IGNORED

A different take on LJ

Robbored

Heard an interesting view on LJ yesterday at Senior Reds.

The speaker was happy that SL had supported LJ recently after the calls for his sacking from some of the fans.

Why?

Apparently Junior is a terrific coach and was/is the target of other clubs before he joined City. 

The speaker went on to say that Junior is only 34 and very young to be in the position but used McInness as an example. When Mac joined City he was the best manager in Scotland but failed here at City. Mac returns to Scotland and has yet again become successful.

His point being that Junior will alomost certainly  become a successful manager and it would have been disappointing to dismiss him and he then goes elsewhere to become a success. He pointed out that LJ has been desperately unlucky. Losing only by one goal and that he'd had three letters of apology from the referees association regarding three errors that went against City, including Wilbrahams disallowed goal against Burton. He said some of lady luck had gone our way at Wigan.......karma in other words.

He added that because of his inexperience he's made formation and tactical errors along with selections but is learning on the job and will benefit from those experiences. LJs potential is recognised by SL.

All very interesting I thought and the pineapple tart and ice cream was gert lush!

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

The speaker was happy that SL had supported LJ recently after the calls for his sacking from some of the fans.

Why?

Apparently Junior is a terrific coach and was/is the target of other clubs before he joined City. 

The speaker went on to say that Junior is only 34 and very young to be in the position but used McInness as an example. When Mac joined City he was the best manager in Scotland but failed here at City. Mac returns to Scotland and has yet again become successful.

His point being that Junior will alomost certainly  become a successful manager and it would have been disappointing to dismiss him and he then goes elsewhere to become a success. He pointed out that LJ has been desperately unlucky. Losing only by one goal and that he'd had three letters of apology from the referees association regarding three errors that went against City, including Wilbrahams disallowed goal against Burton. He said some of lady luck had gone our way at Wigan.......karma in other words.

He added that because of his inexperience he's made formation and tactical errors along with selections but is learning on the job and will benefit from those experiences. LJs potential is recognised by SL.

All very interesting I thought and the pineapple tart and ice cream was gert lush!

Obviously a whoosh moment for me…

Pineapple tart? :redcard: 

29 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Why?

So basically he would be better as an assistant learning the ropes from someone who has been there and done that.

Tart sounds nice though.

Again, the content of the OP is nothing new. I'm not having a dig by the way.

It was covered on a few threads and the most recent was called 'SL Mantra or something similar. If this 'mantra' is to be believed, why have we got a coach that is learning the job as we go along. Isn't that called an apprenticeship? SL has now made our bed and we have to sleep in it whatever anyones take is on our sorry situation. Dreading tonight and the rest of the season as it goes but one thing won't change, I won't waiver in my support for my beloved City, no matter what happens.

5 minutes ago, bris red said:

'Will almost certainly become an excellent manager' what absolute bollox. I genuinely feel LJ will never make it as a good manager, at any level. 

We don't know that do we?   

All managers start somewhere. Didn't Alex Ferguson nearly get sacked early on at Man Utd?  

It can be denied that Junior isn't currenty setting the football world alight like Eddie Howe has........but no-one can predict the future accurately.

9 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I struggle to understand the various anecdotes about LJ being "highly regarded", "sought after " etc. 

Surely as a football manager you're judged on achievements? 

I would presume that younger managers are also gauged on ethos and vision as well as displaying a theoretical understanding of the mechanics of the game due to lack of management history.  Of course, theory and practice are two different things and it's one thing to understand it but a completely different thing to then put it into play.

It's one of the reasons that I'm not overly fussed on changing now, because I have been impressed with the talk, if not the walk and I can see the logic behind his reasoning even if I don't necessarily agree with all of it.

The key is going to be how he takes what has happened this year and learns from it.  My gut feel is that he'll be given until Christmas to show that he has learned and is making positive steps towards becoming the manager that SL clearly thinks he can be,  If we're languishing near the bottom of whatever division we're in then I think he'll make the change.

The other reason for me is that chopping and changing managers hasn't worked for us and so maybe a bit of stability is what we need long term.  Few people have faith in SL picking the right man to replace LJ anyway, so if we're going to have the wrong man in charge regardless, then try the approach we haven't tried yet.

Cue abuse from some, but hey....it's just an opinion. :dunno:

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

All managers start somewhere. Didn't Alex Ferguson nearly get sacked early on at Man Utd?  

It can be denied that Junior isn't currenty setting the football world alight like Eddie Howe has........but no-one can predict the future accurately.

I thought OTIB had more than its fair share of Mystic Mogs.

BTW, did the speaker get heckled, things thrown at him and generally pilloried?

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Ok, I'm putting my tin hat on but I would love to see SL push the boat out and secure the likes of David Moyes and move LJ down to be his assistant.

2 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Sounds like pineapple tart and ice cream wasn't the only crap served up!

The speaker is a very experienced journalist and knows City far better than most.....

His views deserved respect and you're calling them crap even though you weren't there........:facepalm:

I very much understand and admire the giving a manager time approach. 

But for me the future has to be balanced with the here and now. The here and now is that I believe we may well be down this year. Back in Jan and Feb I was patiently waiting to see real signs of an upturn and the fact I just have to look too hard to find positives is very worrying. A result tonight will help though obviously!

If the powers that be have decided that it's a hit they are willing to take and that they will try and buy L1 next season in order to stick by LJ and provide him with experience - it's one hell of a long term risk and a one hell of a game to play with the fans.

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We are a Championship club with a brand new stadium and a multi-million pound budget.

We should not be the "somewhere" that a manger starts.  We want a manager who has proven himself elsewhere.

Alex Ferguson had a highly successful twelve year managerial career in Scotland prior to joining Man Utd so their Board could legitimately back him on the basis that his early bad run was a blip in an otherwise unbroken period of success.

In the case of a LJ you cannot regard this season as a blip because he has yet to be successful anywhere; it's just more of the same underperformance. 

Maybe the simplest answer is just that he's not very good.

22 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I would presume that younger managers are also gauged on ethos and vision as well as displaying a theoretical understanding of the mechanics of the game due to lack of management history.  Of course, theory and practice are two different things and it's one thing to understand it but a completely different thing to then put it into play.

It's one of the reasons that I'm not overly fussed on changing now, because I have been impressed with the talk, if not the walk and I can see the logic behind his reasoning even if I don't necessarily agree with all of it.

The key is going to be how he takes what has happened this year and learns from it.  My gut feel is that he'll be given until Christmas to show that he has learned and is making positive steps towards becoming the manager that SL clearly thinks he can be,  If we're languishing near the bottom of whatever division we're in then I think he'll make the change.

The other reason for me is that chopping and changing managers hasn't worked for us and so maybe a bit of stability is what we need long term.  Few people have faith in SL picking the right man to replace LJ anyway, so if we're going to have the wrong man in charge regardless, then try the approach we haven't tried yet.

Cue abuse from some, but hey....it's just an opinion. :dunno:

If SL sacked him today, how many clubs do you think would be interested in employing him, based on his logic and reasoning, and would be prepared to ignore his results? 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Why?

Interesting . I have thought the same myself without posting due to ridicule on this very forum and opting for a change of manager!!

Archived