IGNORED

Bailey Wright

GrahamC

If, (and it still is a big if) we stay up this season, his arrival in January might well turn out to be the turning point.

We have consistently scored enough goals to stay up (currently more than Wednesday, Derby or Villa) but have been a Christmas club at the back all season.

Wright certainly is only an adequate distributor of the ball at best, but alongside the equally no nonsense Flint, we suddenly look so much harder to score against.

What this means in the longer term, who knows? As I cannot see how the popular Magnusson or Moore (the former certainly won't get a go at LB, I feel) can be accommodated in the team as a result and the 3-5-2 experiment seems over for now.

That can all wait though, what only matters is staying up and a continuation of our recent defensive meanness is surely our best chance of this.

I think he is not going to set the world alight, but rarely makes errors. Of course better players help, but always think of the back four as a unit. Give them time together, and they get better. Will be interesting if LJ wants Smith out of that line next season, and really have not rated Bryan in that role at all, but he was great yesterday. Got to stick with that to the end of this season if we can, and then reevaluate.

59 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Competition at CB should keep them all on their toes, which can only be a good thing. 

I guess RB could be an option for Wright but Korey looks solid and composed there.

I suspect KS will remain RB until end of season.  LJ did state he also gives us a lot in midfield (when firing at 100%) and it is a balencing act for the team.  KS seems at last to be over his niggles and what a difference !   

24 minutes ago, shelts said:

Liking Korey Smith at right back. Master stroke from the boss 

A master stroke. No. A good decision eventually...based upon what we have, definitely. Korey has played there earlier in his career, but right now looks as good as anything out there!

9 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

A master stroke. No. A good decision eventually...based upon what we have, definitely. Korey has played there earlier in his career, but right now looks as good as anything out there!

Like I z a master stroke!!

With regards to Moore, don't forget he did play quite a few games for his old club at RB. A back four of the following:

Moore - Flint - Wright - Mags

Wouldn't be disastourous for next season. This is presuming we stay up, and of course that nobody leaves in the summer.

A Gashead I know came back from Bury raving how impressed he was with Moore on Tuesday, so that sounds positive if you believe a Gashead can recognise a promising player!

Regarding our defence our players always seem to favour Frankie who is very popular with the squad it seems. (He has become a Dad for the 2nd time this morning too, congrats Frankie!) Wright seems a nailed on choice to partner Flint at the moment, he's a very laid back Aussie and they seem to suit each other. Magnusson will get his chance, I'm sorry he hasn't played much but he's always very positive and is excellent with the fans, his time will come as he's very young still.

I know Moore is an England international and was quite an exciting signing but let's not forget our own Zak Vyner who is the same age and has appeared more often in the first team, generally acquitting himself quite well. He's just as much an option for the right back position.

Great to see good things being said about Korey again, it wasn't that long ago some were saying he wasn't up to it or finished (due to injury or otherwise).

I'm just surprised it took LJ so long to move him there considering his dealings with him at Oldham, maybe he was waiting on his complete recovery:clap::fingerscrossed:

9 hours ago, bpexile said:

Great to see good things being said about Korey again, it wasn't that long ago some were saying he wasn't up to it or finished (due to injury or otherwise).

I'm just surprised it took LJ so long to move him there considering his dealings with him at Oldham, maybe he was waiting on his complete recovery:clap::fingerscrossed:

I don`t think anyone was saying he wasn`t up to it, more a concern that he wouldn`t be the same player after his injuries which he has now proved beyond doubt he is thankfully.

As others have said, could this be LJ`s `Barnsley` moment? Great if it is.

12 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I agree....LJ played Korey at right back when they were both at Oldham, so hardly a 'master stroke' - just reverting to a previously tried position switch....

Archived