IGNORED

Magnussen

ciderbeans

Sorry if this has been done to death but I'm genuinely wondering what the deal is with him.

At his age, he should be playing regularly. He's a full international, of course signed from Juventus who clearly saw ability in him, he is an excellent ball playing defender who is great at heading the ball and is deceptively strong. I would go as far as saying he is our best defender yet he can't buy a game.

i know we are looking for consistency and LJ may think a solid central pairing of AF and BW suits this league but we are really wastin a serious talent who IMO, wouldn't look out of place in the prem with his style of play.

Coupled with the money spent on him, it should surely be enough reason to play him?

i do worry about players like magnussen, Moore etc who I feel have greater potential to go higher in the game yet we will waste them and another club will profit from this.

sorry if my post is disjointed, but I'm just spit balling. What are other people's thoughts on this and does anyone know anything fa rial about Magnussen's situation?

I think the current form, especially defensively, makes the selection of Wright and Flint justified.

I just want us to keep a settled team for a while and if that means the same back four as Friday for the rest of the season and we keep some consistency then so be it.

Magnusson is talented, but he's nowhere near Prem level just yet in my opinion. I think people like him a bit more than his ability warrants because he seems a good guy and is friendly on twitter.

His time will come and I don't think the intention was for him to play as regularly as he did pre-Wright. Defenders seem to decline much later than attackers and midfielders so at 24 he could easily have another 8-10 years at the peak of his ability if he looks after himself.

I also wish people would stop labouring the money spent vs playing time argument. Magnusson has years to justify the price spent on him and looks like he will and then some. It's not another Engvall situation if that's what you're implying.

10 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

Sorry if this has been done to death but I'm genuinely wondering what the deal is with him.

At his age, he should be playing regularly. He's a full international, of course signed from Juventus who clearly saw ability in him, he is an excellent ball playing defender who is great at heading the ball and is deceptively strong. I would go as far as saying he is our best defender yet he can't buy a game.

i know we are looking for consistency and LJ may think a solid central pairing of AF and BW suits this league but we are really wastin a serious talent who IMO, wouldn't look out of place in the prem with his style of play.

Coupled with the money spent on him, it should surely be enough reason to play him?

i do worry about players like magnussen, Moore etc who I feel have greater potential to go higher in the game yet we will waste them and another club will profit from this.

sorry if my post is disjointed, but I'm just spit balling. What are other people's thoughts on this and does anyone know anything fa rial about Magnussen's situation?

Think the defence has been excellent recently especially Friday night. Mags will have to wait.

11 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

It's how squad football works, as @BRISTOL86 said above, the man in his position deserves his place. As far as Taylor Moore is concerned, he has had more (no pun intended) game time at first team level than he would have got back in France. He will come through in the next couple of seasons without doubt. 

I agree with the OP as I feel Mags is our best footballing CB. He and Taylor Moore would be a good young combination. Until the last few games we were leaking goals and I am not that convinced that Flint/Wright is a combination that will move us up to the next level.

For now though we desperately need points and continuity in the team. Whatever league we are in next season I would like to see Magnusson starting as first choice CB personally. We need quality footballers in the team, not hoofers, if we are to progress.

Moving forward he should be in the side IMO. A relegation scrap...not so much.

If somehow we get safety with 2 or 3 games to go in at least one of them- possibly Brighton away- we should try Magnusson and Wright combo at the back. Not knocking Flint at all but would be interesting to see how that pair would work. Flint has been superb the last few weeks so it's a nice dilemma to have!

19 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think the current form, especially defensively, makes the selection of Wright and Flint justified.

I just want us to keep a settled team for a while and if that means the same back four as Friday for the rest of the season and we keep some consistency then so be it.

Magnusson is talented, but he's nowhere near Prem level just yet in my opinion. I think people like him a bit more than his ability warrants because he seems a good guy and is friendly on twitter.

His time will come and I don't think the intention was for him to play as regularly as he did pre-Wright. Defenders seem to decline much later than attackers and midfielders so at 24 he could easily have another 8-10 years at the peak of his ability if he looks after himself.

I also wish people would stop labouring the money spent vs playing time argument. Magnusson has years to justify the price spent on him and looks like he will and then some. It's not another Engvall situation if that's what you're implying.

I agree with this. Lots of people using the 'money spent' argument at the moment. It's too early to judge Taylor and Hordor. 

Surely you can only use that argument when a player has left, and we know how many games they played and what they were sold for.

E.G If Hordor has a great season next year and leaves for £6m, we'd all be saying "good business" and appearences this season will be forgotten.

Eitherway, every transfer is a gamble, some will be Kodjia, some Eric Djemba Djemba. 

4 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I agree with this. Lots of people using the 'money spent' argument at the moment. It's too early to judge Taylor and Hordor. 

Surely you can only use that argument when a player has left, and we know how many games they played and what they were sold for.

E.G If Hordor has a great season next year and leaves for £6m, we'd all be saying "good business" and appearences this season will be forgotten.

Eitherway, every transfer is a gamble, some will be Kodjia, some Eric Djemba Djemba. 

