IGNORED

Simply sensational. A Match Report.

Olé

I don't normally post after home games as most of you will have seen it, more so when Sky broadcast the game to the unfortunate viewing public, but if ever a season contrived to throw up a performance that deserved some comment, it was that. Simply sensational. Don't worry that the fourth goal wasn't a penalty or that Huddersfield were shaken by a horrific injury to one of their players, or indeed that the wind and rain swirled unpredictably around Ashton Gate in search of victims that might think they can play football. 

What mattered is that for the first time in nearly six months (and I have no idea where this performance came from other than backs to the wall grit and sheer bloody mindedness) we played ninety minutes where everyone knew their role with or without the ball, everyone BELIEVED in themselves, and everyone said - bar a 20 minute first half spell of glue-like one touch passing from Huddersfield - we are not going to break, we are going to present them with a solid wall of defenders and we are going to (faint now) break with pace.

I won't dignify told-you-so type posts by Johnson supporters with a direct reply as frankly it is childish to suggest there is precedent or evidence that a performance like that was coming or that this was some kind of reward for patience. This was an end of days, all or nothing display of guts and self belief that owed a lot to long forgotten features of City's football - saying City's football in of itself a revelation as we took the game to Huddersfield rather than the usual respect of adapting around them. Features of City's football like:

- Tomlin genuinely playing off Tammy Abraham in as close as we will get this season to a conventional 4-4-2. Not having to sit so deep and do so much to unlock the opposition, actually being on a defenders shoulder knowing the right pass or turn will present openings for Tammy. As per usual, he didn't always pick that pass, but given the ball right in front of the backline, he had space and time to cause panic and allow other City players to push up and create attacking options - uncharted territory for us this season
- Not passing backwards. When we got the ball, it was like the team had been told to be brave and be bright. After months of midfielders getting the ball and the ground sighing as the player stopped, panicked, and passed backwards, it was like they were on instructions to only go forward. We had the remarkable sight of midfielders battling to make room to find a forward run or pass, actually becoming more of a catalyst for an attack rather than a piece of furniture good for only ushering the ball back or sideways
- Full backs who got tight to their opposite numbers and didn't give them a second to pick crosses or bring others into play, full backs who made it their business to make the flanks their land and fought for and used the ball brightly (winning and then charging forward) in a manner that has been utterly non existent this season 
- Defenders buzzing around like hawks who knew when to go to the player and stop them - none of this standing off and off ball watching (okay, perhaps a little, particularly as Huddersfield's attacking passing was very good) but actually sending a player to the ball to intercept it when they got anywhere near the box and before they could shoot 
- Breaking with pace, trying to routinely get them on the back foot, get the ball threaded through to Tomlin or Tammy, who created the time and space for one another to cause problems and bought us not before seen time to sustain proper serious attacking football.

Football is a beautiful game when City actually play THEIR football and take control of a game so convincingly. Win all the individual battles and impress OUR football on the game, not spend 90 minutes trying to contain and admire theirs. ****ing brilliant!

If anything, what Huddersfield did to make that game, was play so open and attacking - routinely 3 forward players over the halfway line and another 4 pushing up in midfield. They moved quickly with the ball and tried to press us at times further up the pitch. The difference for once was we were solid at the back and first to every ball around the box before they could cross, particularly Korey - now embarrassing every other right back at the club - and Bryan - who pulled a 10 out of nowhere after months of below average.

This was the first game where we looked like we had Championship full backs that hunted down opponents with support from the midfield, and then bombed forward with confidence, pace and power, backing themselves to retain the ball and shift the football upfield, rather than the traditional hoof upfield from Flint. Flint, by the way, was making busy leaping for and tackling anything that came near him. That was one thing that hasn't changed, but when the other players all work with him, he looks a class act.

The first came from a fantastic bit of advantage from the referee but typical of the problems our two forwards were causing running off the defenders and making themselves available. Abraham was regularly bundled over, but on this occasion Tomlin didn't wait for the whistle and just scooped up the ball and (as so often before he tired) ran on goal, this time with the easy chance to score.

