IGNORED

ADVICE NEEDED regarding disabilities

Simon79

Hi guys and gals. Didn't quite know how to title this topic. I'm looking for some advice on a very important issue! My son Elliott is soon to be 5 & im very keen to take him to his 1st game at Ashton Gate. Elliott has Down's Syndrome and along with this has sensory issues. So I'm wondering if any of you guys/gals have been through this and have any general advice & on the best places to sit etc? He loves his City kits and generally loves football. If I can crack this, I'm keen to buy us a season ticket for next season. Something I stopped doing when Elliott was born. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Was also wondering if a sensory room was ever discussed when the revamp of Ashton Gate was happening? Similar to what Sunderland have done? Think this was a fantastic idea by Sunderland. COYR 

Firstly, it's lovely you want to introduce Elliot to football. 

Few things I'd mention having taken various disabled kids to football over the years. 

Take him to a reserve or ladies game, so he gets used to the goings on on a match day on a smaller scale.

Get some headphones. The ones that fit over the ears, the sudden noises can be frightening at first (like when everyone suddenly starts screaming at a chance of a goal) so it's worth having them to hand just in case. 

Get seats on the end of a row, so you don't have to keep making others move when he inevitably needs to fidget, also means that they have a bit of space on one side of them which can help any anxieties as they don't feel so hemmed in. 

Ring the ticket office (ask to speak to Gareth, he's the disability rep in the ticket office) and ask them to put you somewhere less busy, for similar reasons above, but also so the noise next to him isn't so intense. 

Ring the ticket office as well and ask if you can pop him down for a visit when it's empty (there are things going on most days down there, so it's not locked up like used to be between matches) 

Hope that helps. I will have a think if I've missed anything. PM me if you want to ask me anything away from here :) 

2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Would young Elliot have DLA ,due to his age (genuine question, I don't know how it works) ?

Yep. Kids still get DLA, adults get PIP now :) 

(technically it's his parents claiming it, but it's all in his name. I'm in the same situation with my foster son now, I claim it as his primary carer) 

11 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Few things I'd mention having taken various disabled kids to football over the years. 

Take him to a reserve or ladies game, so he gets used to the goings on on a match day on a smaller scale.

Get some headphones. The ones that fit over the ears, the sudden noises can be frightening at first (like when everyone suddenly starts screaming at a chance of a goal) so it's worth having them to hand just in case. 

Get seats on the end of a row, so you don't have to keep making others move when he inevitably needs to fidget, also means that they have a bit of space on one side of them which can help any anxieties as they don't feel so hemmed in. 

Ring the ticket office (ask to speak to Gareth, he's the disability rep in the ticket office) and ask them to put you somewhere less busy, for similar reasons above, but also so the noise next to him isn't so intense. 

Ring the ticket office as well and ask if you can pop him down for a visit when it's empty (there are things going on most days down there, so it's not locked up like used to be between matches) 

Hope that helps. I will have a think if I've missed anything. PM me if you want to ask me anything away from here :) 

You've basically written everything I was going to put as had to contact the previous disability officer (Dave's son? Can't remember the name) about a relly with mental health issues. 

Pmed you though Dolls as have a question to ask.

16 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Thanks Dollymarie. There are some great bits of advice in that post. He already has some ear defenders, so will be taking them! I will give the ticket office a ring I think. & think a trip up when empty or a reserve game is a great idea. COYR

9 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

You've basically written everything I was going to put as had to contact the previous disability officer (Dave's son? Can't remember the name) about a relly with mental health issues. 

I haz no PM bird? :) 

20 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

You know you can get a "disability" S/T in which the carer gets one free?

.....and that will be the same for booking away tickets. The carer's ticket is free.

Most clubs (not all) also provide Disabled parking spaces for Blue Badge holders too.

6 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Thanks Dollymarie. There are some great bits of advice in that post. He already has some ear defenders, so will be taking them! I will give the ticket office a ring I think. & think a trip up when empty or a reserve game is a great idea. COYR

Ladies play Man City on Sunday at AG mate - not sure what time`s KO

Hi mate. Take my 8 year old who has Down's syndrome.  We don't go every week as you can generally gauge his mood and whether he would take the full 90 mins. The club have been brilliant and I have carers ticket which makes it more affordable seeing as we don't go every week! 

Sit in the dolman and people around have been great even when Owen cheers a goal .... any goal... home or away (I'm working on that). 

Am considering the family stand next year as sounds like it may be more child friendly in the build up as that is most difficult time. 

Drop me pm if you want any specific advice. Will help if I can

32 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

SP - are mental health issues dealt with in the same way as other disabilities by the club?

I hope your lad enjoys his first game (don't forget to get a cap)

I was watching Everton on FB and the Everton in the Community Down Syndrome Team. Excellent stuff. I was thinking that it would be good for City to get involved in something similar. There's lots of guys and gals who would like to play, I'm sure.

39 minutes ago, bch said:

Hi mate. Take my 8 year old who has Down's syndrome.  We don't go every week as you can generally gauge his mood and whether he would take the full 90 mins. The club have been brilliant and I have carers ticket which makes it more affordable seeing as we don't go every week! 

