IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Huddersfield Town Match Day Thread (Merged)

hantsred

Good day everyone. 

This is the Championship Table on March 18th, 2016:-

58cbcdf43b834_ScreenShot2017-03-17at19_52_34.thumb.png.5456b670e0c858ec8d85c589e22772c3.png

And the same bottom 9 today after City have spent how much? £12 million pounds in the interim and sold Jonathan Kodjia whom many might say is the main reason we are in our predicament although Tammy seems to have covered for many of those goals:-

58cbce4c6b018_ScreenShot2017-03-17at19_53_56.thumb.png.e09c96956d12db7b49da991ecd4d32c1.png

Discuss at will.

Meanwhile on more distracting discussions; here is an interesting question for you all..

“Which Huddersfield Town player scored three goals against Bradford City with just over two hours between the second and third?”

The answer is Billy Price in 1941. But how is that possible?

In 1940-41, Huddersfield played Bradford City home and away on Christmas Day and, the following season, they marked the 25th by playing at Leeds United in the morning and Bradford Park Avenue in the afternoon. Yes you read that right, Christmas Day.

While war time football tends to get shelved as a topic, the 1940-41 season featured the emergence of a young winger who was to play a significant part in the club’s future in regular Football League action.

That was Vic Metcalfe, who played for England in an era of outstanding wingers and still stands third in Town’s all-time appearance list with 459 peacetime matches to add to the 65 he played during World War Two.

Huddersfield played on Christmas Day in their first year of existence, 1908, when they lost 6-1 at Bradford Park Avenue Reserves. They regularly played on that date through to the Second World War.

Indeed, in their hat trick of English title seasons, they played on Christmas Day in the first two. 

After hostilities finished in 1945, the League remained regional in 1945-46 and matches were played on a home and away basis at Christmas, one on the 25th and the return on either Boxing Day or the 27th.

Town doubled up against Blackburn, Aston Villa, Blackpool, Wolves and Derby County and, crazily, when they won promotion in 1952-53 with the famous unchanged defence of Wheeler, Staniforth, Kelly, McEvoy, Quested and McGarry, they played Swansea as their holiday opposition.

Huddersfield played their final ever match on Christmas day against Charlton in 1951 when Denis Law was in the team although they lost 2-1.

Law was 18 at the time, and his brilliance had previously captured the attention of Scotland’s selectors, who had made him the youngest player of the century to play for his country.

Here is one Christmas Match day photo from that era..

manchester-snow-main_0_0.jpg.12ec74881ee663949ce51b9b35450e62.jpg

As the Football League expanded, clubs began to travel longer distances for Christmas Day matches. There was no public transport shutdown, so fans and players could take trains and buses for festive away trips. It was customary to play return matches on Christmas Day and Boxing Day against the same opponent, to ensure that paired-up teams had equal distances to travel.

In 1908, the return matches produced a series of mirrored results. For example, Manchester City beat Chelsea 2-1 on Christmas Day, and Chelsea beat City 2-1 on Boxing Day. And Bristol City beat Bradford City 1-0, then Bradford City beat Bristol City 1-0. “Form counts for little in these games,” said The Times ahead of one Christmas programme. “Injuries and general strain play an important part, and the happiest team is that which has the strongest reserves.”

Thanks to the Huddersfield Daily Examiner and FourFourTwo.com for some of these interesting stories.

And I do enjoy looking through old photos of such times. Look at these gorgeous terraces..

snow-sweepers.jpg.1bb01c6b66accce8e62d3af9867a5f03.jpg

And again at Stamford Bridge on Christmas Day 1956.

stamford-bridge-1956.jpg.55bd0ff3961a7ea3338c1b4009779e85.jpg

Back to tonight and under the lights on a pristine pitch. I do hope they turn those blasted lights off so we can at least pretend we are back where football was real.

UTC.

8 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone. 