If the first was a fortuitous break in the game - but in my opinion earned just by the manner in which our front two were drifting and working the defence as opposed to the recent best of knocking it up to Wilbraham while everyone else in red was static -  then the second goal was pure class. We got the ball to Cotterill on the right who raced forward and played an early, fizzing low cross into the box (again, something we just haven't been doing). Begging our forwards to win it. Putting the Huddersfield defenders into problems. 

Tammy got his split second timing right to get goal side of his marker as it arrived and bury it first time in the bottom corner. Simply sensational, a Premiership finish for a goal of speed and strength that oozed class and was a testament to pace and movement we haven't seen from a City team since, well, September? And right on the stroke of a 59th minute half time, exactly what Lee Johnson needed to setup a rallying half time team talk. We've thrown away two goal leads several times, but not being this bright.

And so it was, we came out after half time like a team possessed. A slick move saw O'Dowda denied a near certain goal with a header at close range. Huddersfield had been open from the start but more so in the second half and this played to City's forgotten strengths. Without two banks of four to break down, and with Korey and Joe Bryan getting tight to and closing down attacks and then powering forward with the ball, we got situations where we had options and could release Tammy, Tomlin or O'Dowda at will.

Flint and Wright, beasts the pair of them, were first to everything that came near them, Pack and O'Neil were streetwise to everything in midfield, and we weathered Huddersfield attempts to get into the game. If anything it was like seeing the City team of the past six months - run out of ideas and reduced to pot shots from 25 yards. So the third wasn't a surprise. From a corner we had their defenders in full on panic mode, O'Neil knocked the second ball back into the box and Flint applied the backheel. Delerium. Limbs everywhere.

Before the end we had a fourth, Joe Bryan, a player possessed by god knows what - a throwback performance to our promotion season - raced forward with a never say die attitude that was so typical of him last night and so atypical of him this season. Inside the box with a defender closing he rode the challenge and launched himself to the floor. By a stroke of luck, the referee, who had allowed the Huddersfield number 10 to dive all game, got into the party spirit and awarded the penalty. Cotterill nearly took the roof off the net off. Pandemonium!

A well oiled Ashton Gate crowd, long since boisterous and noisy, had their Friday night made. If ever a group of fans deserved a night like this it was City. We've been well and truly through the mill home and away with awful football and ever worse results with no sight of the kind of football that dominates games and opposition. This wasn't just respite, this was a performance that was earned and hopefully season defining. We have 8 more games to play with the same guts, determination and self believe, and we'll be fine.

Well done Lee Johnson - I didn't think you had it in you, I still don't, but I take my hat off to you for whatever you said to the players before that one. Keep it simple, play to your strengths, believe in yourselves, play you game, don't worry about what Huddersfield want to do. Whatever it was, it was unlike anything I've seen since Fulham away (better, arguably) and more than enough evidence that if you play a settled team with 2 up top, hard working full backs, and back yourself going forward... you're far too good to go down.