Yep, i'd like to think if we sold Magnusson in the summer we'd make a profit on him, in which case it's already be good business.

I hope he stays longer and improves further so he can render an even bigger profit though.

3 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

On the radio the other day they were saying that if there was one thing that Eddie Howe needs to better at Bournemouth it was in recruitment and they mentioned Lys Mousset as an example, £6m for 2 games so far. Howe might think he is an investment for the future, but that is the kind of investment we can't afford at the moment, we would have probably been thinking about paying a 1/3 of that price like we did with Kodjia and selling him on to a Bournemouth for a profit. I think from their point of view Bournemouth should have taken that route too.

24 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

On the radio the other day they were saying that if there was one thing that Eddie Howe needs to better at Bournemouth it was in recruitment and they mentioned Lys Mousset as an example, £6m for 2 games so far. Howe might think he is an investment for the future, but that is the kind of investment we can't afford at the moment, we would have probably been thinking about paying a 1/3 of that price like we did with Kodjia and selling him on to a Bournemouth for a profit. I think from their point of view Bournemouth should have taken that route too.

I know he was a player we were after. Shows how crazy the transfer market is - 14 goals in 34 games in the French second division, there is a bit of a buzz about him, several teams go in and bang, someone gives £6m for a completely unproven player that really should have been signed for £1/2m and spent a year or two in the Championship first. 

33 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yep, i'd like to think if we sold Magnusson in the summer we'd make a profit on him, in which case it's already be good business.

I hope he stays longer and improves further so he can render an even bigger profit though.

My feeling is that we will receive a good offer for him in the summer and he will move on.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

He's a left sided CB and Bailey Wright has been better than him. It's really that simple IMO. 

I don't believe that it actually is that simple.

When he was signed as a left sided CB who can play left back and yet LJ has persisted with an incredibly struggling Joe Bryan and the equally poor Golbourne in that position, yes Joe played well on Friday but come on that performance was a long time coming and will count for nothing if he reverts back to the poor form of the past 5 months.

Also I believe playing Magnusson would make any enforced switch to 3 at the back easier and I believe Joe is better in centre midfield than Pack.

He's seemingly happy here & I've said it plenty of times before but none of us know what goes on at training or outside of the match day environment.

I would expect that LJ has had a decent chat with HM & the rest of the squad for that matter & discussed the situation to explain what's happening.

There is no reason why every conversation & meeting needs to divulged with the rest of the world but people love reading more into a situation & making a mountain out of molehill.

May I suggest that we just allow the club to go about their business without worrying about something that isn't worth worrying about?!?

3 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

He's seemingly happy here & I've said it plenty of times before but none of us know what goes on at training or outside of the match day environment.

I would expect that LJ has had a decent chat with HM & the rest of the squad for that matter & discussed the situation to explain what's happening.

There is no reason why every conversation & meeting needs to divulged with the rest of the world but people love reading more into a situation & making a mountain out of molehill.

May I suggest that we just allow the club to go about their business without worrying about something that isn't worth worrying about?!?

I here this quoted a lot and of course their is a truth to it but conversely there is also the evidence of the many 90 minutes of game time over the past 5 months, that suggests that the left back position remains a huge problem and this guy has never been afforded a proper opportunity to see what he can do in that position.

15 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

You're worrying me

15 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I here this quoted a lot and of course their is a truth to it but conversely there is also the evidence of the many 90 minutes of game time over the past 5 months, that suggests that the left back position remains a huge problem and this guy has never been afforded a proper opportunity to see what he can do in that position.

Do you not think that LJ may of tried HM out at left-back during training?

Maybe he has & in LJ's view HM isn't able to perform there & rather than putting another 'square peg in a round hole' (another quote that gets banded about on here regularly), he has tried to do as so many people want him to do & play people in their correct positions.

Another thing that gets banded about on here is that HM plays at left-back for Iceland!! But exactly how many times has he played there for Iceland? Because as of November 2016 he had played 8 times for Iceland in 2 years!! That hardly makes him an experienced left-back even if all of his appearances for Iceland were at left-back & seeing as he didn't make an appearance during last years Euros, I'd suggest that any appearances may of only been friendlies & probably not against the best of opponents.

There is very little to back up this forum demand that HM can actually play at left-back & I'd rather trust someone who see's HM in training throughout the year.

35 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I don't believe that it actually is that simple.

When he was signed as a left sided CB who can play left back and yet LJ has persisted with an incredibly struggling Joe Bryan and the equally poor Golbourne in that position, yes Joe played well on Friday but come on that performance was a long time coming and will count for nothing if he reverts back to the poor form of the past 5 months.

Also I believe playing Magnusson would make any enforced switch to 3 at the back easier and I believe Joe is better in centre midfield than Pack.

Maybe LJ has tried him at LB in training and doesn't think he's any better there than what we have? Or maybe he just wants to keep his position consistent to avoid him becoming a jack of all trades type player, something Joe Bryan's game has ultimately suffered for. Or maybe Magnusson himself wants to be an out and out centre back and doesn't want to be a left back? 

