IGNORED

Dave Cotterill

mattjtsmith

Possibly, seems he's not wanted at Birmingham if Zola stays. We could do a lot worse on a cut price fee.

If they go down I hope we look at Donaldson. Great replacement/alternative to Wilbraham and still is very good at 33. Wouldn't be surprised if Rowett tried to get him to Derby - very dependable player at this level.

I suppose it depends whether he wants to stay here or sees a move back as a retrograde step. I remember posting at the end of the January window that for all the fuss about signing Taylor in particular that he could be the key signing. The balance he gives on the right allows Johnson to play 3 4 or 5 in midfield and his tracking back allows us to play Tomlin further forward.   

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I suppose it depends whether he wants to stay here or sees a move back as a retrograde step. I remember posting at the end of the January window that for all the fuss about signing Taylor in particular that he could be the key signing. The balance he gives on the right allows Johnson to play 3 4 or 5 in midfield and his tracking back allows us to play Tomlin further forward.   

Indeed. He definitely gives Junior greater formation options. He's done pretty well so far but has anyone noticed that he never takes on a full back or any defender for that matter?

Scott Murray he ain't......

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Indeed. He definitely gives Junior greater formation options. He's done pretty well so far but has anyone noticed that he never takes on a full back or any defender for that matter?

That is interesting isn't it? He looks like he should still have the pace to do it but I don't think I have seen him going flat out. He seems to take the "Beckham" approach, i.e. crossing the ball early or with enough bend on it that it arrives as if it has been cut back from the dead ball line.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Beckham never did that either.

His delivery is generally excellent from the flanks and set pieces. Not all wingers go around the outside of their marker to get the ball into the box. 

I think he offers a lot of balance down that right hand side. He's the finished article at this level, would be very happy to have him on board for next season.

If Zola stays he will stay with us. If a new manager comes in who identifies Cotterill as a key player for the blues (as he was under Rowett) then he will likely go back. Here's hoping they don't pull the trigger but it seems highly unlikely in the circumstances.

Would love him to stay.  My concern is we've put him in the shop window and his performances wont have gone unnoticed by other clubs.  Hopefully they don't come sniffing at the end of the season.  In addition, if Birmingham continue their downturn in form since Zola's arrival there is every chance in my opinion he'll get the boot come seasons end.  And then another manager may wish to take a fresh look at Cotterill.  Although if Zola stays I see no way he's going back there and its up to us to persuade him to stay.

Cotts was very surprised to be coming to us as he was under the impression that he was about to get a new contract at Birmingham.

I'd hope we've already tested the ground with regards to whether Cotts wants to come back permanently & (or) if Birmingham would agree to allowing Cotts to leave permanently so we can get a deal done as early as possible rather than have Birmingham change their mind & want him back.

He's clearly filled one part of the puzzle that we've been missing throughout the season (along with the right-back position) & that has left us ridiculously exposed down our entire right-side for the majority of the season.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Doesn't like a 50/50 either. Rarely have I seen him put a foot in.

That said you can't argue with his desire to get onto a forward ball, make decent crosses and has a good range in him from deadball/freekick positions.

If Blues don't want him and he is happy here then we should sign him permanently.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

He doesn't need to , he gets his crosses in in Beckhamesque style .

The cross for Tammy on Friday night was a perfect example of that .

Jury's out for me. The first few games I thought he was excellent. Aside from his quality deliveries he was also committing the full back and getting past. More recently he seems to have gone into his shell - perhaps dragged down by the general malaise in the team. Certainly doesn't like to get stuck in and not sure he is wholly committed. That said there is no denying he's the best we have with set pieces. Overall I don't see too much difference from his predecessor Freeman  

5 hours ago, ontariored said:

Yep. But that was a strategy so Beckham would sustain less injuries and be effective over longer periods of time. Tackles were left to others.  Not sure that is the case here.

Behave. David Beckham never had the ability or a trick with the ball on the floor to beat his man, had nothing to do with the fact he could 'sustain less injuries'.

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

Doesn't need to when he whips in top quality early crosses like he did to Tammy on Friday

As others have said - Beckham didn't - he didn't need to , created half a yard and whipped it in -

Actually a lot harder to defend against than from a winger who's beaten his man when defenders are anticipating the timing

Edit 

Apologies @Major Isewater - You had already succinctly posted the same before

3 hours ago, Nuno Gomez said:

Jury's out for me. The first few games I thought he was excellent. Aside from his quality deliveries he was also committing the full back and getting past. More recently he seems to have gone into his shell - perhaps dragged down by the general malaise in the team. Certainly doesn't like to get stuck in and not sure he is wholly committed. That said there is no denying he's the best we have with set pieces. Overall I don't see too much difference from his predecessor Freeman  

Or maybe the team were playing so bad he was like a shining light now the team form has picked up he doesn't stand out so much. Can't  remember for a long time somebody with a better delivery of a cross in a City shirt.

14 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Doesn't need to when he whips in top quality early crosses like he did to Tammy on Friday

As others have said - Beckham didn't - he didn't need to , created half a yard and whipped it in -

Actually a lot harder to defend against than from a winger who's beaten his man when defenders are anticipating the timing

Edit 

Apologies @Major Isewater - You had already succinctly posted the same before

Great minds think alike. ;)

14 hours ago, Sparkz 76 said:

Or maybe the team were playing so bad he was like a shining light now the team form has picked up he doesn't stand out so much. Can't  remember for a long time somebody with a better delivery of a cross in a City shirt.

He was excellent against Huddersfield. 

I think he's had one average game since he's been back other than that he's been energetic, positive and assured.

A big signing for us and I believe he genuinely cares that the club stay up ( perhaps with an eye on a permanent if we stay up ) 

18 hours ago, bris red said:

Behave. David Beckham never had the ability or a trick with the ball on the floor to beat his man, had nothing to do with the fact he could 'sustain less injuries'.

Behave???... You read into this the wrong way... You obviously know nothing of Beckham.... Fergie was quoted after Beckham's retirement that they needed to keep Beckam playing and on the pitch... no tackles!!

Why does cotterill need to get stuck in tackles or be someone that takes his man on and beats him when his qualities are finding and creating space and providing quality crosses.

theres no point beating a man with trickery and pace when you have the quality to put in an earlier cross and catch people out. 

On 3/20/2017 at 11:38, Robbored said:

On 3/20/2017 at 11:43, Port Said Red said:

That is interesting isn't it? He looks like he should still have the pace to do it but I don't think I have seen him going flat out. He seems to take the "Beckham" approach, i.e. crossing the ball early or with enough bend on it that it arrives as if it has been cut back from the dead ball line.

He has beefed up since he left us as kid and doesn't have the traditional winger physique anymore and that probably takes away an element of pace I suspect.

But a big yes from me sign him up.

Archived