Fielding 7 Wasn't overworked thanks to the stellar defending but had a few things to do including a save at his near post at 2-0 and did it well. Looks so much less fragile and prone to error that Giefer
Korey Smith 10 CHAMPIONSHIP FULL BACK SIGHTING ... picked up where he left off at Wigan. Barring when he was rusty post injury, this has been going on for years, I love this guy, it's like he steps onto the pitch wanting to be one of the best players on the pitch and puts the work in required to do so. No one gets the better of him. Just a class act.
Joe Bryan 10 CHAMPIONSHIP FULL BACK SIGHTING PART 2.... or even just a JOE BRYAN SIGHTING.... Wow, just wow, no idea where that came from, best performance of the season by a country mile, it was like he had woken up to all the criticism this season, OR had seen how Korey performed at Wigan and decided, I want a piece of this. Just brilliant.
Flint 9 As per, an absolute warrior, wins everything, battles for everything, will be kicking anything that comes near him in his sleep this weekend.
Wright 8 Really getting an understanding with Flint, they hold their shape and know who should go to the ball. Streetwise and solid.
O'Neil 7 Sounds odd to say, but easily our poorest play on a night when no one really was. A couple of brilliant runs in midfield offset by some careless or even chaotic passing or lazy flicks at other times. Certainly the weakest link but a big part of the momentum when we built forward.
Pack 8 Wasn't passing backwards today, backed himself and got his foot on the ball and looked to go forward. Vintage Pack. Also towards the end streetwise enough to take the foul and break the game up. Huddersfield's open play gave him the time and space, and he kindly obliged.
Cotterill 8 As he has been since he returned, pace and determination, leads by example, and importantly gets his head up and sees what is happening and who to get the ball to, unlucky with two dangerous breaks in the second half that we didn't thread the ball to him as he was clear, but consistently a willing runner, and as emphatic a penalty as you will see!
O'Dowda 9 Has been great for weeks now, am always surprised when he is dropped, shaping up to be a class act who starts with the most important attribute: work - knows where to get back and be when we haven't got the ball, and when we have got the ball is deceptively strong and confident on the ball getting forward, is going to be a real asset 
Tomlin 9 Absolutely knackered after an hour, but what an hour it was. Playing off Tammy up front he caused all sorts of problems, when you get him into space with just defenders to beat, as opposed to working deep out of midfield having to create miracles, he is a different player, full of smart touches and the self belief to take players on. Doesn't always get it right, but a dream for a poacher like Tammy to play around, creates the panic which others can then thrive on, gives defenders too much to think about.
Abraham 9 Grew up a little today, class act who beats players for fun with his first touch, but today we saw a more streetwise performance too, buying fouls in the second half (to be fair he was getting kicked about something rotten) but just love his movement and hustle, always looking to spring the defence and his goal was pure instinct and pace. They had a torrid time marking him.

All errors and omissions excepted, as I have been celebrating for most of the night :ill:

The really stunning aspect to Tammy Abraham's goal, the peeling off and the lightning dart across his man, is that he will score that type of goal against any defence at any level.

He's scored a lot of right place, right time goals this season, but I'd argue that's the best of his 22 so far and really hammered home that in the right team you could be looking at a future top-flight golden boot winner.

If I was going to say one thing to Flint it would be..... Once you have won the ball, please give it to someone else who can pass it properly! :) Other than that, the idea that he should be dropped after recent performances was just ridiculous in my opinion.

Usually I would read a report like that and think what a load of hyperbolic nonsense but shockingly we were that good!! I remember someone next to me worried about us surrendering our lead and I said to him - not tonight, Korey Smith is at right back, our main weakness has been rectified. It was so good to see us keep playing with the sense of urgency in the second half to a point which I reasonably could have seen us score five or six. Last night will live long in the memory for me if we stay up. If we go down it will be a damning indictment on what might have been.

Great report Rob and spot on for me about O'Neil, not really noticed this before but his recovery pace is really ropey, as soon as the man and ball are past him he is stuffed.

That aside though we were superb, many players having their best games of the season.

21 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

The really stunning aspect to Tammy Abraham's goal, the peeling off and the lightning dart across his man, is that he will score that type of goal against any defence at any level.

He's scored a lot of right place, right time goals this season, but I'd argue that's the best of his 22 so far and really hammered home that in the right team you could be looking at a future top-flight golden boot winner.

Yes it was a goal of a striker that has an instinct that you can't coach. Where on Earth do we find some just half as good as him? He to me is a rare young footballer, not burdened by anything other than wanting to score goals, a stroke of genius bringing hime here.

55 minutes ago, Olé said:

I don't normally post after home games as most of you will have seen it, more so when Sky broadcast the game to the unfortunate viewing public, but if ever a season contrived to throw up a performance that deserved some comment, it was that. Simply sensational. Don't worry that the fourth goal wasn't a penalty or that Huddersfield were shaken by a horrific injury to one of their players, or indeed that the wind and rain swirled unpredictably around Ashton Gate in search of victims that might think they can play football. 