Sit in the dolman and people around have been great even when Owen cheers a goal .... any goal... home or away (I'm working on that). 

Am considering the family stand next year as sounds like it may be more child friendly in the build up as that is most difficult time. 

Drop me pm if you want any specific advice. Will help if I can

Thanks for that bch, it's much appreciated. COYR 

46 minutes ago, In the Net said:

SP - are mental health issues dealt with in the same way as other disabilities by the club?

I think so. I can't be 100% as I've never looked into it fully. But I would expect it to be the case. Especially if a life long mental health condition or a such a severe example of a condition that it affects daily life such as a fear of crowds.

Hi Simon79,

My son Sean has Down Syndrome.  He's been going since about 8 and he's 19 now.  He has a disabled season ticket and I go free as his carer.  (It's reciprocated at many away grounds too).

He loves the City and the whole match experience.  Thankfully, Sean doesn't have any sensory issues but he probably causes some as he sings incessantly throughout the game!!!

The club and fellow fans are very welcoming.  I'm sure Elliott will find it very positive.  PM me if you want more info or to meet up before a game for a pint.  Great to have more kids with Downs getting out there and being a more visible presence in the wider community.

Just to echo what people have said already.

ive supported a few people with disabilities to a match and fans and club are also very helpful.

I know a chap with learning disabilities and autism who sits in the Atyeo with the 'hooligans ;)' and the fans around him are great with him.

Ive found generally 99% of the general public are either very patient or just actually just don't notice.

good luck 

As a parent of a disabled lad we have a season ticket (me free). The disabled sections are great, although I'm not sure what the rules are for ambulant disabilities. 

Main things to think about are toileting (this may not be a concern for you) as hand basin water is cold and sometimes you have to queue for disabled toilets. 

Parking is another issue. I've given up with the idea of getting a parking space at the stadium so a blue badge can come in handy if arriving later. 

Don't expect changes to be made if you find anything difficult. You'll be told it will be discussed at a management meeting and you'll be forgotten. Sorry to say. 

10 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

I think so. I can't be 100% as I've never looked into it fully. But I would expect it to be the case. Especially if a life long mental health condition or a such a severe example of a condition that it affects daily life such as a fear of crowds.

Thanks for the reply - that sounds promising. 

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

As a parent of a disabled lad we have a season ticket (me free). The disabled sections are great, although I'm not sure what the rules are for ambulant disabilities. 

Main things to think about are toileting (this may not be a concern for you) as hand basin water is cold and sometimes you have to queue for disabled toilets. 

Parking is another issue. I've given up with the idea of getting a parking space at the stadium so a blue badge can come in handy if arriving later. 

Don't expect changes to be made if you find anything difficult. You'll be told it will be discussed at a management meeting and you'll be forgotten. Sorry to say. 

Ambulants can sit anywhere.  We sit in SS. 

Parking is a good point.  I put some flyers together and leafleted a few streets explaining about my son and how we were looking for a space on a drive on match day for a reasonable amount.  (Sean can walk ok but he's slow and not the most enthusiastic and as I can only get to games quite late it used to be a bit a panic and quite stressful.  He worries about being late).   I pay £5 a game for a space 2 minutes away.

Might be an option if you can spare the cash.  If you give people an opportunity to show kindness especially toward someone like our lads, i find they very rarely let you down. 

19 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I hope your lad enjoys his first game (don't forget to get a cap)

I was watching Everton on FB and the Everton in the Community Down Syndrome Team. Excellent stuff. I was thinking that it would be good for City to get involved in something similar. There's lots of guys and gals who would like to play, I'm sure.

Hi everyone. I just wanted to say a big thank you for all your posts on this topic. It's been great to read of your experiences & to listen to your advice. OTIB is sometimes a crazy place to be! But the response to this has been brilliant on this topic. Hoping to get Elliott to the gate asap to enjoy the rollercoaster that is supporting Bristol City! Once again thanks. COYR 

Simon

1 hour ago, Simon79 said:

Hi everyone. I just wanted to say a big thank you for all your posts on this topic. It's been great to read of your experiences & to listen to your advice. OTIB is sometimes a crazy place to be! But the response to this has been brilliant on this topic. Hoping to get Elliott to the gate asap to enjoy the rollercoaster that is supporting Bristol City! Once again thanks. COYR 

Simon

Hope he enjoys it! :city:

2 hours ago, Simon79 said:

Simon

Obviously the easy answer to Elliott not being overly comfortable with large crowds is to get him use to the concept at the Mem.

But evidently that would leave him exposed to the billions locked out every week.

Far better to take the advice of those with experience, speak to the dedicated disability officer and for your lad to have the very best of times (with the occasional disappointment), amongst a collective who will welcome him like family*.

*family you actually like, not some soap opera Christmas.

I've got nothing I can add to the original post as I've no experience of this but just thought it worth saying how bloody brilliant it is that so many people have replied with (hopefully) really useful information that will help you and your son get to watch City together live!

This site gets my goat up at times but posts like this show how thoughtful and caring people can be. Well done all!!!

Archived