IGNORED

Why do respected managers treat us like we're thick..?

BS4 on Tour...

Just a quick rant-ette.....

Gareth Southgate was asked today why he hadn't included Andy Carroll in his England squad for the friendly with Germany and the subsequent World Cup qualifier.

His reply was that Carroll hadn't played enough games recently so wasn't fit enough. 

Yet he has picked Luke Shaw in the squad, a player who has played one game since last October. Doesn't the England manager realise how ridiculous that makes his answer about Carroll sound?

We ain't thick...don't treat us like we are.

I have spent the majority of my professional career working in Communications, PR and Media Relations....and the first thing I've told everyone I've worked with is 'Don't ever lie, it will come back to bite you, just front up everything and tell the truth.'

Hate how the England hierarchy right now think they can fob us off with shite contradictions....

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Gareth Southgate was asked today why he hadn't included Andy Carroll in his England squad for the friendly with Germany and the subsequent World Cup qualifier.

His reply was that Carroll hadn't played enough games recently so wasn't fit enough. 

Yet he has picked Luke Shaw in the squad, a player who has played one game since last October. Doesn't the England manager realise how ridiculous that makes his answer about Carroll sound?

I have spent the majority of my professional career working in Communications, PR and Media Relations....and the first thing I've told everyone I've worked with is 'Don't ever lie, it will come back to bite you, just front up everything and tell the truth.'

Hate how the England hierarchy right now think they can fob us off with shite contradictions....

Luke Shaw was required due to the injury of Danny Rose. Andy Carrol wasn't required. 

3 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Luke Shaw was required due to the injury of Danny Rose. Andy Carrol wasn't required. 

Yeh, but Danny Rose has been injured since the end of January, it's not like Luke Shaw has been drafted in at late notice to cover him. Southgate picked a player who has played one game since October then justifies not picking another one due to lack of game time.

You say Carroll isn't required....we've only picked three strikers, two of which either are out of form or don't play regularly for their clubs.

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yeh, but Danny Rose has been injured since the end of January, it's not like Luke Shaw has been drafted in at late notice to cover him. Southgate picked a player who has played one game since October then justifies not picking another one due to lack of game time.

You say Carroll isn't required....we've only picked three strikers, two of which either are out of form or don't play regularly for their clubs.

Vardy is in form now, and Rashford is a future star in which it can only help to have him in the squad.

I always like a plan B, Carol or Deeney would be that. 3 similar forwards for a friendly when they could have at least had a look as something else, and Carol has scored some great goals this year. Also not many International teams face that sort of thing very often.

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

we have loads of strikers, we don't have many left backs, and I suspect shaw won't actually play he's prob there for cover

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I haven't come across too many in my time that you worked with then!.....honesty and humility seem to die by the day,its the world we live in now I think.

In his defence he has to be diplomatic about players he doesn't select.   If he doesn't like him for this game or he rates others above him then he can't say as such.  He needs to keep his options open for the future rather than alienate players by saying the wrong thing.  Fair enough for Andy Carroll fans to disagree with the failure to pick him but I don't think it shows a lack of intelligence to use diplomatic reasoning for those he leaves out.

25 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

You beat me to it with your comment.

Southgate doesn't come over as the brightest button in the box.

He's actually the opposite to that. He's a bright guy and so is Junior but they both tend to over complicate what is a simple game.

15 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

whats Andy Carroll actually done to deserve to be in the england squad anyway?, he shouldn't be anywhere near the national team unless the physio needs a work out 

He's been in good form actually. Scored a fantastic overhead kick a few weeks ago too. Probably deserved a place really. When he's at his best he's a fantastic option to have; not many better genuine targetmen in the premier league when he's playing well.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He's been in good form actually. Scored a fantastic overhead kick a few weeks ago too. Probably deserved a place really. When he's at his best he's a fantastic option to have; not many better genuine targetmen in the premier league when he's playing well.

fair enough, I'm bias'd against him as I don't really rate him, think Vardy is a better target man who is good at playing on the shoulder of the last defender, Carroll is more like Boom Boom, ie... chucking him on when time is running out and you are chasing a game so you can lump it up to him and he can be a presence from corners 

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

fair enough, I'm bias'd against him as I don't really rate him, think Vardy is a better target man who is good at playing on the shoulder of the last defender, Carroll is more like Boom Boom, ie... chucking him on when time is running out and you are chasing a game so you can lump it up to him and he can be a presence from corners 

Him and Vardy are very different players - I wouldn't describe Vardy as a 'targetman' in the purest sense. You'd compare Carroll against players he plays in a similar way to - such as Llorente or Benteke.

He's a very good option to have in the same way Vardy, Kane, Defoe and Rashford are all very good options with different strengths.

What you describe is one use for him, in the same way that it is for Wilbraham. He, like Wilbraham, also has lots more to his game than that. He's a far better player than lots give him credit for - just a shame he's perpetually injured.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Him and Vardy are very different players - I wouldn't describe Vardy as a 'targetman' in the purest sense. You'd compare Carroll against players he plays in a similar way to - such as Llorente or Benteke.

He's a very good option to have in the same way Vardy, Kane, Defoe and Rashford are all very good options with different strengths.

What you describe is one use for him, in the same way that it is for Wilbraham. He, like Wilbraham, also has lots more to his game than that. He's a far better player than lots give him credit for - just a shame he's perpetually injured.

depends on the style Southgate is trying to play I suppose, 

• Admin
13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yet five Englishmen have scored more Premier League goals this season than him, including Troy Deeney and Andre Gray....and Walcott has scored the same number as him....

Yeah but they weren't trying to get their managers sacked ;) 

• Admin
1 hour ago, bris red said:

Take my hat off to people that are actually still bothering about the national team.. that last euro's was the final straw for me jesus christ.

I literally couldn't tell you one other team from our qualifying group without googling it first.

Archived