IGNORED

A different take on LJ

Robbored

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

We don't know that do we?   

All managers start somewhere. Didn't Alex Ferguson nearly get sacked early on at Man Utd?  

It can be denied that Junior isn't currenty setting the football world alight like Eddie Howe has........but no-one can predict the future accurately.

Yes, but before Sir Alex joined Man Utd he had already won eleven trophies in his previous jobs - including winning the top division in the league three times, Scottish Cup four times, Scottish League Cup once and a European final, beating Real Madrid, all this suggests he had more than a bit of potential which was worth sticking with?

37 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Even by the admittedly incredibly low standards of simplistic nonsense from the OP (this forum's Forrest Gump) this may well be a nadir.

Didn't he open the bowling for India last year ???

52 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I'd love to but it wouldn't past the mods or the swear filter! 

Its really a story for the lads......

Oi! We girls like dirty stories too! Don't we @Dollymarie and @RedM

17 minutes ago, BigTone said:

yeah but what about Robbored. Fair play & total respect to the Studmuffin of OTIB.

I'm JEALOUS !!

Sorry @Robbored and @BigTone but studmuffin of OTIB and all other connotations of aforementioned name have been copyrighted and trademarked to Mr @Rudolf Hucker.

28 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

A comparison with Eddie Howe gets banded about, but it is an interesting one. He made the step up to manage Burnley, didn't do particularly well (not as bad as LJ) and then made the step back to manage Bournemouth again where the result is for all to see.

I still doubt very much that LJ will turn things around here, but if he is sacked, I wouldn't be surprised for him to go back down to League 1 and make a success of himself, taking learnings from this experience with him.

To that extent I can see where the speaker if coming from, although as I say I'm not convinced it will happen for him here.

And everyone will scream 'I told you so'.

Yes I agree it MIGHT happen over time. But how much time can you afford to give this experiment, how far are you prepared to fall before the climb back up again, it could take years until we are back in the Chsmpionship again. And what does that prove, a few people get to say they were right as we look around and see our club unrecognisable from the 2016/17 season, sounds completely crazy when all this could have been avoided,if it happens.

4 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Oi! We girls like dirty stories too! Don't we @Dollymarie and @RedM

Sorry @Robbored and @BigTone but studmuffin of OTIB and all other connotations of aforementioned name have been copyrighted and trademarked to Mr @Rudolf Hucker.

Rudolph must take a back seat to THE LEGEND

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Heard an interesting view on LJ yesterday at Senior Reds.

The speaker was happy that SL had supported LJ recently after the calls for his sacking from some of the fans.

Why?

Apparently Junior is a terrific coach and was/is the target of other clubs before he joined City. 

The speaker went on to say that Junior is only 34 and very young to be in the position but used McInness as an example. When Mac joined City he was the best manager in Scotland but failed here at City. Mac returns to Scotland and has yet again become successful.

His point being that Junior will alomost certainly  become a successful manager and it would have been disappointing to dismiss him and he then goes elsewhere to become a success. He pointed out that LJ has been desperately unlucky. Losing only by one goal and that he'd had three letters of apology from the referees association regarding three errors that went against City, including Wilbrahams disallowed goal against Burton. He said some of lady luck had gone our way at Wigan.......karma in other words.

He added that because of his inexperience he's made formation and tactical errors along with selections but is learning on the job and will benefit from those experiences. LJs potential is recognised by SL.

All very interesting I thought and the pineapple tart and ice cream was gert lush!

We're all missing the great thing about LJ's tenure at Bristol City. Its really changed the dynamic. All future Head Coaches will now insist on the Lee Johnson clause in their contract.

"Well, Mr Prospective Head Coach and Integral to be part of the Project, what can YOU bring to Bristol City Football Club?"

"I'm glad you asked me that Mr Lansdown. Despite being a League 2 also-ran I'm very ambitious. I insist that I'm allowed to lose 15 games in a row before you get mildly upset and 4 games in 30 before the fans start calling for my head, during which time I'll expect a contract extension and a pay rise."

And there you have it. The Lee Johnson clause.

One thing the speaker did say that because of LJs relative youth that he might find it more diffuse to win the respect of the older players. 

I wonder if Eddie Howe had that particular problem?

By leadership and respect, not by ostracising the senior players and marginalising the up and coming players.

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

We are a Championship club with a brand new stadium and a multi-million pound budget.

We should not be the "somewhere" that a manger starts.  We want a manager who has proven himself elsewhere.

Alex Ferguson had a highly successful twelve year managerial career in Scotland prior to joining Man Utd so their Board could legitimately back him on the basis that his early bad run was a blip in an otherwise unbroken period of success.

In the case of a LJ you cannot regard this season as a blip because he has yet to be successful anywhere; it's just more of the same underperformance. 

Maybe the simplest answer is just that he's not very good.

He didnt underperform in his previous jobs though.

Other than the rewriting of history there thats a fairly sensible post

13 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

Alex Ferguson and Lee Johnson have many things in common........ummm......errrrrr....

l, e, s, o & n seem to be the only things they have in common.

The point being that to have three (admitted) referring mistakes go against you is a reflection of the poor luck that City have had.

As you say those apologies will count for nothing if City go down.

Out of interest where did this thing about three letters apologising from the Ref's assoc come from ? Is this common to announce ? And if so, how many apologies have other teams got ? It all sounds like scrabbling for excuses....

7 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Out of interest where did this thing about three letters apologising from the Ref's assoc come from ? Is this common to announce ? And if so, how many apologies have other teams got ? It all sounds like scrabbling for excuses....

