unbelievable bit of business, Paterson for £500k which on the face of it looked fantastic and I firmly believe we haven't seen the best of him yet; he was fantastic at Huddersfield last season.

Added with that, he has also made some strong foreign recruits. Hegeler looked the real deal for the first few games and Djuric has made an immediate impact, as well as obviously Magnusson. Engvall hasn't quite worked out yet, but he's 20 years old, let's not write him off.

I think he's done some very astute business and I also believe the blame lies solely with the head coach for not getting the best out of this squad. I think we can all agree that our position isn't a fair reflection of the squad we currently possess.

This club has needed a proper "footballing" businessman for years, we now have one who seems to be well respected in the footballing world and is able to seek us a bargain.

I know some get wound up by the "corporate talk" but I'm not sure what you really expect to be honest, I think it's more a reflection of the way the game has gone. It's an expensive game and is becoming more and more middle class.

I don't blame him for not going on Geoff's show last night, what's there to say that hasn't already been said? Pemberton sacking was explained (whether it was true or not) and Johnson will be here next season, nothing we can do about it.

I'm far from a "happy clapper", anything but in fact, but I firmly believe that all this club needs is an established head coach to move us forward. I would love it to be Lee Johnson and it would be brilliant if he achieved what his dad couldn't in getting us to the Premier League, but I just can't see it personally.

He seems to be a good man, he's approachable from personal experience and he cares about this club. Let's see where he can take us.

Up the City!

It was only a one man crusade, blame Vincent Vega for doing a bit of Monday evening fishing!

41 minutes ago, Turbored said:

He needs to go on and justify why Johnson still has a job and why he thinks he can turn it round. I don't know one person who thinks Johnson can so I would really like to have his and Lansdowns perspective as I like many other people really are puzzled to why he is still here.

no he doesn't, that isn't his responsibility thats Keith Dawe at the very least and Lansdown

1 hour ago, 8MenWith1Dream said:

Up the City!

How dare you come on here talking sense :disapointed2se:

5 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Keith who! Its Lansdown's ball and hell take it home if you don't behave!

he's been chairman since sexton left, to be honest its about damn time some other board members came out and said something instead of being yes men

2 hours ago, 8MenWith1Dream said:

Up the City!

Really good post, I agree completely. This time last season, and the start of this, he was a hero on here. Funny what a losing run does to supporters looking for reasons/blame. I'm really not sure how he hasn't done his job here and done it well at that.

25 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Why shouldn't MA be criticised on here along with LJ, SL, the board and anyone else connected with the club, sack everyone sell all the players and start again

If only it was that easy. I don't know if you realised but the players signed contracts which vary in length, and only a few of them are up this season.

Besides the point, we don't need to do that. Players like Flint, Wright, Magnusson, Cotterill, Brownhill, K Smith, Tomlin, Abraham and Taylor would get into a lot of sides in this division, and we have players like Giefer, Djuric and Hegeler who we haven't seen enough of to judge against the rest of the division but may well turn out to be proper assets (of course, if Giefer is signed permanently).

1 minute ago, 8MenWith1Dream said:

If only it was that easy. I don't know if you realised but the players signed contracts which vary in length, and only a few of them are up this season.

Besides the point, we don't need to do that. Players like Flint, Wright, Magnusson, Cotterill, Brownhill, K Smith, Tomlin, Abraham and Taylor would get into a lot of sides in this division, and we have players like Giefer, Djuric and Hegeler who we haven't seen enough of to judge against the rest of the division but may well turn out to be proper assets (of course, if Giefer is signed permanently).

I wasn't being serious!

9 minutes ago, cityboy said:

Really good post, I agree completely. This time last season, and the start of this, he was a hero on here. Funny what a losing run does to supporters looking for reasons/blame. I'm really not sure how he hasn't done his job here and done it well at that.

Exactly from what I've said about MA in another post. He's done his job. If people want their fix at moaning about someone, then it should be Lansdown. It's funny how back in the summer everyone was saying great things about Ashton. 

He's the COO, not the CEO. Even as a COO, you are still somewhat "controlled" by the CEO. So of course he has to be careful of what he says. I honestly believe that in his mind he thinks LJ should be gone. However, if the CEO wants that man in charge, then publicly Mark Ashton has to represent Lansdowns opinion, even if he does not agree with it.

2 hours ago, 8MenWith1Dream said:

Up the City!

A solid defence of MA whom I have stuck up for in the past.

Ultimately it's a results business though and we've had an appalling season thus far and could well end up being relegated having spent more than most in this division. 

That's what he should ultimately be judged on.

Yes the head coach is useless, but MA was fully behind his appointment and apparently continues to be.

When LJ eventually goes MAs position looks untenable to me.

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Ultimately it's a results business though and we've had an appalling season thus far and could well end up being relegated having spent more than most in this division. 

Yes the head coach is useless, but MA was fully behind his appointment and apparently continues to be.

Has to be doesn't he mate? He can't come out and say he wants him gone, because ultimately Steve calls all the shots in that regard and Steve is still MA's boss at the end of the day.

Who knows what's happened behind closed doors, maybe he's suggested to SL that LJ should be sacked? I doubt it, just speculating.

15 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

he has no say over johnson though, the chairman and the owner does,

Thats like sacking a postman because you don't like the mail you receive or sacking the paperboy because the news in the paper isn't what you want to read 

@8MenWith1Dream said:

"Onto this summer, and I think we did some outstanding business."

It's all about opinions, but mine is that the business was dire. Too many players for the future and too many of the rest who haven't established themselves in the first team. It's not much better with the January signings. Of the 19 players we've signed in total, only 3 started the match against Norwich. Regardless of whether MA should have attended the 20man show, he's got to take his share of responsibility for the signings, and the league position. What could Nigel Clougn have archived at Burton with the amount of money City has wasted on transfers?

23 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

For me the jury is out on his ability but I find him slimy and untrustworthy for sure. 

Oh he is totally slimy and untrustworthy. I bet he'd happily turn his nose up to anyone in the street.

But this is football, and unfortunately he is the perfect man for this industry dealing with agents, clubs etc.

We are fortunate to have him as a CEO, but unfortunate the whole industry has turned this way.

31 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

@8MenWith1Dream said:

"Onto this summer, and I think we did some outstanding business."

It's all about opinions, but mine is that the business was dire. Too many players for the future and too many of the rest who haven't established themselves in the first team. It's not much better with the January signings. Of the 19 players we've signed in total, only 3 started the match against Norwich. Regardless of whether MA should have attended the 20man show, he's got to take his share of responsibility for the signings, and the league position. What could Nigel Clougn have archived at Burton with the amount of money City has wasted on transfers?

But that's misleading. It's a raw fact in itself but it doesn't tell the whole story.

• Ekstrand was taken off at HT v Derby and never seen again, had injury problems and gone.
  • Lucic and Moore were brought for future basically.
  • Tammy was injured.
  • Engvall is a pure mystery.

The others not being there I suspect is a mix that some were brought for depth, some are victims of LJ's random selection policy and some are victims of his man management...oh and Matthews has an appalling attitude.

Archived