IGNORED

Bordeaux

BRISTOL86

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

Forgot to mention that the No 1 bus goes every 10 minutes

Can you get on those buses with a full size suitcase though? Or would I be better off with the proper airport shuttle?

Edit - scratch that, just found some good info online about it!

Just now, BRISTOL86 said:

Can you get on those buses with a full size suitcase though? Or would I be better off with the proper airport shuttle?

Edit - scratch that, just found some good info online about it!

its a bendy bus and does have limited room for a suitcase. If you have more than one then the Shuttle would be better

4 hours ago, BigTone said:

its a bendy bus and does have limited room for a suitcase. If you have more than one then the Shuttle would be better

The shuttle (navette) is called "Direct 30" and goes from outside Hall B.  If you decide on the No 1 it goes from directly behind the shuttle.

On 21 March 2017 at 06:45, BRISTOL86 said:

Anyone been to Bordeaux? Planning a short break with the fiancée in September and looking for the usual recommendations for places to eat/drink and things to do. 

Thanks

I went with the good lady in November last year.  Such a great City.  Brilliant history and architecture, great food and wine obviously and found the people really sound. We did a trip to Arcachons to eat oysters, drink wine and be by the sea for lunch. Would recommend it if you have the time. Going to go back to both places this summer. Can't wait. 

1 hour ago, lenred said:

I went with the good lady in November last year.  Such a great City.  Brilliant history and architecture, great food and wine obviously and found the people really sound. We did a trip to Arcachons to eat oysters, drink wine and be by the sea for lunch. Would recommend it if you have the time. Going to go back to both places this summer. Can't wait. 

Good to hear! We are really looking forward to it. Will check out Arcachons, thanks! 

2 hours ago, lenred said:

I am not sure if this has already been mentioned, but Bordeaux is, of course, twinned with Bristol.

Arcachon, or rather, Arcachon Bay, is renowned justifiably for its oysters, but remember - only eat them when there is an R in the month: outside of the May - August period, you will very likely be eating frozen/defrosted oysters!

And another thing - if you are considering a visit to the vineyards, don't be too disappointed at the (absence of) chateaux!

Whereas in the vineyards of the Loire and elsewhere you will find true chateaux (castles), the 'chateaux' in the Gironde are simply names given to the often rundown offices/warehouses managing the vine yard.   

4 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am not sure if this has already been mentioned, but Bordeaux is, of course, twinned with Bristol.

Arcachon, or rather, Arcachon Bay, is renowned justifiably for its oysters, but remember - only eat them when there is an R in the month: outside of the May - August period, you will very likely be eating frozen/defrosted oysters!

And another thing - if you are considering a visit to the vineyards, don't be too disappointed at the (absence of) chateaux!

Whereas in the vineyards of the Loire and elsewhere you will find true chateaux (castles), the 'chateaux' in the Gironde are simply names given to the often rundown offices/warehouses managing the vine yard.   

Indeed.  There's a very pretty 'Allées De Bristol' along the road from the Place de la Bourse which made us look it up.  Other than that you couldn't really tell. 

12 hours ago, lenred said:

Indeed.  There's a very pretty 'Allées De Bristol' along the road from the Place de la Bourse which made us look it up.  Other than that you couldn't really tell. 

I know there's a Bristol Hotel in Bordeaux

3 hours ago, BigTone said:

I know there's a Bristol Hotel in Bordeaux

And very very expensive it is too!  Wanted to have a drink on the roof but the bar's shut in the winter. Seen a couple across France (think the one in Paris is one of the most expensive hotels in the city also) and saw one in Genoa too. Have to read up the story behind them, guessing that there's a link. 

9 minutes ago, lenred said:

And very very expensive it is too!  Wanted to have a drink on the roof but the bar's shut in the winter. Seen a couple across France (think the one in Paris is one of the most expensive hotels in the city also) and saw one in Genoa too. Have to read up the story behind them, guessing that there's a link. 

I was thinking of staying there once but thought I would have to sell the Wife into slavery to cover the cost !

With respect to the more knowledgable locals on here you have to go to 'La Tupina' - best steak and chips I have ever had. Visited by Rick Stein in a couple of his progs (long weekends), voted in top 50 in the world at one point but not pretentious or that expensive.

And extra free duck fat chip portions if you ask ( and you've got the appetite)!

Archived