IGNORED

1 from 4 with 8 games to go?

WestfieldRed

So with 8 games to go it looks like Rotherham (17) and Wigan (34) will most likely be relegated to League One.

Blackburn are sitting in 22nd place with 40 points, then come Burton, Forest and City with 41.

So assuming that Birmingham, Ipswich and Wolves (all 45) won't be dragged into the scrap, that leaves 4 teams to fight over the final relegation place.

Forgive my optimism but I like our chances of picking up more points than Blackburn and Burton in the run-in, so.....

Panic over?

10 minutes ago, WestfieldRed said:

So with 8 games to go it looks like Rotherham (17) and Wigan (34) will most likely be relegated to League One.

Blackburn are sitting in 22nd place with 40 points, then come Burton, Forest and City with 41.

So assuming that Birmingham, Ipswich and Wolves (all 45) won't be dragged into the scrap, that leaves 4 teams to fight over the final relegation place.

Forgive my optimism but I like our chances of picking up more points than Blackburn and Burton in the run-in, so.....

Panic over?

Birmingham have been woeful. Would not put it past them

42 minutes ago, WestfieldRed said:

Panic over?

Not in my book  - that's if you're panicing of course (I'd prefer 'extremely concerned'). It's far too close to call with 24 points to play for and 4 teams currently duking it out. There is cause for optimisim provided we can keep a relatively settled team for the remainder of the campain & beat our rivals - certainly Blackburn - and so much the better if by beating Wolves we drag them into the fight.

Lose a game, hit the bottom three, win and come out of it. Lose two in a row and it'll be very tough. Our next two games are against teams that are playing reasonably well so I'd take 3 points + now, as long as that includes not losing to Wolves :)

I wouldn't write the 3 on 45 points as safe yet. They have more room to play with of course but with a Saturday Tuesday coming up a few teams could leap frog them in a 3 day span if they lose both. 

For the record, wolves seem to have picked up some form and still have a game in hand on most. I think they're safe. Ipswich will probably draw their way to safety. Birmingham picked up a surprise point today but have been on a horrid run and for me as likely as us to go down. Blackburn are at a point where the draws are nice but starting to not be enough. Burton I think have a tough run and aren't good away from home. Forest have been poor all season and I think could be the most likely to go down of the lot. 

3 minutes ago, westonred said:

1st April,  3 of the bottom 6 have very tough away games Burton away to Huddersfield , Blackburn are at Brighton Wigan are at Newcastle. Forest play Wolves as well which would be a handy draw for us

I'd take a Wolves win though. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

I'd take a Wolves win though. 

Agreed wolves proving they are too good to go down. The games in hand they have and remaining fixtures they will manage to get the points to stay up.

If it comes to it, them beating Forest could really help! 

37 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

Said a month ago Brum have problem. Not better now they are. We have to play them home the last game. They can go down. Ipswich never win, they are not safe. We have to do the work, last six points, more then important.

Yoda? 

2 hours ago, WestfieldRed said:

Panic over?

Liking your thinking, although I've never felt the need to panic.  We're not going down.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I would love it just love it if we sent Birmingham down on the last day.

I  remember in 98-99 under Benny our 1-2 loss to Birmingham. Awful penalty to them and Akinbyi goal disallowed. Was a bad tempered game too from memory, seem to remember Trevor Francis had some sort of disorder.

Yes, I remember it well.

He twisted the ear of one of our stewards, right in front of us, just before going down the tunnel with a huge arrogant smirk on his face.

I don't know whether the steward reported him, but I don't remember any action being taken.

Having been an admirer of Francis for many years, the incident turned me totally against him, and his team, considering they had also conned the ref throughout the game.

Bastard!!!

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I would love it just love it if we sent Birmingham down on the last day.

I  remember in 98-99 under Benny our 1-2 loss to Birmingham. Awful penalty to them and Akinbyi goal disallowed. Was a bad tempered game too from memory, seem to remember Trevor Francis had some sort of disorder.

tbf I agree with you :)

I think people are being a bit premature in putting the teams on 45 out of it. 5 points is not much at all and could easily be overhauled over 8 games. I think Ipswich have one win in 12 and Birmingham one win in 18. All it would take is Blackburn to win their next fixture and us, Forest and Burton to draw and they could be within 3 points of the bottom three.

If I were a supporter of Ipswich Brum or Wolves I know I'd be looking over my shoulder. However it would take all the teams below to pick up points consistently. 

That must have been a huge blow to Burton and we know how difficult they are to come back from. 

Need something from Brentford in a fortnight to keep the pressure on everywhere!!

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think people are being a bit premature in putting the teams on 45 out of it. 5 points is not much at all and could easily be overhauled over 8 games. I think Ipswich have one win in 12 and Birmingham one win in 18. All it would take is Blackburn to win their next fixture and us, Forest and Burton to draw and they could be within 3 points of the bottom three.

Don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting those on 45 points are safe. I was only discounting them to emphasise the point that we're not the worst team left in the fight.

The more I think about it the more convinced I am that we'll stay up....

Now the question is, does Johnson get the chance to correct his mistakes next season or are the fans not willing to give him that chance??

https://m.oddschecker.com/m/football/english/championship/championship/relegation

The bookies now have us as the least likely of the four teams mentioned to be relegated. City are currently best priced at 13-2. 

That said, I'm slightly surprised that the bookies have Blackburn at slightly shorter odds than Burton to go down. Mowbray has done a reasonable job in his short time at Blackburn so far (although they've drawn a lot recently) and letting a 3-1 lead slip to lose 5-3 might turn out to be very damaging for morale at Burton. 

Hopefully Wolves winning three in a row (and now looking a lot more like surviving than they did 8 days ago) might mean their visit to Ashton Gate in April is less of a six-pointer than it might otherwise have been - they won't be completely safe by the time they come to AG but the further away they are from the bottom three, the less desperate they might be for 3 points when we play them.

7 hours ago, North London Red said:

https://m.oddschecker.com/m/football/english/championship/championship/relegation

The bookies now have us as the least likely of the four teams mentioned to be relegated. City are currently best priced at 13-2. 

That said, I'm slightly surprised that the bookies have Blackburn at slightly shorter odds than Burton to go down. Mowbray has done a reasonable job in his short time at Blackburn so far (although they've drawn a lot recently) and letting a 3-1 lead slip to lose 5-3 might turn out to be very damaging for morale at Burton. 

Hopefully Wolves winning three in a row (and now looking a lot more like surviving than they did 8 days ago) might mean their visit to Ashton Gate in April is less of a six-pointer than it might otherwise have been - they won't be completely safe by the time they come to AG but the further away they are from the bottom three, the less desperate they might be for 3 points when we play them.

The Blackburn/Burton thing is a bit odd TBH given Burton`s run in

Archived