Our MASSIVE winner at Wigan last week from a corner which should have been a goal kick.

Wilbrahim's offside goal at Newcastle.

Burton missing an open goal from 2 yards.

Yeah, all the luck has gone against us.

3 minutes ago, Fiale said:

That's a good question. The first (ever) time I heard of this was after the Reading game, think it was in LJ's after match comments from the away game. 
If this is common , I'm guessing that Johnson's not being trolled by the FA, then the game would be awash with letters and managers waving them around as excuses.
It is a new one on me, I would have thought that others would have highlighted their letters as it would excuse a lot of managers of blame.

7 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Our MASSIVE winner at Wigan last week from a corner which should have been a goal kick.

No-one is claiming that all the luck has gone against just that most of it has.

The good fortunate we got at Wigan was karma. 

12 minutes ago, NickJ said:

3 games out of 37!

44 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

He didnt underperform in his previous jobs though.

Other than the rewriting of history there thats a fairly sensible post

Really.

Here is a news story from November 2015:  SHoudl Barnsley Sack Manager Lee Johnson?

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/opinion-should-barnsley-sack-manager-lee-johnson/

I'll just pick out some quotes for you as I for one have a TREMENDOUS sense of deja vu:

At the moment, Johnson’s side are failing to perform, especially as the aim for the Yorkshire club must be to reach the Play-Offs in League One. Johnson’s outfit currently sit 22nd in League One, making a play-off push somewhat unlikely.

However, what may buy Johnson some time at Oakwell is the impact he made at the club last season.

Man Management is very poor .one up front when your at home ? Players looking scared to touch the ball , young players need direction not screamed at and bullied at half time ( mark cooper or lee Clark for me )

A team without experience that includes the manager. Changing manager sometime works but Mr. Johnson does not play 4 4 2 which in the past has been our best formation, if he cannot get our tactics right then perhaps it is time to go.We need experience and a leader in the team

we cant keep saying were a young team wholl learn by there mistakes because before long were in division two.this team is johnsons and resposibility lies with him.whats the point of having young inexperienced kids in a cut throat league like league one,my granny can see we need experience in defence midfield and attack get shut of johnson for gods sake before its too late

He must be sacked this is something different 7 defeats in a row plus the players won’t play for him

55 years old and I have never seen a worse Barnsley side and manager than this. It’s time for him to go Or are they looking to get into the Conference?

hmmm.jpg

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You are so WRONG.

Lee himself stated "we need to stop running over black cats".

Then he keeps going out and squashing as many cats as he can.

This is both cruel and stupid: and for that reason I say 'say the *******'.

:protest:

50 minutes ago, Fiale said:

That's exactly what it is: a scrabble for excuses.  It's a "Look! We're not shit just unlucky, we have the letters to prove it!". It's another play on the 'fine margins' too. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

1 hour ago, Super said:

3 games out of 37!

OK, @Robbored and @Super

Let's see how this pans out.

What is the biggest injustice or bad luck we have suffered this season?

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

Heard an interesting view on LJ yesterday at Senior Reds.

The speaker was happy that SL had supported LJ recently after the calls for his sacking from some of the fans.

Why?

Apparently Junior is a terrific coach and was/is the target of other clubs before he joined City. 

The speaker went on to say that Junior is only 34 and very young to be in the position but used McInness as an example. When Mac joined City he was the best manager in Scotland but failed here at City. Mac returns to Scotland and has yet again become successful.

His point being that Junior will alomost certainly  become a successful manager and it would have been disappointing to dismiss him and he then goes elsewhere to become a success. He pointed out that LJ has been desperately unlucky. Losing only by one goal and that he'd had three letters of apology from the referees association regarding three errors that went against City, including Wilbrahams disallowed goal against Burton. He said some of lady luck had gone our way at Wigan.......karma in other words.

He added that because of his inexperience he's made formation and tactical errors along with selections but is learning on the job and will benefit from those experiences. LJs potential is recognised by SL.

All very interesting I thought and the pineapple tart and ice cream was gert lush!

Sounds like a senior moment

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

We don't know that do we?   

All managers start somewhere. Didn't Alex Ferguson nearly get sacked early on at Man Utd?  

It can be denied that Junior isn't currenty setting the football world alight like Eddie Howe has........but no-one can predict the future accurately.

Whatever will be, will be, the future's not ours to see - unless you're a highly reputable psychic like Mystic Meg!

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Really.

Here is a news story from November 2015:  SHoudl Barnsley Sack Manager Lee Johnson?

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/opinion-should-barnsley-sack-manager-lee-johnson/

I'll just pick out some quotes for you as I for one have a TREMENDOUS sense of deja vu:

hmmm.jpg

So something written before he turned it around at Barnsley is your evidence he under-performed at Barnsley AND Oldham?

He certainly was under performing at that point in time. He thenturned it around with the winning run that started their push to their playoffs and got them to Wembley.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

So something written before he turned it around at Barnsley is your evidence he under-performed at Barnsley AND Oldham?

He certainly was under performing at that point in time. He thenturned it around with the winning run that started their push to their playoffs and got them to Wembley.

So, what are you really saying James? It is James isn't it??

1 minute ago, ontariored said:

So, what are you really saying James? It is James isn't it??

I'm saying what I typed.

He didn't under perform at Oldham by any means, and in reality did about as expected at Barnsley.

No, I thought I was obvious my name was Betty, I chose "James" to make this as clear as possible. :facepalm:

Archived