IGNORED

The Rules

Chivs

We had another outburst of outrage from the crowd last night when the Huddersfield defender clearly passed the ball back to the goalie.  Foul!

I must admit to sitting smugly thinking "doesn't everyone know the rules"?  Well, I didn't last year when exactly the same thing happened. I was up and shouting at the ref.

Then someone came on here and explained that "above the knee" is now OK [I think! But that's the point of the post...]

I remember 2 years of all of us screeching at the linesman whenever a player placed the ball just outside the triangle at a corner.

Then, someone on here explained that it's OK as long as any part of the ball is over the line.

And, earlier in the season, Tammy was given offside inside his own half!! Doesn't the ref know the rules?  Then someone on here pointed out that the offence is given where the player touches the ball, not where the offside occurred.

UtOh, OK (sorry ref).

Firstly, why don't we get the club to provide a couple of pages, in the first match programme, when major rules are changed?  Perhaps they could also throughout the season put the wording for different rules on the screens before the game.  This might at least help Tammy and Flint. :thumbsup:

Secondly, why on earth has FIFA changed all these rules? It makes intuitive, natural sense to say the ball must be entirely enclosed within the triangle at a corner?

Surely, it makes sense to say that offside is given from the place of the offence?  And, the pass back is OK with chest and head but otherwise not.

What advantage has football gained from these rule changes?  I suggest refs are getting unfairly criticised because FIFA are making stupid, pointless amendments.

Had to look that offside one up! Do not recall it, but Tammy must have come back from an offside position in the opposing half when the ball was played.

a player CAN NOT be in an offside POSITION in their own half
a player CAN commit an offside OFFENCE in their own half if they go back into their own half from an offside position 

With the exception of offences in the goal area, throughout the Laws every free kick is awarded from the place where the offence occurs so it is logical that this should also apply to offside.

Now I know. I am now wondering if the ball went miles up in the sky, and Tammy was quick enough to get back to head it out from the box, is it a penalty?

Yeah, I was screaming at the ref for failing to give us something for the pass back. My bad.

I didn't actually notice that it came off the defender's knee. And I assumed that it would still count as a 'kick' even if I had seen that.

I'd make a pretty crap referee.

Any rule/law changes made by FIFA are determined by committee who sit around in plus premises enjoying luxurious food - all gratis......making meaningless minor alterations that go largely unnoticed. I only realised fairly recently that a ko the ball doesn't need to move forward......I mean ffs! What are these guys on?

On a smaller scale we get Bowls England sitting around making completely unnecessary changes like what to call a bowl that's level with the jack? It always used to be "jack high" but now it's called "jack level"....,,wtf? 

Which one of the four players marks the scorecard? It always used to be the second player but now it's the skips who decides. I always think that if it's not broken, don't fix it.......

16 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Had to look that offside one up! Do not recall it, but Tammy must have come back from an offside position in the opposing half when the ball was played.

a player CAN NOT be in an offside POSITION in their own half
a player CAN commit an offside OFFENCE in their own half if they go back into their own half from an offside position 

With the exception of offences in the goal area, throughout the Laws every free kick is awarded from the place where the offence occurs so it is logical that this should also apply to offside.

Now I know. I am now wondering if the ball went miles up in the sky, and Tammy was quick enough to get back to head it out from the box, is it a penalty?

Offside is indirect so no it would not be a penalty

9 hours ago, Xiled said:

Yeah, I was screaming at the ref for failing to give us something for the pass back. My bad.

I didn't actually notice that it came off the defender's knee. And I assumed that it would still count as a 'kick' even if I had seen that.

I'd make a pretty crap referee.

TBF to the defender he did make sure he obviously bent his leg and made a big deal of kneeing it back just to make sure the ref got it right.

On the subject of penalties wouldn`t it be fun if the kick did have to be taken from where the offence occurred? I bet players wouldn`t dive right on the edge of the box if that was the case and a lot more would try to stay on their feet a bit longer.

You could also have the amusing sight of a player taking one from a yard out - even our Lee couldn`t get it over the bar from there could he?:ph34r:

Firstly, it's the laws!! 

Since the pass back to the keeper law was changed ( 25 years ago ish?? ) you have always been able to knee or thigh the ball to the keeper. 

The Tammy offside one was because he came back from an offside position into his own half and touched the ball.

Ive seen that there are other law changes being looked into, one involves penalties after extra time, it has been proposed that instead of teams taking them alternatively, it may be changed to teams taking 2 in a row, after the initial first penalty. Apparently studies have shown that the team taking the first penalty have a massive advantage.

it's still at its early stages at the moment from what I read!