What mattered is that for the first time in nearly six months (and I have no idea where this performance came from other than backs to the wall grit and sheer bloody mindedness) we played ninety minutes where everyone knew their role with or without the ball, everyone BELIEVED in themselves, and everyone said - bar a 20 minute first half spell of glue-like one touch passing from Huddersfield - we are not going to break, we are going to present them with a solid wall of defenders and we are going to (faint now) break with pace.

I won't dignify told-you-so type posts by Johnson supporters with a direct reply as frankly it is childish to suggest there is precedent or evidence that a performance like that was coming or that this was some kind of reward for patience. This was an end of days, all or nothing display of guts and self belief that owed a lot to long forgotten features of City's football - saying City's football in of itself a revelation as we took the game to Huddersfield rather than the usual respect of adapting around them. Features of City's football like:

- Tomlin genuinely playing off Tammy Abraham in as close as we will get this season to a conventional 4-4-2. Not having to sit so deep and do so much to unlock the opposition, actually being on a defenders shoulder knowing the right pass or turn will present openings for Tammy. As per usual, he didn't always pick that pass, but given the ball right in front of the backline, he had space and time to cause panic and allow other City players to push up and create attacking options - uncharted territory for us this season
- Not passing backwards. When we got the ball, it was like the team had been told to be brave and be bright. After months of midfielders getting the ball and the ground sighing as the player stopped, panicked, and passed backwards, it was like they were on instructions to only go forward. We had the remarkable sight of midfielders battling to make room to find a forward run or pass, actually becoming more of a catalyst for an attack rather than a piece of furniture good for only ushering the ball back or sideways
- Full backs who got tight to their opposite numbers and didn't give them a second to pick crosses or bring others into play, full backs who made it their business to make the flanks their land and fought for and used the ball brightly (winning and then charging forward) in a manner that has been utterly non existent this season 
- Defenders buzzing around like hawks who knew when to go to the player and stop them - none of this standing off and off ball watching (okay, perhaps a little, particularly as Huddersfield's attacking passing was very good) but actually sending a player to the ball to intercept it when they got anywhere near the box and before they could shoot 
- Breaking with pace, trying to routinely get them on the back foot, get the ball threaded through to Tomlin or Tammy, who created the time and space for one another to cause problems and bought us not before seen time to sustain proper serious attacking football.

Football is a beautiful game when City actually play THEIR football and take control of a game so convincingly. Win all the individual battles and impress OUR football on the game, not spend 90 minutes trying to contain and admire theirs. ****ing brilliant!

If anything, what Huddersfield did to make that game, was play so open and attacking - routinely 3 forward players over the halfway line and another 4 pushing up in midfield. They moved quickly with the ball and tried to press us at times further up the pitch. The difference for once was we were solid at the back and first to every ball around the box before they could cross, particularly Korey - now embarrassing every other right back at the club - and Bryan - who pulled a 10 out of nowhere after months of below average.

This was the first game where we looked like we had Championship full backs that hunted down opponents with support from the midfield, and then bombed forward with confidence, pace and power, backing themselves to retain the ball and shift the football upfield, rather than the traditional hoof upfield from Flint. Flint, by the way, was making busy leaping for and tackling anything that came near him. That was one thing that hasn't changed, but when the other players all work with him, he looks a class act.

The first came from a fantastic bit of advantage from the referee but typical of the problems our two forwards were causing running off the defenders and making themselves available. Abraham was regularly bundled over, but on this occasion Tomlin didn't wait for the whistle and just scooped up the ball and (as so often before he tired) ran on goal, this time with the easy chance to score.

If the first was a fortuitous break in the game - but in my opinion earned just by the manner in which our front two were drifting and working the defence as opposed to the recent best of knocking it up to Wilbraham while everyone else in red was static -  then the second goal was pure class. We got the ball to Cotterill on the right who raced forward and played an early, fizzing low cross into the box (again, something we just haven't been doing). Begging our forwards to win it. Putting the Huddersfield defenders into problems. 

