IGNORED

Songs/Chants of Old

Yozzarian

16 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Correct - when they scored , and the bricks came from the street parallel to where we were i.e. Over the houses !!!

Didnt we miss a pen in that game (We lost 1-0)

Think you're right. Joe Jordan and Dave Hodgson sent off as well as I recall. 

1 hour ago, archie andrews said:

wrong......all the coaches got stopped before stroud and turned back some vans went and lucky to be back in one piece...boro were seen as the "big one" that season and it was a lively day at AG hence boro returning the "favour"

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Ah ok. Just remember the piece  in the paper and a photo of the calling card, was it mid eighties ?

A Boro Account

This was the game the police had both ends of the street behind the east end seats blocked off with all the bristol coaches in between. The silly fookers had forgot to block of the back alley which ran from the road behind rght into the middle of the bristol coaches and after the game remember being in a large mob that ran through just as the bristol fans were coming out. The look of horror on their faces was a picture as they saw us piling out of the alley and they all turned and ran back into the east end seats which was the away end that day. We all got chased back down the alley by the police horses who were slipping all over on the cobbles.
Somebody might of mentioned this before, but at the game at ashton gate earlier that season Co___y from redcar and a few other lads from london were in a car in bristol city centre when the were ambushed by lads who fired flares and put an axe through the wing of the car. Co___y end up in hospital in bristol and was in there local rag. Remember he said something about a "large reception commity" waiting for bristol fans in the return leg and he was'nt wrong either!

And a City Lads explanation

The story is that City put out flyers around appropriate Bristol hostelries titled "This is the big one not for the squeamish" and calling for a proper show. 250 were booked on five coaches including various members of a South Bristol boxing club.

Sadly the Western daily press scented it and ran an article concerning the forthcoming attraction which was not be to found in the papers events listing.

The police raids started in the week and one of our Wurzel kind responsible for booking five coaches took to sleeping in his garden shed.

Come the Saturday some CSF sorts still assembled in Coronation Road but unknown to them the police had contacted the coach company that morning and told them to do one.

A small group from North Somerset and West Wilts left Wurzel TM on the chuff chuff expecting to meet the assembled City Firm in Boro. What they found was hundreds upon hundreds of seething Boro providing the hottest reception party seen ever on Citys travels.

Ayrsome was true hard Hat territory.

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Another 70s ditty to  'Save all your kisses for me '

'Save all your kisses say Cheese

Save all your kisses say Cheese

Bye Bye Rovers,  Bye Bye

We'll be thinking of you

back in Division Two'

I remember the players singing this in the supporters club straight after the final game of the season before we went to the old first division!

11 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

A Boro Account

This was the game the police had both ends of the street behind the east end seats blocked off with all the bristol coaches in between. The silly fookers had forgot to block of the back alley which ran from the road behind rght into the middle of the bristol coaches and after the game remember being in a large mob that ran through just as the bristol fans were coming out. The look of horror on their faces was a picture as they saw us piling out of the alley and they all turned and ran back into the east end seats which was the away end that day. We all got chased back down the alley by the police horses who were slipping all over on the cobbles.
Somebody might of mentioned this before, but at the game at ashton gate earlier that season Co___y from redcar and a few other lads from london were in a car in bristol city centre when the were ambushed by lads who fired flares and put an axe through the wing of the car. Co___y end up in hospital in bristol and was in there local rag. Remember he said something about a "large reception commity" waiting for bristol fans in the return leg and he was'nt wrong either!

And a City Lads explanation

The story is that City put out flyers around appropriate Bristol hostelries titled "This is the big one not for the squeamish" and calling for a proper show. 250 were booked on five coaches including various members of a South Bristol boxing club.

Sadly the Western daily press scented it and ran an article concerning the forthcoming attraction which was not be to found in the papers events listing.

The police raids started in the week and one of our Wurzel kind responsible for booking five coaches took to sleeping in his garden shed.

Come the Saturday some CSF sorts still assembled in Coronation Road but unknown to them the police had contacted the coach company that morning and told them to do one.

A small group from North Somerset and West Wilts left Wurzel TM on the chuff chuff expecting to meet the assembled City Firm in Boro. What they found was hundreds upon hundreds of seething Boro providing the hottest reception party seen ever on Citys travels.

Ayrsome was true hard Hat territory.

Fair play finding that Bob. Wish i still had the paper clipping now 

Gerry Gow, John Galley, Trevor Tainton Ray Cashley.....doo doo doodoo doo doido doo doo  To the tune of the Hoover 'beats as it sweeps as it cleans' advert of the day.  Same choon as some USA patriotic army type song as well but can't be ar5ed to look it up xx  

All the dirt,
All the grit
Hoover picks up all the xxxx
Cos it beats as it sweeps as it cleans.

