IGNORED

Monaco v Man City

Super

1 minute ago, Super said:

Leicester have a chance against any of these then?!

Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Bayern Munich, Juventus and Monaco.

I doubt it but their style will help them against all of those teams. They're comfortable out of possession and defending and countering. Over two legs though I don't think they've got a chance. 

49 minutes ago, TRL said:

Better you watch it yourself mate. I'd agree with Jason concerning the description rather than the two who are trying to describe something that clearly isn't any sort of 442 I have witnessed

Ok, apologies, I just kinda assumed that the experienced, ex-players who are paid millions to analyse this stuff would have got the formations right...

12 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I doubt it but their style will help them against all of those teams. They're comfortable out of possession and defending and countering. Over two legs though I don't think they've got a chance. 

That's true Joe, but they could not win the league could they? And no way could they progress through the group stage could they?

And know way they could reach the last 8 could they?

Back in the day before the CHAMPIONS league when it was just a two legged affair many lesser teams went a long way in these tournaments.

Don't wright em off  See you have got all modern, comfortable out of possession what the **** does that mean?

In my life only Italian teams feet that bill.

Still Joe the game has gone on and is it for the better?

13 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

That's true Joe, but they could not win the league could they? And no way could they progress through the group stage could they?

And know way they could reach the last 8 could they?

Back in the day before the CHAMPIONS league when it was just a two legged affair many lesser teams went a long way in these tournaments.

Don't wright em off  See you have got all modern, comfortable out of possession what the **** does that mean?

In my life only Italian teams feet that bill.

Still Joe the game has gone on and is it for the better?

I get your point and I'm no football historian. All I know is today's game. Leicester of course could advance I just don't think they will. I could even go as far as saying reaching this far probably suits Leicester better than any of the other English teams that were in it. Just think they will fall short if they get to the point they need some. Though if last seasons Mahrez shows up then he could be a big difference. 

44 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Ok, apologies, I just kinda assumed that the experienced, ex-players who are paid millions to analyse this stuff would have got the formations right...

Tbf, it was a very fluid 442. Their front 4 pretty much play where they want. I'd call it a 4222 really or 424. There are definitely two that sit in front of the central defenders and their full backs get forward when they want to score. Second half was much more defensive. Anyway, whatever it is, it's very fluid and as is the case nowadays formations are just used to give an idea of the set up not the full picture. 

So different today Joe, back in the late 70s early 80s and even before we had Newcastle, Ipswich, Leeds winning European cups.

And before that Spurs and West Ham.  The first team to win with European players in the side were Ipswich with Robson as manager.

They had a side under Robson that was good enough to win the league .

He was a manager (over used saying) ahead of his time.

9 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

So different today Joe, back in the late 70s early 80s and even before we had Newcastle, Ipswich, Leeds winning European cups.

And before that Spurs and West Ham.  The first team to win with European players in the side were Ipswich with Robson as manager.

They had a side under Robson that was good enough to win the league .

He was a manager (over used saying) ahead of his time.

9 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Christ wish I hadn't see that.   No offence to the poster but brings back painful memories.    Should have won the treble that year (1981) but the demands of the game and involvement proved a bridge too far.   In retrospect what we achieved that season was astounding but thinking back now and the talent we had available, only winning the UEFA Cup at the end of it all seems like small reward.  

With regards the more relevant issue i.e City's elimination from the Champions League tonight, it's a shame really as would have wanted to see them progress further.   Won't use the "it's good for England" (if they were to win it) line, just would have preferred to see them go further.   Make no mistake about it, AS Monaco are a class team and could be the first French team to win in legally correct fashion but there's a number of other big names still involved that they may find awkward progressing beyond.

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You are talking about Lineker here, he's probably pre-occupied telling the public how racist they are.

1 hour ago, Southend Blue said:

Christ wish I hadn't see that.   No offence to the poster but brings back painful memories.    Should have won the treble that year (1981) but the demands of the game and involvement proved a bridge too far.   In retrospect what we achieved that season was astounding but thinking back now and the talent we had available, only winning the UEFA Cup at the end of it all seems like small reward.  

With regards the more relevant issue i.e City's elimination from the Champions League tonight, it's a shame really as would have wanted to see them progress further.   Won't use the "it's good for England" (if they were to win it) line, just would have preferred to see them go further.   Make no mistake about it, AS Monaco are a class team and could be the first French team to win in legally correct fashion but there's a number of other big names still involved that they may find awkward progressing beyond.

Im wondering if it would be better in the long run if the pitiful performances in Europe continued.

Eventually we would lose the 4th European spot (IIRC we were close to losing it to Italy a few years ago). As a result there would be less players coming from abroad to join the top few clubs as they will want Champions League football. Wages will still bring a few but there would be a drop. Trickle down effect could see clubs forced to rely on home grown talent, those that stand out would be signed by the top clubs.

Of course alternatively we would see more cheap players brought in from abroad to the mid table Prem sides without expecting European football and those that do well will be signed by the bigger clubs.

Unfortunately the reality would probably be the latter

10 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

The way Monaco are celebrating you'd think they'd won the whole thing.

"Are you Swindon, are you Swindon are you Swindon in disguise?"

What a fun 2 legs that was! Think the right side went through, just.

To others who wonder why Monaco were celebrating a lot last night...they are a very young side, ultimately rebuilding after a brief heavy spending period a few years ago. Keep that young side together and they could become a seriously decent CL side. Manager looks underrated too.

Who would have thought Leicester would be the only CL English side in last 8? Crazy tbh, but then they are the reigning Champions. I hope they win it but they were more than a little lucky in some ways v Sevilla- over 2 legs Sevilla hit the woodwork 3 times and missed 2 pens, sort of reminded me of Chelsea's run to the CL under Di Matteo in that sense. Still I hope they win it.

Archived