This is the Championship Table on March 18th, 2016:-

58cbcdf43b834_ScreenShot2017-03-17at19_52_34.thumb.png.5456b670e0c858ec8d85c589e22772c3.png

And the same bottom 9 today after City have spent how much? £12 million pounds in the interim and sold Jonathan Kodjia whom many might say is the main reason we are in our predicament although Tammy seems to have covered for many of those goals:-

58cbce4c6b018_ScreenShot2017-03-17at19_53_56.thumb.png.e09c96956d12db7b49da991ecd4d32c1.png

Discuss at will.

Meanwhile on more distracting discussions; here is an interesting question for you all..

“Which Huddersfield Town player scored three goals against Bradford City with just over two hours between the second and third?”

The answer is Billy Price in 1941. But how is that possible?

In 1940-41, Huddersfield played Bradford City home and away on Christmas Day and, the following season, they marked the 25th by playing at Leeds United in the morning and Bradford Park Avenue in the afternoon. Yes you read that right, Christmas Day.

While war time football tends to get shelved as a topic, the 1940-41 season featured the emergence of a young winger who was to play a significant part in the club’s future in regular Football League action.

That was Vic Metcalfe, who played for England in an era of outstanding wingers and still stands third in Town’s all-time appearance list with 459 peacetime matches to add to the 65 he played during World War Two.

Huddersfield played on Christmas Day in their first year of existence, 1908, when they lost 6-1 at Bradford Park Avenue Reserves. They regularly played on that date through to the Second World War.

Indeed, in their hat trick of English title seasons, they played on Christmas Day in the first two. 

After hostilities finished in 1945, the League remained regional in 1945-46 and matches were played on a home and away basis at Christmas, one on the 25th and the return on either Boxing Day or the 27th.

Town doubled up against Blackburn, Aston Villa, Blackpool, Wolves and Derby County and, crazily, when they won promotion in 1952-53 with the famous unchanged defence of Wheeler, Staniforth, Kelly, McEvoy, Quested and McGarry, they played Swansea as their holiday opposition.

Huddersfield played their final ever match on Christmas day against Charlton in 1951 when Denis Law was in the team although they lost 2-1.

Law was 18 at the time, and his brilliance had previously captured the attention of Scotland’s selectors, who had made him the youngest player of the century to play for his country.

Here is one Christmas Match day photo from that era..

manchester-snow-main_0_0.jpg.12ec74881ee663949ce51b9b35450e62.jpg

As the Football League expanded, clubs began to travel longer distances for Christmas Day matches. There was no public transport shutdown, so fans and players could take trains and buses for festive away trips. It was customary to play return matches on Christmas Day and Boxing Day against the same opponent, to ensure that paired-up teams had equal distances to travel.

In 1908, the return matches produced a series of mirrored results. For example, Manchester City beat Chelsea 2-1 on Christmas Day, and Chelsea beat City 2-1 on Boxing Day. And Bristol City beat Bradford City 1-0, then Bradford City beat Bristol City 1-0. “Form counts for little in these games,” said The Times ahead of one Christmas programme. “Injuries and general strain play an important part, and the happiest team is that which has the strongest reserves.”

Thanks to the Huddersfield Daily Examiner and FourFourTwo.com for some of these interesting stories.

And I do enjoy looking through old photos of such times. Look at these gorgeous terraces..

snow-sweepers.jpg.1bb01c6b66accce8e62d3af9867a5f03.jpg

And again at Stamford Bridge on Christmas Day 1956.

stamford-bridge-1956.jpg.55bd0ff3961a7ea3338c1b4009779e85.jpg

Back to tonight and under the lights on a pristine pitch. I do hope they turn those blasted lights off so we can at least pretend we are back where football was real.

UTC.

Thank heavens for global warming!

We need to turn Ashton Gate into a fortress now in the run in to the end of the season. Everyone knows how Huddersfield will play, they will press us high up the pitch and move the ball quickly. 

Hopefully, City can turn a performance on for the cameras tonight. Unfortunately I can't see it, but it won't be as big a defeat as 

10 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

1-4

:badmood:

tfj  :protest:

2 minutes ago, daored said:

We need to turn Ashton Gate into a fortress now in the run in to the end of the season. Everyone knows how Huddersfield will play, they will press us high up the pitch and move the ball quickly. 