10 hours ago, Chivs said:

Well, whilst we are all debating the rules of the game :whistle: can anyone tell me if the 6-second rule still applies?

It seems that Frank takes about 40 seconds to get rid of the ball...

That is a good question, I play in my goal my self and I do believe it is still 6 seconds but you need to be completely in control of the ball i.e with 2 hands.

as for the back pass, he threw his body at the ball it wasn't a direct pass, he's lunged at the ball. I don't doubt though that some refs would of give it!

55 minutes ago, BCFChayden said:

That is a good question, I play in my goal my self and I do believe it is still 6 seconds but you need to be completely in control of the ball i.e with 2 hands.

as for the back pass, he threw his body at the ball it wasn't a direct pass, he's lunged at the ball. I don't doubt though that some refs would of give it!

He kneed it to the keeper, that's fine and within the laws of the game.

Good suggestion OP, but think the education should come from the refereeing body. (I think i may have seen one tbh). Short video clubs can share with players and fans alike. Could play on scoreboard too.  

Doesn't rely on each club's interpretation and not everyone buys a programme.

The thing with committee's such as rule making ones is that they have two options to work by.

1) Everything is fine. No need to do anything.

2) We could really do with making a few changes.

Option 1 would see the committee disbanded or at the very least downgraded. 

Option 2 would see the committee continue, potentially expand, grow in influence and most important of all, get more money.

Hence its rule changes every year.

9 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

The thing with committee's such as rule making ones is that they have two options to work by.

1) Everything is fine. No need to do anything.

2) We could really do with making a few changes.

Option 1 would see the committee disbanded or at the very least downgraded. 

Option 2 would see the committee continue, potentially expand, grow in influence and most important of all, get more money.

Hence its rule changes every year.

And you missed the obvious one; those meetings will be held in such footballing hotspots as The Bahamas, Las Vegas, Bali, Tahiti or Costa Rica.

17 minutes ago, BCFChayden said:

I will be the first to admit though I always did think it was the waist up...

The other one to remember is that a player can't manipulate a back pass. For instance, you can't juggle the ball with your feet, flick it up to your head and head it to the keeper. 

2 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

The other one to remember is that a player can't manipulate a back pass. For instance, you can't juggle the ball with your feet, flick it up to your head and head it to the keeper. 

Funnily enough I know this one, they do like to change the rules though don't they?

1 minute ago, Portland Bill said:

I wondered about that so thanks for straightening it out for me Bill.

Can one player `set up` another though? A player traps the ball and lifts it onto a teammate`s head who then heads it back to the keeper - I guess that would be OK if an unlikely thing to do!

26 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

Good suggestion OP, but think the education should come from the refereeing body. (I think i may have seen one tbh). Short video clubs can share with players and fans alike. Could play on scoreboard too.  

Doesn't rely on each club's interpretation and not everyone buys a programme.

That's a great idea.  The videos could be shared with referees also!  I like the re-use suggestion.

Perhaps they (the refereeing body) could use some of the high profile pundits like Savage, Lawrenson etc. to make the videos. Then they'd know they've already ticked off one set of people who don't seem to know the rules ("..not a foul because he took the ball first...", "...he's entitled to go down there...").

20 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Can one player `set up` another though? A player traps the ball and lifts it onto a teammate`s head who then heads it back to the keeper - I guess that would be OK if an unlikely thing to do!

Yes they can, as the manipulation bit only refers to 'one' player.

12 hours ago, Chivs said:

Well, whilst we are all debating the rules of the game :whistle: can anyone tell me if the 6-second rule still applies?

It seems that Frank takes about 40 seconds to get rid of the ball...

Is that the rule where a player drops an energy bar on the pitch (that the Physio has brought on)?

41 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Yes, me and my centre back partner on Sundays used to do it.  We had a good side and our keeper didn't get many touches, so we;d chip the ball across the box and head it back to him.

6 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

One of the most pathetic rules in football. 

Iirc, the actual laws of the game refer to this manoeuvre as "trickery". Punishable by an indirect free kick. 

Personally if you're a CB and you have the guts to perform a little trick to get the ball back to your GK's hands you should be lauded! Not punished.

One rule that needs reviewing is the fact a defender can nigh on assault a player as long as the ball is rolling out (however slowly) for a goal kick.

I know it's the same for both teams but to me obstruction is obstruction no matter where it is on the pitch.

Archived