IGNORED

Huddersfield fans forum

Robbored

2 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Even the Grauniad can see that if you've beaten a promotion chasing team 4-0 then you possibly 'deserved' to win......!

It was the comments - which are submitted by the readers.  The match report was fair, although didn't quite give enough credit to Flint for his lovely flick

34 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Gotta say...that point about first halves at Derby and Newcastle is quite significant.

I would say we have only delivered 3 impressive 90 minute displays this season- Fulham away and Huddersfield on Friday the joint top 2 and Leeds back in September the third- obviously not as good as the first 2 but easily our next best 90 mins display after the two 4-0 wins.

That aside, it's been very patchy and makes me wonder what might have been- had we put things together for 90 minutes more often who knows where we might be. Could make a case for Wigan away as it was a crunch game too and in some ways Burton at home woodwork, disallowed goal, pen...but overall yeah only 3 good 90 minute displays in League IMO.

LJ understandably and fairly gets criticised for a lot of what's gone wrong this season.

However, I do think too many players have not stood up to be counted when it mattered on too many occasions this season. I think the Sheff Wed game was a catalyst for much of what followed as we were with a post worth of a 3-1 lead, which at that time we would surely have held on to. Tomlin's missed pen gave them the impetus to come back and snatch the game.

Thereafter the players demonstrated an unerring ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, repeating the feat all too spectacularly against Cardiff and Reading. I am pretty certain that LJ wasn't telling his players to panic and to drop ever deeper, but that is what they did. I have to say this is the natural reaction of players at almost every level when being put under pressure. Even more so when you've thrown leads away in similar circumstances in the recent past and despite the instructions your manager might be giving,.

It's a bit chicken and egg I know, but once we got on our bad run, the players mental strength seemed to disappear so when we got tp the derby and Newcastle games many posters were predicting that once we conceded one the opposition would go on to win both games. It is a bonus that we held on for draws both times, given what we'd done in similar games earlier in the season.

That poor run left us with mentally fragile players who were struggling to cope with the slightest adversity, which even the best manager would have struggled to reverse. That we have managed a decent run in the last few weeks, and against most people's expectation says a lot. 

It says to me that we had a lot of players underperforming all too often and  we had a coach making too many changes and not playing his best team, which might have been the cause, or at the very least contributing the our problems. It also tells me that we would not have managed the fighting performances we've seen, if the players were not playing for the manager and is that those factors that will hopefully stand us in good stead for the remainder of the season.

It's going to be touch and go for survival this season, but I am feeling much more optimistic now that I was a month or so ago.

1 minute ago, SecretSam said:

It was the comments - which are submitted by the readers.  The match report was fair, although didn't quite give enough credit to Flint for his lovely flick

Ah, misread that! 

If Ramos scores that twitter wanks itself sideways. It's Flint, nothing we haven't seen before, it's almost the norm!

5 hours ago, handsofclay said:

At least they were able to bring on a substitute for their injured player. In the 1920 FA Cup semi final against Huddersfield we were effectively down to nine men due to injuries, but valiantly played on and only lost by the narrowest of margins. Yet, in 97 years, nobody has ever bleated on here about it, up until now.

You are very fortunate that your brain and memory are still operating well enough to remember that game. You must be in good health and amazing that you are computer literate for someone of at least 105 years of age. Do you get a free season ticket as a centenarian?

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

You are very fortunate that your brain and memory are still operating well enough to remember that game. You must be in good health and amazing that you are computer literate for someone of at least 105 years of age. Do you get a free season ticket as a centenarian?

:laugh:.. Bet there were no pies.. Studs were nailed on to hand crafted footie boots... Leather sheepskin balls.. .... 

39 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

But there's also no knowing what affect the confidence that has been gained from that performance will give us.

Confidence is a great thing in sport & can give players a huge lift & greater belief in themselves & their teammates.

How many games did we play over that much maligned 5 month period where you could see the players were struggling for confidence? This will now allow players to play with a freedom & belief.

A few games unbeaten, clean sheets to boot & scoring goals as well means that players can have a bit of self belief in their performances looking ahead.

Not just their self belief but confidence in their teammates. 