Hopefully, City can turn a performance on for the cameras tonight. Unfortunately I can't see it, but it won't be as big a defeat as 

Oh yes it will.

:yes:

:badmood:

tfj

Interesting post, as ever, from @havanatopia apart from looking at last season's league table. I noticed that this week he made no mention of attending a conference / exhibition. Probably as we saw through his euphemism and realised what he was up to. 

3 minutes ago, kingswood red said:

Wasn't there some sort of connection between Denis Law and Gordon Low?

They were best friends. Pity we signed Low instead of Law.  Gordon Low was a very skillful player, but he made Wilbraham look like Usain Bolt (for speed, not appearance)

11 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Interesting post, as ever, from @havanatopia apart from looking at last season's league table. I noticed that this week he made no mention of attending a conference / exhibition. Probably as we saw through his euphemism and realised what he was up to. 

They were best friends. Pity we signed Low instead of Law.  Gordon Low was a very skillful player, but he made Wilbraham look like Usain Bolt (for speed, not appearance)

Oooh you are awful...

21 minutes ago, daored said:

totally agree, it's become a Wendy House under LJ!

24 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Thank heavens for global warming!

Shhhh Trump's men are everywhere, all over social media init. Mind you this place isn't always social is it !

Just incase, no such thing as global warming ...... there, I think we got away with it.

Oh right Football..... My mate , Huddersfield supporter , has been in touch to meet after. In good LJ style , I got my excuses in early.
Can't see past an away win, might have a sneaky £1 on Tammy first goal and Hudd's to win 2-1 @ 66/1

4 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

Storm Stella due to hit at 7pm tonight.  May be a great leveller.  40mph winds and heavy rain,could be a goal in it for Frankie.

I love that we are so bad nowadays we need the weather to save us.

I remember a game vs. Wolves at Ashton gate a few years ago where the wind played absolute havoc. Ended 2-2 I think.

1 minute ago, Robin101 said:

I love that we are so bad nowadays we need the weather to save us.

I remember a game vs. Wolves at Ashton gate a few years ago where the wind played absolute havoc. Ended 2-2 I think.

That was an amazing game, watching Basso punt the ball up the pitch only for it to float back to him.

12 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

Storm Stella due to hit at 7pm tonight.  May be a great leveller.  40mph winds and heavy rain,could be a goal in it for Frankie.

A la Ray Cashley v Hull? I'd take that tonight 

I'm in Aalborg tonight, a place I always associated with Soren Anderson.

The season Soren Anderson played for us, we lost and drew with Huddersfield.

So I'll take that as a sign and would take a draw tonight to make up for the loss at their place.

Looking at the Huddersfield forum they think the game against us earlier this season where Frankie had possibly his worst game for ages was the turning point for them (and for us) which is probably true. Remember watching it online at the time and there wasn't that much between the teams although they definitely deserved to win.

Also they can't understand why Paterson isn't in our side. They had him on loan from Walsall and apparently wanted to sign him permanently but we got in first. They seem to reckon he'd get into their side now, which just goes to show that our squad isn't being put to the best use at present.

3 - 2 victory for LJ's City tonight in a classic game that will be talked about and clips replayed time and time on TV football shows for years to come...

It's gonna be a brommer of a match tonight, one not to be missed.

A game that launches LJ on a path leading to a glittering Premiership career before becoming a nationally loved and acclaimed manager of an England team heading for unprecedented international glory and legendary European and World Cup tournament success.

It all starts tonight with a 3 - 2 Bristol City victory over Huddersfield Town... a game incidentally that marks a stunning beginning to Bristol City's rise into the elite of World club football with LJ at the helm on his way to his glorious universally celebrated career as England boss and eventual knighthood.

You heard it here first folks... get yer arses down the Gate tonight, watch history in the making, be a part of it!! :city: 

Archived