IGNORED

You Stay Classy Bristol

The Coach

Frome is quite underrated I hear, or should I say under the radar. Someone at work keeps going to gigs down there, talks highly of it- sounds like it's well deserved. If a bit of a hidden gem to most (certainly was to me).

Bristol...is an interesting choice. In many ways it ticks the boxes but people should also look at the target market of that article. House prices rising is good...and bad. Rent soaring is good...and bad. Lots of wealth here, lots of well paid jobs...but also lots of zero hours and tons of agencies. Dunno if all the stuff in the piece is entirely justified. Also described us as 'a small city that feels like a big city'- which surprises me a bit as I would at least consider this a medium sized city, if not a big one.

• If you are downsizing from London or the home counties rising rent is great. If you live here, not so much. Ditto with House prices and that';s just one example.
  • If you are relocating a business from said regions or moving here to set one up that again is a great benefit- so many agencies, so much outsourcing potential- flexible as hell. Ditto a big student population to fill said jobs with agencies being a key source to find flexible employees...not so great for the Labour market here in some ways.
  • Then again it could be a business which actually employs people direct and pays okay. Again a double edged sword like property.

I think Bristol is great overall incidentally but the Sunday Times article has elements of a puff piece- I have the full article up in front of me.

Had the 'pleasure' of travelling all over England/UK following City. Some massive s***hol areas ranging from Peterborough to Luton. We don't realise how lucky we are in Bristol to have such a lovely City with lots going on.

The big downer for me is the godawful traffic congestion and rising house prices. Most Bristolians looking to buy look elsewhere like Weston, Clevedon and South Wales for their homes as Bristol is so unaffordable these days.

Archived