Tammy got his split second timing right to get goal side of his marker as it arrived and bury it first time in the bottom corner. Simply sensational, a Premiership finish for a goal of speed and strength that oozed class and was a testament to pace and movement we haven't seen from a City team since, well, September? And right on the stroke of a 59th minute half time, exactly what Lee Johnson needed to setup a rallying half time team talk. We've thrown away two goal leads several times, but not being this bright.

And so it was, we came out after half time like a team possessed. A slick move saw O'Dowda denied a near certain goal with a header at close range. Huddersfield had been open from the start but more so in the second half and this played to City's forgotten strengths. Without two banks of four to break down, and with Korey and Joe Bryan getting tight to and closing down attacks and then powering forward with the ball, we got situations where we had options and could release Tammy, Tomlin or O'Dowda at will.

Flint and Wright, beasts the pair of them, were first to everything that came near them, Pack and O'Neil were streetwise to everything in midfield, and we weathered Huddersfield attempts to get into the game. If anything it was like seeing the City team of the past six months - run out of ideas and reduced to pot shots from 25 yards. So the third wasn't a surprise. From a corner we had their defenders in full on panic mode, O'Neil knocked the second ball back into the box and Flint applied the backheel. Delerium. Limbs everywhere.

Before the end we had a fourth, Joe Bryan, a player possessed by god knows what - a throwback performance to our promotion season - raced forward with a never say die attitude that was so typical of him last night and so atypical of him this season. Inside the box with a defender closing he rode the challenge and launched himself to the floor. By a stroke of luck, the referee, who had allowed the Huddersfield number 10 to dive all game, got into the party spirit and awarded the penalty. Cotterill nearly took the roof off the net off. Pandemonium!

A well oiled Ashton Gate crowd, long since boisterous and noisy, had their Friday night made. If ever a group of fans deserved a night like this it was City. We've been well and truly through the mill home and away with awful football and ever worse results with no sight of the kind of football that dominates games and opposition. This wasn't just respite, this was a performance that was earned and hopefully season defining. We have 8 more games to play with the same guts, determination and self believe, and we'll be fine.

Well done Lee Johnson - I didn't think you had it in you, I still don't, but I take my hat off to you for whatever you said to the players before that one. Keep it simple, play to your strengths, believe in yourselves, play you game, don't worry about what Huddersfield want to do. Whatever it was, it was unlike anything I've seen since Fulham away (better, arguably) and more than enough evidence that if you play a settled team with 2 up top, hard working full backs, and back yourself going forward... you're far too good to go down.

Fielding 7 Wasn't overworked thanks to the stellar defending but had a few things to do including a save at his near post at 2-0 and did it well. Looks so much less fragile and prone to error that Giefer
Korey Smith 10 CHAMPIONSHIP FULL BACK SIGHTING ... picked up where he left off at Wigan. Barring when he was rusty post injury, this has been going on for years, I love this guy, it's like he steps onto the pitch wanting to be one of the best players on the pitch and puts the work in required to do so. No one gets the better of him. Just a class act.
Joe Bryan 10 CHAMPIONSHIP FULL BACK SIGHTING PART 2.... or even just a JOE BRYAN SIGHTING.... Wow, just wow, no idea where that came from, best performance of the season by a country mile, it was like he had woken up to all the criticism this season, OR had seen how Korey performed at Wigan and decided, I want a piece of this. Just brilliant.
Flint 9 As per, an absolute warrior, wins everything, battles for everything, will be kicking anything that comes near him in his sleep this weekend.
Wright 8 Really getting an understanding with Flint, they hold their shape and know who should go to the ball. Streetwise and solid.
O'Neil 7 Sounds odd to say, but easily our poorest play on a night when no one really was. A couple of brilliant runs in midfield offset by some careless or even chaotic passing or lazy flicks at other times. Certainly the weakest link but a big part of the momentum when we built forward.
Pack 8 Wasn't passing backwards today, backed himself and got his foot on the ball and looked to go forward. Vintage Pack. Also towards the end streetwise enough to take the foul and break the game up. Huddersfield's open play gave him the time and space, and he kindly obliged.
Cotterill 8 As he has been since he returned, pace and determination, leads by example, and importantly gets his head up and sees what is happening and who to get the ball to, unlucky with two dangerous breaks in the second half that we didn't thread the ball to him as he was clear, but consistently a willing runner, and as emphatic a penalty as you will see!
O'Dowda 9 Has been great for weeks now, am always surprised when he is dropped, shaping up to be a class act who starts with the most important attribute: work - knows where to get back and be when we haven't got the ball, and when we have got the ball is deceptively strong and confident on the ball getting forward, is going to be a real asset 
Tomlin 9 Absolutely knackered after an hour, but what an hour it was. Playing off Tammy up front he caused all sorts of problems, when you get him into space with just defenders to beat, as opposed to working deep out of midfield having to create miracles, he is a different player, full of smart touches and the self belief to take players on. Doesn't always get it right, but a dream for a poacher like Tammy to play around, creates the panic which others can then thrive on, gives defenders too much to think about.
Abraham 9 Grew up a little today, class act who beats players for fun with his first touch, but today we saw a more streetwise performance too, buying fouls in the second half (to be fair he was getting kicked about something rotten) but just love his movement and hustle, always looking to spring the defence and his goal was pure instinct and pace. They had a torrid time marking him.