Remember we lost in Hudds because of teribble mistakes. Our rb passes in to our own box, he is not under presure. Rest is history. Last season we won easy at the gate. Hudds are a good team but we know How to beat them. Besten 4-0 by a bottom team, Hudds supporters not happy offcause. The name of the game is football. You never know. The game in friday was beautiful. 

37 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I am not at all fortunate. I avoid the doctors like the plague because whenever I go there and tell them that I have lived through nearly 100 years of watching Bristol City and can remember it all they put me on a course of the strongest anti depressants available and say that the practice would have no qualms about funding a one way ticket to Switzerland for me to sample the fine air and euthanasia on offer there.

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

Only just looked on there using Phantoms link and they blame their crushing defeat on two things -

The injury to Hogg had a negative effect on the rest of the team and/or there must have been a bug going around in the squad as they all looked off their game.............:facepalm:

Only one comment saying that "Bristol" played quite well and that Tomlin and Abrahams are " good players".

Id love to know if other clubs fans read otib.....

In fairness to them there was a 'bug doing the rounds' in their squad

And the injury to Hogg was a big blow to them - he's been very important in their success this year and think the injury disrupted and rattled them - we scored soon after and they never seemed to regain our feet - Helped massively by our work Rate and energy and our overall play 

There are some nice comments about us and I think their potential thoughts about their capitulation aren't outrageous tbf

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

Didn't see any comments about dodgy refereeing!

It was about time we had decisions go our way.

There is definitely comments about the referee !!!!!!

They have a whole thread on refereeing decisions and some crass ones about our game - They claim our pen wasn't, and I wholeheartedly agree , but some have blamed the ref for all sorts

Their threads , particularly about their defeat are pretty reasonable IMHO considering they are looking from one side and your reporting of them is somewhat unbalanced / unfair and in parts inaccurate

All in all we may have had a few twists of fortune on Friday but we made our own luck to a large degree and any good fortune was probably well due

2 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

I think you might be right, mate.

Big Joe's first full season in charge was a load of crap, we couldn't score for toffee.

Huddersfield come down and get stuffed 6-1 !!

(IIRC, memory not what it was !)

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Yeah, remember that one, Super Bob got 3, I think??

I don't remember even seeing them get a point in my time (1987), although I doubt I've been to all the games

Yep

Bobs first hat trick for us - we had been on a terrible run , Joe Jordan would have been sacked if we'd lost (He and his staff knew that) and we mullered them

IIRC we were 4 up after half an hour or something similar

Think I was one of what seemed like only few hundred in the  Dolman !

If you believe in such things you could argue that Friday night almost had some similarities and JJ kept his job and took us to promotion the following season !!!!!

6 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

As well as City played Huddersfield were clearly out of sorts.

The injury to Hogg no doubt affected them, as did one of their regular centre backs dropping out late on through illness.

Judging by their recent form I think we all expected a period of sustained Huddersfield pressure in the 2nd half but it never really materialised. Were others unusually sluggish due to a bug in the camp - who knows?

Either way, we played very well, no getting away from that, and everything went City's way - for once - but I think we were also probably fortunate to catch Huddersfield on what must have been very much an off night for them.

Before the game even started Wagner said one centre back had been ill on the morning of the game, causing Hudson to come into the side, and another first choice player had been sent home sick the day before.

When you add Hogg's unfortunate injury to that (plus a very dodgy penalty) I think their fans have every right to think it was one of those games when nothing went for them, though of course we played well, too.

49 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yep

Bobs first hat trick for us - we had been on a terrible run , Joe Jordan would have been sacked if we'd lost (He and his staff knew that) and we mullered them

If you believe in such things you could argue that Friday night almost had some similarities and JJ kept his job and took us to promotion the following season !!!!!

Good knowledge! I'm liking the sound of the parallels there, as long as promotion isn't from Div 3 like JJ!!

53 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yep

It was the first game that City played after the Hillsborough disaster on the Saturday before and if I'm right, it was in front of a crowd of less than 5000. I think all of football was shocked at what had happened then, though in hindsight if you had ever watched football back then and (like me) been crushed on a packed terrace it sadly should really have come as no surprise.

We had lost the previous four and although it was the same season that we had reached the league cup semi final v Forest, as you say Joe was on pretty thin ice.

