IGNORED

Conclusions from last Friday

Top Robin

When we play the right players in the right shape could we be one of the better teams in Championship......or did we just meet Huddersfield on a rare off day.

Be nice to think that it was our performance that made them look poor and gives us hope that we can do that to other teams.

I am still in the Johnson out camp but I must admit that there are green shoots starting to appear and I am now looking forward to games more positively.

Rewatched it a couple of times

Hudds were definitely nowhere near where they have been most of the season

Part of that was definitely due to our work rate and we hunted in pairs and in packs

Some of our first time passing was really good at times

As Woodsy has said a bit of both

We will know a lot more in the coming weeks !!

19 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

When we play the right players in the right shape could we be one of the better teams in Championship......or did we just meet Huddersfield on a rare off day.

Be nice to think that it was our performance that made them look poor and gives us hope that we can do that to other teams.

I am still in the Johnson out camp but I must admit that there are green shoots starting to appear and I am now looking forward to games more positively.

There aren't many conclusions in there..?!

I'm just seeing it as a very good performance by us, good tactics on the night and we took our chances. Not too fussed on Huddersfield, or how they play etc. We received alot of praise by other teams for that performance and it showed we do have a talented side. Lets just hope it wasnt for the cameras.

I am totally confused by this season.

1 An excellent start, an appalling middle, and then a great victory over a top side

2 Sacking of Pemberton, who supposedly LJ wanted to get rid of in the summer, followed by an improvement on the pitch

3 The unexplained and decidedly odd deal with Rovers

4 The total absence of much sign of life from an emasculated Board

5 The signing of players in both summer and January market, including internationals, who feature hardly at all

6 The loss of Chief Scout largely unexplained

7 The enigmatic role of MA

8 The unacceptable situation re fans liaison officer

etc, etc, etc.

Several factors for me.  Frankie back in goal giving the defense more confidence than Giefer; Korey Smith outstanding in our problem position of right back; Joe Bryan rediscovering the confidence he has been lacking for months; Tomlin and Abraham playing as a pair; O'Dowda having his best game for the club; all other players performing at an acceptable level.

Of course, why all this happened is another discussion...

9 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I am totally confused by this season.

1 An excellent start, an appalling middle, and then a great victory over a top side

2 Sacking of Pemberton, who supposedly LJ wanted to get rid of in the summer, followed by an improvement on the pitch

3 The unexplained and decidedly odd deal with Rovers

4 The total absence of much sign of life from an emasculated Board

5 The signing of players in both summer and January market, including internationals, who feature hardly at all

6 The loss of Chief Scout largely unexplained

7 The enigmatic role of MA

8 The unacceptable situation re fans liaison officer

etc, etc, etc.

Add the summer of 15 transfers fiasco , Cotts meltdown and we've had a crazy 20 odd months !!!

Oh and Pelling and Burts demise !!!

Head of recruitment anyone ?

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I also go back to Joe Bryan's pre match interview ,

Dropping in bottom 3 waking players up and hints of players collectively deciding they needed to pull their fingers out

That admission in itself is alarming.. Only just awake to reality??...

I blame Johnson..

Yes excellent performance Friday night, haven't enjoyed a match at home for a long time. Lets hope they were not just putting on a show because the TV cameras were there. All the players in the shop window saying look at me this is what I can do. If we do drop out of the Championship quite a few won't want to hang around.

Bar the obvious there were 2 comedy moments that will last long in the memory

David Wager flying off of the bench screaming for their penalty appeal............In the background Scott Murray grinning, shaking his head and mouthing 'Nah'

& then something I've not seen or heard since I was a kid but I laughed my tits off

Huddersfield had a free kick on the edge of our box. Tomlin takes his place near the end of the wall. As their player is on his run up Tomlin can be seen screaming 'MISSSSS' 

Comedy Gold

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Several factors for me.  Frankie back in goal giving the defense more confidence than Giefer; Korey Smith outstanding in our problem position of right back; Joe Bryan rediscovering the confidence he has been lacking for months; Tomlin and Abraham playing as a pair; O'Dowda having his best game for the club; all other players performing at an acceptable level.

Of course, why all this happened is another discussion...

I think Jamie Macs new role and influence has been a major factor here.

Biggest weakness all season has been right back.  Korey Smith moves in and the weakness has gone.  That seems to stabilise the whole team and performances improve.

Certainly playing Tommo up top with Tammy seems to work well.  A new strike partnership of Tommy and Tammy Maybe.

I thought it was all over, but am feeling much more hopefull than i have been for weeks.

Joey seems to be improving at LB too.

25 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Two wins and some  people think the Europa League in five years is back on.

Come on Mike, that was months ago. It's more like 4 and a half (I can't see a half key on this paperless typewriter thing) years now. Who knows where we'll end up? Time to stockpile some Hidden Planet guides...

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I'm no LJ fan

But on this I blame the players 

Need to drop neck deep in the mire before they wake up - Really ......

Is LJ to nice to the players or players not viewing him as someone with authority. Even if this were the case , professional pride should have them up for every game. 

3 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I am waiting to see the team he plays for the next game. If it is the usual 4 changes then I see no green shoots. If he brings some stability and continuity to the team then maybe there is some hope. But I am not holding my breath.

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Hudds were definitely nowhere near where they have been most of the season

Part of that was definitely due to our work rate and we hunted in pairs and in packs

Agree with this. We really pressed and got in their faces. During our poor run, we have been giving our opponents far too much room and time. Our performance on Friday was more like our early season performances. Of course, it does beg the question as to why it has taken so long to get back to that level.

O'Neil's performance on Friday was certainly more like how he was playing at the start of the season. Of course he has had illness and injuries since then.

As others have said, Korey at right back is a big factor too. O'Dowda's work rate helps Bryan. Our flanks looked secure for the first time in a while, and this against a team that supposedly likes to hit teams down the flanks through their attacking full backs. 

Tomlin looked sharper than he has at times; a case in point is how he made up ground for his goal.

We need to maintain the pressing, the sharpness, the workrate and the passion. All our successful teams have had those qualities. I do wonder if McAllister has helped get us back to this approach. He liked a snappy tackle in his playing days (sometimes too much!). May just be coincidence. 

Hopefully we can have a settled side and formation for a while.

Seems to me that for the last 3 or 4 games LJ has definitely moved back to "players to fit the system"  rather the scatter gun 4 or 5 changes every game trying to get the best individuals into the side and then basing formations around them, which is what afflicted us during the dreadful mid-season run.

JMc replacing JP could well have been an influence on that. Still early to know for sure but one hell of a coincidence if he hasn't been.

8 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Seems to me that for the last 3 or 4 games LJ has definitely moved back to "players to fit the system"  rather the scatter gun 4 or 5 changes every game trying to get the best individuals into the side and then basing formations around them, which is what afflicted us during the dreadful mid-season run.

JMc replacing JP could well have been an influence on that. Still early to know for sure but one hell of a coincidence if he hasn't been.

Perhaps LJ didn't respect JP's judgement, but will take notice of JMc - even if they say the same thing?

Archived