IGNORED

Huddersfield fans forum

Robbored

Only just looked on there using Phantoms link and they blame their crushing defeat on two things -

The injury to Hogg had a negative effect on the rest of the team and/or there must have been a bug going around in the squad as they all looked off their game.............:facepalm:

Only one comment saying that "Bristol" played quite well and that Tomlin and Abrahams are " good players".

Id love to know if other clubs fans read otib.....

I think as good as we were, we also had more desire than them. A lot more. Either way we got a well deserved result and they should look closer to home- we wanted it somewhat more I think, don't recall them having many chances of note at all. On a sunny Spring day it may have been different, dare say the conditions helped us a bit. Don't get me wrong we out thought and outplayed Huddersfield- but we also out fought them.

In short, they should look closer to home and basically accept the better side won.

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Only just looked on there using Phantoms link and they blame their crushing defeat on two things -

The injury to Hogg had a negative effect on the rest of the team and/or there must have been a bug going around in the squad as they all looked off their game.............:facepalm:

Only one comment saying that "Bristol" played quite well and that Tomlin and Abrahams are " good players".

Don't forget the ref !

At least they were able to bring on a substitute for their injured player. In the 1920 FA Cup semi final against Huddersfield we were effectively down to nine men due to injuries, but valiantly played on and only lost by the narrowest of margins. Yet, in 97 years, nobody has ever bleated on here about it, up until now.

19 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

At least they were able to bring on a substitute for their injured player. In the 1920 FA Cup semi final against Huddersfield we were effectively down to nine men due to injuries, but valiantly played on and only lost by the narrowest of margins. Yet, in 97 years, nobody has ever bleated on here about it, up until now.

And people were asking what LJ would have to do to get people to forget the historical losing run! :) :rofl2br:

22 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Some consolation that they got battered 1-0 by Villa in the Final, albeit after extra time....interesting that our semi and the final were played at the same stadium....wonder if fans moaned about the glamour being taken away from the occasion back then?!

29 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Only because it was before my time.........

34 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Only because it was before my time.........

I've heard that Aizoon was a ball boy though!

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

You only have to look at the reaction to some of our fans after certain results.

It's very rare that some on here give the opposition credit for how they've played but instead prefer to blame our own management for a poor performance.

It's the nature of the beast, why would some choose to praise a performance when they are seemingly only happy when they have something to moan about & someone to blame.

I'd suggest that the Huddersfield forum isn't an exception to the rule, you will see the same throughout the divisions.

As well as City played Huddersfield were clearly out of sorts.

The injury to Hogg no doubt affected them, as did one of their regular centre backs dropping out late on through illness.

Judging by their recent form I think we all expected a period of sustained Huddersfield pressure in the 2nd half but it never really materialised. Were others unusually sluggish due to a bug in the camp - who knows?

Either way, we played very well, no getting away from that, and everything went City's way - for once - but I think we were also probably fortunate to catch Huddersfield on what must have been very much an off night for them.

46 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Some consolation that they got battered 1-0 by Villa in the Final, albeit after extra time....interesting that our semi and the final were played at the same stadium....wonder if fans moaned about the glamour being taken away from the occasion back then?!

Yes, interesting as well that it was the same semi final venue, Stamford Bridge, as we played at in the 1909 Semi Final. In both cases we failed to win, although in 1909 a last minute Rippon penalty secured us a replay at St Andrews where we then overcame second division Derby County.

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

As well as City played Huddersfield were clearly out of sorts.

The injury to Hogg no doubt affected them, as did one of their regular centre backs dropping out late on through illness.

Judging by their recent form I think we all expected a period of sustained Huddersfield pressure in the 2nd half but it never really materialised. Were others unusually sluggish due to a bug in the camp - who knows?

Either way, we played very well, no getting away from that, and everything went City's way - for once - but I think we were also probably fortunate to catch Huddersfield on what must have been very much an off night for them.

Sometimes Noggers, one team just imposes themselves on the opposition to the degree that the opposition just cannot get into their stride and perhaps this is what we did to Huddersfield on Friday.

Also, it seems that we kept our peddle to the metal and stopped them getting back into the game, as we did at Derby and Newcastle.

For all the justified criticism of LJ, we have had luck go against us a crucial times of games during the season , so if a few things went our way on Friday it was about time.

22 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Sometimes Noggers, one team just imposes themselves on the opposition to the degree that the opposition just cannot get into their stride and perhaps this is what we did to Huddersfield on Friday.

Also, it seems that we kept our peddle to the metal and stopped them getting back into the game, as we did at Derby and Newcastle.

For all the justified criticism of LJ, we have had luck go against us a crucial times of games during the season , so if a few things went our way on Friday it was about time.

Absolutely dc, as I said, we played really well and everything went our way for once.

All credit to the team and LJ on the night.

League position, previous form and results show there must generally be alot more to Huddersfield than we saw on Friday night though, and if the opposition had an off night, perhaps we were overdue that luxury as well.

