IGNORED

Bristol City Women Cup win / Quarter final HOME on Sunday (Merged)

Jerseybean

Was just about to mention that, great result well done ladies.

What did make me chuckle was this picture that popped up on my Facebook feed.  Bet this Matthews has a better attitude than her male namesake.

FB_IMG_1489952575490.jpg

Was this even mentioned on Friday night? (I might have missed it if it was 'cus I had ear phones in for commentary most of the night.) Like to see how Claire Emslie does this year, I remember seeing a video of her scoring a fantastic goal last season. She looks a proper footballer.

The first league game of the season is at Ashton Gate after our game v Barnsley. I'm not sure I can face hanging around for over an hour after our game for the action to start but If I can leave and come back I might be up for it (depending on how City are doing at the time, I'm not coming back if I'm sulky 'cus we've lost ad are in the bottom three).

Very good result today at the SGS. First proper game of the year, unlike Millwall who are in the middle of the Series. The Vixens came out at a high tempo right from the start and never really gave the visitors a sniff, in what were wet and windy conditions.

New signing Millie Turner looks a steal, and slotted in neatly in the middle; youngster Lauren Hemp was a constant threat up front and both scored. Lilly Agg (signed from Brighton) came on for the last part of the game and also looked a quality acquisition. But best of all was the return of Jas Matthews, who was making her first appearance in nearly two years after shredding her Achilles Tendon. Played like she hadn't missed a match and had a good hour before being rested.

The draw for the next round (the Quarter-finals) is tomorrow morning, which is just as well because the fixtures are for next Sunday!

16 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Very good result today at the SGS. First proper game of the year, unlike Millwall who are in the middle of the Series. The Vixens came out at a high tempo right from the start and never really gave the visitors a sniff, in what were wet and windy conditions.

New signing Millie Turner looks a steal, and slotted in neatly in the middle; youngster Lauren Hemp was a constant threat up front and both scored. Lilly Agg (signed from Brighton) came on for the last part of the game and also looked a quality acquisition. But best of all was the return of Jas Matthews, who was making her first appearance in nearly two years after shredding her Achilles Tendon. Played like she hadn't missed a match and had a good hour before being rested.

The draw for the next round (the Quarter-finals) is tomorrow morning, which is just as well because the fixtures are for next Sunday!

It should be possible to like something other than a person's post, I laughed out loud at @Erithacus 's location :) 

In the next round City are home to Man C. The best female footballer (and highest paid) in the world, an American, now plays for Man C. Could be worth watching to see how good she is.

A few years ago there was a TV drama (not the Manageress), about QPR finding a really talented female footballer, signing and then playing her in their male first team. When the League tried saying no, QPR had their lawyers work on the sexual discrimination case.

After the programme, the actress said she didn't realise how physical the men's game is.

Yes, a commendable result against the reigning league champs.  Always knew it would be a real examination of Kirk's newly assembled squad. He mentioned about having a young team and possible nerves today but must have been happy about the way they went to work.

Predictably, Man City had by far the better of the possession and attacks but the Vixens defended very solidly, trying to make the breaks count when they came. Went one down early but refused to cave in. Claire Emslie got them back in the game just before halftime when she got a shot away and pounced on the keeper's rebound. The second half was similar with regard to the possession, but both sides might have had more if the finishing was better. However, the visitors' pressure eventually tolled just a few minutes before the end when a shot from Nikita Parris got a nick on the way past Leach in goal. Disappointing not to take it into extra time but certainly didn't let Man City have an easy day out.

I think a lot of City players will have grown in stature a bit today and it will stand them in good stead for the future. Good to see Jas Matthews put in a classy shift and last almost the whole match. Jodie Brett is looking a real midfield star (although she will almost certainly return to Chelsea by the Autumn). Emslie is a top threat when she runs at opponents and Leach in goal arguably played her best today.

All in all, a good game against a title-chasing side that included World Number One Carli Lloyd and made them work for it.

#COYV

• Admin

The view from Man City:

Man City Women snatched a late 2-1 victory over Bristol City to book their place in the semi-finals of the FA Cup.

Nikita Parris’ deflected effort two minutes from time handed Nick Cushing’s side the win, after Claire Emslie had cancelled out Steph Houghton’s opener.

The result maintained the Blues’ 100% start to the season with three wins from three.

Having never reached the final, City highlighted the FA Cup as a major target ahead of the new campaign.

Their desire showed. Having started brightly, the visitors opening the scoring after just seven minutes. After Tessel Middag was thwarted by Caitlin Leach in the Bristol goal, the ball was hooked back into the box and Houghton muscled in to poke the ball over the line.

The hosts responded well to falling behind and Marie Hourihan was called into action to deny Millie Turner with an excellent low stop.

At the other end, the influential Parris was at the heart of City’s most threatening attacks – first setting up Toni Duggan who skewed wide and then crossing for Georgia Stanway to head over.

Hourihan then prevented Millie Farrow from levelling the score as the striker bore down on goal, while Parris missed the chance to double the Blues’ advantage, as her effort cleared the bar.

Bristol drew level on the stroke of half-time as Claire Emslie weaved her way into the box and drilled into the bottom corner at the second attempt.

The Blues pressed for a winner in the second half.

Carli Lloyd went close on two occasions in quick succession, forcing Leach into a fine stop and then volleying over from the resulting corner.

With the home side defending resiliently as City piled on the pressure, the tie looked to be heading for a draw but Parris had other ideas and drove a low shot goalward which ricocheted in to send Cushing’s side through.

What it means…

City progress to the semi-finals, where they will face either Birmingham, Chelsea or Liverpool.

The draw will be made on Monday 27 March at approximately 2:45pm and will be broadcast on Radio 5Live.

The final is at Wembley Stadium on Saturday 13 May.

How they lined up…

With perhaps half an eye on Thursday’s Champions League quarter-final second leg against Fortuna Hjorring, Cushing made a host of changes.

The back four of Demi Stokes, Houghton, Abbie McManus and Lucy Bronze remained the same, while Hourihan replaced Karen Bardsley.

Middag took the place of Keira Walsh in defensive midfield, just behind Carli Lloyd and Izzy Christiansen, who came in for Jill Scott.

Melissa Lawley and Kosovare Asllani were rested, making way for Toni Duggan and Parris to be employed on the wings. Stanway led the line upfront.

Archived