All errors and omissions excepted, as I have been celebrating for most of the night :ill:

Ole, an exceptional analysis with great detail and description.  Where did you find the time to write that?  I feel you should have a job writing for City, perhaps a special feature in the programme.

Your summary of the players is almost as exciting to read as it is to watch the game!  Thrilling post!

We didn't play great football - it was a scrappy game. What won it for us was sheer determination, combined with good tactics. That's what I don't really get about football - how a team can completely negate the opposition simply by being hungry for every ball. Surely, all the other team has to do is match fire with fire?

25 minutes ago, lenred said:

Superb report as always mate. Would disagree about O'Neil being our worst player but that's just splitting hairs. What a night.  

Having watched the highlights again for about the 20th time O'Neil plays a major contribution in three of the goals - first one great harrying by three (or four??) of our players on our touchline for O'Neil to break free with the ball and play great long pass up to Tammy ...  Second goal it is his pass that sets Cotterill free ... Third goal - OK maybe not great contribution but it is his fluffed shot that Flint so superbly flicks into the net ...

We hunted in packs , won every loose ball and attacked with purpose . 

We also scored first , second , Third and fourth . 

More clinical than recently .

As for Huddersfield, they were stunned.

Admittedly they were without one first choice centre back and had Hogg stretchered off but they looked well beaten .

The lads have set the standard.

11 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

We didn't play great football - it was a scrappy game. What won it for us was sheer determination, combined with good tactics. That's what I don't really get about football - how a team can completely negate the opposition simply by being hungry for every ball. Surely, all the other team has to do is match fire with fire?

I think you may have commented on the wrong thread dude... easy to do though...

I thought at times our passing and movement were sublime.  Reminiscent of the promotion season in parts.  We did a real number on Huddersfield from the first whistle and I personally think you do the team a massive disservice with that comment.

Was a great team performance and a performance to be proud of, but now we have set the bar and we have to achieve this performance every game. If we play with the same intensity and work rate for the rest of the season we will get out of trouble easily.

Just a shame we didn't have this standard set for the previous 20 games.....we could have been fighting for the right to get in the Prem!

C'mon City keep it up!

16 minutes ago, Chessels Chick said:

Having watched the highlights again for about the 20th time O'Neil plays a major contribution in three of the goals - first one great harrying by three (or four??) of our players on our touchline for O'Neil to break free with the ball and play great long pass up to Tammy ...  Second goal it is his pass that sets Cotterill free ... Third goal - OK maybe not great contribution but it is his fluffed shot that Flint so superbly flicks into the net ...

To be fair it wasn't until I watched the game back when I got back from the pub after the match that I realised what a contribution he'd made.  Proper captains performance amongst so many brilliant performances. Korey back to his absolute best as well. Incredible. 