I doubt there's any great conspiracy but this is OTIB :) 

We look more solid IMO with Bailey Wright in the team so I can't see any reason to change the centre backs as things are, now more than ever with 3 clean sheets in the last 4 games.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't get why we can't afford it though. These are low fees compared to what some in the division spend. We spent 7m roughly on Engvall, Mags, COD and Moore. Mags has already been linked to the prem for 8 figures. Point is, the investment is made knowing we can nurture them into players that command a bigger fee. Kodjia 3m sold for 15m. I think it's a relatively low amount for opportunity of a high return. Not just in money either but in returns on the pitch when they come good. Dwight Gayle as an example is a low risk 10m signing but they're paying him a 10m signings worth of wages. Whereas when developed we have top players on salaries we can afford. There is some risk in it of course but the amount we've spent on individuals is low for the league. 

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don't get why we can't afford it though. These are low fees compared to what some in the division spend. We spent 7m roughly on Engvall, Mags, COD and Moore. Mags has already been linked to the prem for 8 figures. Point is, the investment is made knowing we can nurture them into players that command a bigger fee. Kodjia 3m sold for 15m. I think it's a relatively low amount for opportunity of a high return. Not just in money either but in returns on the pitch when they come good. Dwight Gayle as an example is a low risk 10m signing but they're paying him a 10m signings worth of wages. Whereas when developed we have top players on salaries we can afford. There is some risk in it of course but the amount we've spent on individuals is low for the league. 

To spend £7m on someone who has not proved himself, is moving to a new country etc is too risky. Yes we have made a great deal on Kodj, but imagine we had spent £6m of that on Engvall alone, there would have been very little in the kitty for Djuric, Wright, Taylor, etc in January and currently it looks like we wouldn't see our money back at the price we have paid. Also I think if you value a player at £6m, he and his agent would expect wages commensurate with that valuation, that then get s the other players knocking on the door. SL wants the club to become self sustaining as far as possible, we are a long way from those kind of deals being the norm, Gayle and Gray had already proved themselves at this level, hence their valuation.

2 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Do you not think that LJ may of tried HM out at left-back during training?

Maybe he has & in LJ's view HM isn't able to perform there & rather than putting another 'square peg in a round hole' (another quote that gets banded about on here regularly), he has tried to do as so many people want him to do & play people in their correct positions.

Another thing that gets banded about on here is that HM plays at left-back for Iceland!! But exactly how many times has he played there for Iceland? Because as of November 2016 he had played 8 times for Iceland in 2 years!! That hardly makes him an experienced left-back even if all of his appearances for Iceland were at left-back & seeing as he didn't make an appearance during last years Euros, I'd suggest that any appearances may of only been friendlies & probably not against the best of opponents.

There is very little to back up this forum demand that HM can actually play at left-back & I'd rather trust someone who see's HM in training throughout the year.

Well let me put it this way, he has certainly made that judgement regarding Joe Bryan and Golbourne and look at their abject performances over the past 5 months in that position, my point is maybe as the case of Bryan and Golbourne prove training prowess is one thing but doesn't mean a thing if that prowess is not transferred into match day performances.

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Maybe LJ has tried him at LB in training and doesn't think he's any better there than what we have? Or maybe he just wants to keep his position consistent to avoid him becoming a jack of all trades type player, something Joe Bryan's game has ultimately suffered for. Or maybe Magnusson himself wants to be an out and out centre back and doesn't want to be a left back? 

I doubt there's any great conspiracy but this is OTIB :) 

We look more solid IMO with Bailey Wright in the team so I can't see any reason to change the centre backs as things are, now more than ever with 3 clean sheets in the last 4 games.

As I said he has also seen Bryan and Golbourne in training and more importantly in 5 months of match time.

Your comment about conspiracy is a little wasted on me, because I have not suggested that all, my point is can he have been any worse than Bryan and Golbourne in 'real game time' during matches over the past 5 months? and if the answer is yes, then wow 2.2mil wasted?.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Well let me put it this way, he has certainly made that judgement regarding Joe Bryan and Golbourne and look at their abject performances over the past 5 months in that position, my point is maybe as the case of Bryan and Golbourne prove training prowess is one thing but doesn't mean a thing if that prowess is not transferred into match day performances.

As I said he has also seen Bryan and Golbourne in training and more importantly in 5 months of match time.

Your comment about conspiracy is a little wasted on me, because I have not suggested that all, my point is can he have been any worse than Bryan and Golbourne in 'real game time' during matches over the past 5 months? and if the answer is yes, then wow 2.2mil wasted?.

I would hardly say it's £2.2m wasted because LJ has decided that HM isn't a left-back, it's been well documented that HM wasn't expected to play as many games as he did during the first half of the season & this is where LJ having a chat with HM comes into place & possibly why HM has been seemingly missing for the last month or so.

HM has stated that he's happy & not injured, so I would expect things have been explained to him & with him not being expected to play so many games, that would point towards HM clearly being seen as 'one for the future' so there is plenty of time for us to get our money's worth out of him & as has been roundly acknowledged, his value has probably already risen.

Archived