We were all expecting much more from Huddersfield, and indeed much less from City - how much it was an extraordinary performance from City making Huddersfield look ordinary or whether an uncharacteristically listless performance from Huddersfield with a weakened team was a major factor in City dominating so emphatically perhaps only subsequent games will show.

I'd like to think it was all down to a resurgent City blasting them away and that we'll continue that imperious form against Brentford and PNE, but the concern is that Huddersfield having a real off night played a big part in enabling us to shine, and forthcoming opponents, playing more to form, will be far less accommodating.

We'll see soon enough.

17 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Absolutely dc, as I said, we played really well and everything went our way for once.

League position, previous form and results show there must generally be alot more to Huddersfield than we saw on Friday night though, and if the opposition had an off night, perhaps we were overdue that luxury as well.

We were all expecting much more from Huddersfield, and indeed much less from City - how much it was an extraordinary performance from City making Huddersfield look ordinary or whether an uncharacteristically listless performance from Huddersfield with a weakened team was a major factor in City dominating so emphatically perhaps only subsequent games will show.

I'd like to think it was all down to a resurgent City blasting them away and that we'll continue that imperious form against Brentford and PNE, but the concern is that Huddersfield having a real off night played a big part in enabling us to shine, and forthcoming opponents, playing more to form, will be far less accommodating.

We'll see soon enough.

It was only extraordinary when compared to much of what we have delivered over the last 4 months. This, alongside the first halves at Derby and Newcastle shows of what this team is capable. 

Fingers crossed this is a resurgent City, as we are going to need much more of the same if we are to secure our championship status. There are another 3/4 teams in the relegation battle and most seem to have hit some form recently and have been picking up points and this could mean the relegation fight going right to the wire. Our biggest weakness is that we can be so inconsistent and could easily follow the Huddersfield performance with another Fulham and we have to maintain results from now on in.

2 hours ago, Woodsy said:

I don't remember Huddersfield ever getting much in my time down the Gate

Maybe we're a bogey team for them. It's like us when we play Wolves away.....

I think you might be right, mate.

Big Joe's first full season in charge was a load of crap, we couldn't score for toffee.

Huddersfield come down and get stuffed 6-1 !!

(IIRC, memory not what it was !)

Flicked through it and there was praise for how we played which was nice and also some brilliant excuses about stomach bugs, refereeing, mindsets after injury, international break etc.

Dont get me wrong the Ref favoured us that game slightly but after the amount of apologies and poor decisions we've been put through I wasn't surprised. 

Some Huddersfield fans that used the ref as an excuse definitely hyperbolised the effect he had!  

Also Tomlin got the blame for Higgs injury! Miss something when I saw that? 

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

It was only extraordinary when compared to much of what we have delivered over the last 4 months. This, alongside the first halves at Derby and Newcastle shows of what this team is capable

Fingers crossed this is a resurgent City, as we are going to need much more of the same if we are to secure our championship status. There are another 3/4 teams in the relegation battle and most seem to have hit some form recently and have been picking up points and this could mean the relegation fight going right to the wire. Our biggest weakness is that we can be so inconsistent and could easily follow the Huddersfield performance with another Fulham and we have to maintain results from now on in.

Gotta say...that point about first halves at Derby and Newcastle is quite significant.

I would say we have only delivered 3 impressive 90 minute displays this season- Fulham away and Huddersfield on Friday the joint top 2 and Leeds back in September the third- obviously not as good as the first 2 but easily our next best 90 mins display after the two 4-0 wins.

That aside, it's been very patchy and makes me wonder what might have been- had we put things together for 90 minutes more often who knows where we might be. Could make a case for Wigan away as it was a crunch game too and in some ways Burton at home woodwork, disallowed goal, pen...but overall yeah only 3 good 90 minute displays in League IMO.

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

We'll see soon enough.

But there's also no knowing what affect the confidence that has been gained from that performance will give us.

Confidence is a great thing in sport & can give players a huge lift & greater belief in themselves & their teammates.

How many games did we play over that much maligned 5 month period where you could see the players were struggling for confidence? This will now allow players to play with a freedom & belief.

A few games unbeaten, clean sheets to boot & scoring goals as well means that players can have a bit of self belief in their performances looking ahead.

58 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

I think you might be right, mate.

Big Joe's first full season in charge was a load of crap, we couldn't score for toffee.

Huddersfield come down and get stuffed 6-1 !!

(IIRC, memory not what it was !)

Yeah, remember that one, Super Bob got 3, I think??

I don't remember even seeing them get a point in my time (1987), although I doubt I've been to all the games

1 minute ago, SecretSam said:

A number of comments below the Guardian match report were quite positive, saying we deserved to win

Even the Grauniad can see that if you've beaten a promotion chasing team 4-0 then you possibly 'deserved' to win......!

Archived