2 minutes ago, yardy said:

Was a great team performance and a performance to be proud of, but now we have set the bar and we have to achieve this performance every game. If we play with the same intensity and work rate for the rest of the season we will get out of trouble easily.

Just a shame we didn't have this standard set for the previous 20 games.....we could have been fighting for the right to get in the Prem!

C'mon City keep it up!

I left the ground feeling this exact feeling. We should never ever have got ourselves into this mess and with more performances like this and our decent start it could have been a much different season.

But we are where we are and we must firstly secure our future and then take what ever steps are necessary to avoid this again.

A good night for City and if you, Ole, are not a sport's journalist, then you are doing a very good imitation of one.

I admit that before the game I was again worried by the fact that LJ had appeared to set us up at 4-5-1 to match Huddersfield and I expected a dull dour first half as we sat back to contain. For the first time in a long time, I was proved wrong and at times, we out-pressed the side recognised as the best pressers in the league. I won't find fault with any City player's performance.

Thanks to the fans for acknowledging that Hogg could be seriously hurt and not screaming abuse for time wasting. The Greg Halfords of this world should take note that injury should never be feigned.

Also an appreciation of Philip Billing the Danish, Huddersfield midfielder. If he became available in the summer, I'd break the bank for him to come to City.

And if SL has any spare cash after that, a similar offer for Tammy. What a superb strikers goal he scored, reminded me of days gone by with Super Bob, Tom Ritchie and Big John.

Great write up @Olé. I wanted to find a thread to mention Callum O'Dowda. What a player this young man is. He allows us to play Joe Bryan at LB because he'll track back and might even be a better defender than our Joe. I still cringe thinking about the thread with all the things Wes Burns father alledgedly said. How Callum was an average prospect and we spent too much on him. I've been saying for months he should be playing on the left in front of Joe. Him and Joe done very well at Newcastle as well. I think he's a premier league prospect. His final product needs work but most 20 year olds need to work on that. 

Thought everyone played well and I couldn't pick a standout because everyone played that well. Funnily enough, this is the second consecutive thrashing we've given to Huddersfield at home. Wish we could play them at AG the rest of the season. Was a good night and it's a win no one expected and could be pivotal in staying up. 

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

I think you may have commented on the wrong thread dude... easy to do though...

I thought at times our passing and movement were sublime.  Reminiscent of the promotion season in parts.  We did a real number on Huddersfield from the first whistle and I personally think you do the team a massive disservice with that comment.

Each to their own I suppose. I don't remember a lot of super-slick football - it wasn't a pretty match to watch. That takes nothing away from the team, all of whom looked like they were ready to die for the cause and stuck to the gameplan well.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Great report Rob and spot on for me about O'Neil, not really noticed this before but his recovery pace is really ropey, as soon as the man and ball are past him he is stuffed.

That aside though we were superb, many players having their best games of the season.

The one bit I'd disagree with @Olé(and you) is the Gary O'Neil comment.  I thought he was MOTM.  It's the stuff he does off the ball, that doesn't get noticed, that makes him an essential part of our team.

I agree though that once he has lost his man it's game over.  The same is true for Pack, who also did a hell of a lot of covering and tracking back last night.

In the long term,I'd partner O'Neill with Hegeler who seems to have a burst of pace if needed.

8 minutes ago, Chivs said:

The one bit I'd disagree with @Olé(and you) is the Gary O'Neil comment.  I thought he was MOTM.  It's the stuff he does off the ball, that doesn't get noticed, that makes him an essential part of our team.

I agree though that once he has lost his man it's game over.  The same is true for Pack, who also did a hell of a lot of covering and tracking back last night.

In the long term,I'd partner O'Neill with Hegeler who seems to have a burst of pace if needed.

Maybe this is the main reason the Korey Smith at RB experiment has to be a matter of expediency or otherwise we go back to Brownhill?

Agree about Pack, he has the same flaw, but does an amazing amount of covering and would always be in my XI..

3 hours ago, Olé said:

possibly the best match report I have ever read, thanks for taking the time. 

Archived