1 minute ago, jackofromrugby said:

Gerry Gow, John Galley, Trevor Tainton Ray Cashley.....doo doo doodoo doo doido doo doo  To the tune of the Hoover 'beats as it sweeps as it cleans' advert of the day.  Same choon as some USA patriotic army type song as well but can't be ar5ed to look it up xx  

All the dirt,
All the grit
Hoover picks up all the xxxx
Cos it beats as it sweeps as it cleans.

Heard this revived a few years back when we went up to either Notts County or Warsaw.  A real back numbers day for some reason!

4 hours ago, burhou said:

Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankly,

Have you heard of the North Bank Highbury,

Shanks said no I don't think so,

But I've heard of the East End Aggro

and the police baiting 

Harry Roberts is our friend,

Harry Roberts is our friend,

He kills coppers.

not City but always liked the Man Utd Ji Sung Park song.

Harry Roberts is a Millwall ditty....

12 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Never went there personally. One of the chapters in the book steaming in was about Arsenal at Ayresome park. They used to put screens up to stop the darts being thrown into the away end. A lad in the book got one in the eye. Ouch

Proper community policing back in the day.

I believe PC Savage got a commendation for nicking this thug and successfully charging him with possession of an offensive weapon....

Screenshot_20170322-075235.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 17:43, Ivorguy said:

The old Warmley FC was notorious in the very distant past. It all relates to an incident against Millwall in January 1899. My family were Warmley supporters before City was founded.

Warmley ae mentioned in Peter Godsiff's "History of Bristol City FC". Warmley were the oldest established club and the best supported in Bristol. They moved from the Western to the Southern League just as Bristol South End joined the western League. Supporters of both clubs claimed theirs was the best. 28 December 1896, South End fans in their hundreds travelled to Warmley for a match arranged to settle the argument. Warmley won 4-0. South End later progressed to the Southern League and in their first season, now known as Bristol City, they were unrivalled by the other three professional clubs; Warmley, Eastville Rovers (is that lot still around?) and St George. 21 Feb 1900 Warmley won 1-0 at St John's Lane in the Bristol Charity Cup, but that was last hurrah as they disbanded the following season due to lack of support. (People like your family changing allegiances perhaps)?

South End had merged with Bedminster as competition was killing both clubs. It's suggested that had Warmley merged with St George, they would have been saved.

1 hour ago, 22A said:

Warmley ae mentioned in Peter Godsiff's "History of Bristol City FC". Warmley were the oldest established club and the best supported in Bristol. They moved from the Western to the Southern League just as Bristol South End joined the western League. Supporters of both clubs claimed theirs was the best. 28 December 1896, South End fans in their hundreds travelled to Warmley for a match arranged to settle the argument. Warmley won 4-0. South End later progressed to the Southern League and in their first season, now known as Bristol City, they were unrivalled by the other three professional clubs; Warmley, Eastville Rovers (is that lot still around?) and St George. 21 Feb 1900 Warmley won 1-0 at St John's Lane in the Bristol Charity Cup, but that was last hurrah as they disbanded the following season due to lack of support. (People like your family changing allegiances perhaps)?

South End had merged with Bedminster as competition was killing both clubs. It's suggested that had Warmley merged with St George, they would have been saved.

Warmley played at the old Chequers ground, by the pub, I doubt Warmley would ever have merged with anyone - far too independent, unlike us lot.

Doubt many Warmley supporters moved to city, more likely to Rovers.

Think Warmley deserve an honorary mention once we get our museum/archives up together.

When South End / City played Warmley it was at the Tennis Court Ground. Is that the same as The Chequers?

I see Mangotsfield folded in 1898 (reforming in 1950). In the late 19th Century, who would have been the bigger rivals to Warmley; St George or Mangotsfield?

iirc, during our days in Division 1 during the mid-late 70's (so more than a few Cidered up nights ago), there was a Yee Haa chant that came out of the East End (accompanied by what looked like a rehearsed Martial Arts movement). Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong?

What the hell was all that about? It flew over my head

On 22/03/2017 at 14:06, 22A said:

When South End / City played Warmley it was at the Tennis Court Ground. Is that the same as The Chequers?

I see Mangotsfield folded in 1898 (reforming in 1950). In the late 19th Century, who would have been the bigger rivals to Warmley; St George or Mangotsfield?

They moved toChequers sometime after 1898/9 season

Archived