Pretty sure it was 3-0 inside twenty minutes with Bob getting at least two of them.

Fair to say Joe didn't look back from that day on in his first spell with us, as we would have definitely pipped the blue few to the title the following season if super Bob had stayed fit for just a month longer.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yep

2 up in the first few minutes !! Me and a mate stayed for an extra pint in the Ship and Castle, we had been so bad we knew we wouldn't score. Couldn't believe it when we got in the Dolman, glad we managed to see a few after.

As for the pen Vs Hud's , I would say it was soft , but even then I saw some highlights from the Refs veiw and it looks a decent shout IMHO. The guy doesn't try and play the ball and run into JB who is a little off balance, seen them given before.

16 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

2 up in the first few minutes !! Me and a mate stayed for an extra pint in the Ship and Castle, we had been so bad we knew we wouldn't score. Couldn't believe it when we got in the Dolman, glad we managed to see a few after.

As for the pen Vs Hud's , I would say it was soft , but even then I saw some highlights from the Refs veiw and it looks a decent shout IMHO. The guy doesn't try and play the ball and run into JB who is a little off balance, seen them given before.

If memory serves (and it probably doesn`t) their goal was scored by Craig Maskell - remember him?

All the excuses from Huddersfield. I put it down to the fact that my young lad has had two selfies with Tammy. One outside of Fulham and one before the Huddersfield game Friday. The connection......... both our 4-0 wins this year. He will be available at Brentford if Tammy would like another one :thumbsup:

Seriously though,Great commitment Friday and a few bounces of the ball that went our way for once. More of the same please....................!

42 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It was the first game that City played after the Hillsborough disaster on the Saturday before and if I'm right, it was in front of a crowd of less than 5000.

I think all of football was shocked at what had happened then, though in hindsight if you had ever watched football back then and (like me) been crushed on a packed terrace it sadly should really have come as no surprise.

We had lost the previous four and although it was the same season that we had reached the league cup semi final v Forest, as you say Joe was on pretty thin ice.

Pretty sure it was 3-0 inside twenty minutes with Bob getting at least two of them.

Fair to say Joe didn't look back from that day on in his first spell with us, as we would have definitely pipped the blue few to the title the following season if super Bob had stayed fit for just a month longer.

Good memory again Graham :thumbsup:

Bristol City v Huddersfield Town, 18 April 1989

Score 6-1 to Bristol City
Competition League Division Three
Attendance 4,542

View Bristol City v Huddersfield Town head to head

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not great quality but found this 

@Red Right Hand I misread your post :facepalm: I thought you had Maskell getting one for us !!

Which he did , on loan which is the 5 appearances !!! Sorry

What a great final goal by the future England Manager too - had forgotten that one  

5-0 at half time !!! Quality !!!

One from my archives, not good quality indeed :disapointed2se:

Transferred  from Betamax to Vhs onto another VHS and it's 28 years old , what do you expect super HD IMAX ?? :whistle:

29 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

One from my archives, not good quality indeed :disapointed2se:

Transferred  from Betamax to Vhs onto another VHS and it's 28 years old , what do you expect super HD IMAX ?? :whistle:

Oh no 1960 - You're footage is priceless and genuinely much much appreciated by lots of us I'm sure , whatever the quality 

:clap:

13 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Oh no 1960 - You're footage is priceless and genuinely much much appreciated by lots of us I'm sure , whatever the quality 

:clap:

It's a shame they didn't those fancy computers when I was doing these, at least the later ones should be a little better :blush:

8 hours ago, Tears in rain said:

Flicked through it and there was praise for how we played which was nice and also some brilliant excuses about stomach bugs, refereeing, mindsets after injury, international break etc.

Dont get me wrong the Ref favoured us that game slightly but after the amount of apologies and poor decisions we've been put through I wasn't surprised. 

Some Huddersfield fans that used the ref as an excuse definitely hyperbolised the effect he had!  

Also Tomlin got the blame for Higgs injury! Miss something when I saw that? 

I for my sins read all 20 odd pages only 2 people blamed tomlin in any way and they were quickly shot down, I thought most were fair in there assessment and mostly admitted they had been outplayed, one even saying it could have been 6 or 7 and 4 nil flattered them.

Archived