IGNORED

Music quiz question

phantom

• Admin

My wife has just emailed with a quiz question they are having at her work - but neither of us know the answer

I know there are a few music buffs out there. . . the question

WHICH BAND HAVE HAD EIGHT UK NUMBER ONE ALBUMS BUT NEVER HAD A UK TOP TWENTY SINGLE ?

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

My wife has just emailed with a quiz question they are having at her work - but neither of us know the answer

WHICH BAND HAVE HAD EIGHT UK NUMBER ONE ALBUMS BUT NEVER HAD A UK TOP TWENTY SINGLE ?

I cheated and googled. Don't look if you don't want to know...

Led Zeppelin managed a run of eight consecutive number one albums between 1970 and 1979 without ever releasing a single. But an Atlantic Records reissue of Whole Lotta Love, which reached No.21 in 1997, put pay to this rather unique distinction.

9 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I didn't cheat SP....just saw the question and went Led Zep straight away, I'm good ,me !:P

My first thought was Queen and then realised Bo Rhap went to no. 2. 

Second thought was a newish band, Muse, but then realised they haven't had that many albums.

Then I gave up and googled.

11 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Er, just as a little nudge, Peg: Bo Rap went to #1, and Night at the Opera also topped the album charts in 1975. :)

Yeah but didn't it make no. 2 first and climbed to no.1 a week later where it then stayed for weeks. I'm sure I read that somewhere. 

Edit: Just looked on Official Charts Company. Bo Rhap was released on 31st Oct 1975 but didn't make no. 1 til end of November. Kept off the top spot by David Bowie and Billy Connolly. 

08/11/1975 SPACE ODDITY DAVID BOWIE 2
22/11/1975 D.I.V.O.R.C.E. BILLY CONNOLLY 1
29/11/1975 BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY QUEEN 9

@slartibartfast You'd get on well with my Hubby. He said Zeppelin straight off too!

2 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Yeah but didn't it make no. 2 first and climbed to no.1 a week later where it then stayed for weeks. I'm sure I read that somewhere. 

Edit: Just looked on Official Charts Company. Bo Rhap was released on 31st Oct 1975 but didn't make no. 1 til end of November. Kept off the top spot by David Bowie and Billy Connolly. 

08/11/1975 SPACE ODDITY DAVID BOWIE 2
22/11/1975 D.I.V.O.R.C.E. BILLY CONNOLLY 1
29/11/1975 BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY QUEEN 9

@slartibartfast You'd get on well with my Hubby. He said Zeppelin straight off too!

Bohemian Rhapsody is also, I think, the only song to top the charts that includes in its lyrics the title of the song that eventually displaced it at number 1.

And like Mr Peg, I got guessed Led Zeppelin off the bat: they essentially refused to release singles in the UK.

17 hours ago, phantom said:

Led Zep?

(Should read through thread, before posting!)

10 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I haven't read through all the replies but it's Led Zeppelin.

Incidentally , I recently went to their tribute band ' Letz Zep ' concert and they are really good .

Top blokes as well , don't take ' themselves ' too seriously but the music is spot on .

Anyone remember in the 90's a Glos. band doing the rounds locally.....Whole Lotta Led ?

They were excellent .

On 3/22/2017 at 22:02, One Team In Keynsham said:

Bohemian Rhapsody is also, I think, the only song to top the charts that includes in its lyrics the title of the song that eventually displaced it at number 1.

And like Mr Peg, I got guessed Led Zeppelin off the bat: they essentially refused to release singles in the UK.

Which was, Please?

Archived