IGNORED

Germany v England

Red Army 75

16 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Not great I agree, but I don't think he's stupid, and he's spent his entire career listening to and learning from one of the greatest coaches of all time, which does suggest potential.

Great player that he was and loved by Fergy  Given a coaching job at manu

As faf as I know he has applied for a few jobs, {Swansea for sure) He doesn't have it for me. You may have been a good winger in your time (Scot Murrray) but will you be a top coach,manager?

Giggs for me will never end up as a manager in the football league.

I know what your saying about learning from the best chips.

Can't see him ever making it.

Was still a fairly encouraging second half I thought. Will be interesting to see who plays Sunday. Ward-Prowse in for Livermore I'd like to see, just a fan of his, good quality from dead balls but could've moved it quicker when he came on. Michael Keane put in a good debut I thought, in and out of possession.

1 minute ago, Robin 101 said:

Hart

Walker Keane Cahill Smalling Rose

Dier

Lallana Alli Sterling

Kane

May not be the best team in the World but its a lot more exciting than most teams weve seen

Rose and Kane injured, Cahill suspended :sad26: Personally as tempting as it is to put all three of those attacking midfielders in I wouldn't want to leave Dier on his own in the centre of the pitch myself, brave and certainly exciting as you say though!

Against the best sides England will need Alli and Lallana working together.  I'd like to see them in a midfield 3 with Henderson.  Whether we play 3 5 2 or 4 3 3 is another issue but the middle is where you control things and we dictated the game when Alli and Lallana worked in tandem with Vardy.  Should have been 2 0 up at half time given the chances that Kean, Lallana and Alli had.

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

Against the best sides England will need Alli and Lallana working together.  I'd like to see them in a midfield 3 with Henderson.  Whether we play 3 5 2 or 4 3 3 is another issue but the middle is where you control things and we dictated the game when Alli and Lallana worked in tandem with Vardy.  Should have been 2 0 up at half time given the chances that Kean, Lallana and Alli had.

Lallana and Alli played as two number 10's behind vardy . Dier and Livermore as defensive midfielders. I thought it worked with that formation and 3 at the back. I'd like to see us carry on with it 

12 hours ago, North London Red said:

Some pics from tonight's game. Can't believe 11 years have passed since I was last in Dortmund (stayed here the night we lost to Portugal in Gelsenkirchen in 06). 

IMG_2212.JPG

IMG_2218.JPG

IMG_2222.JPG

Amazing stadium . Saw Poland Germany 2006 . Noise was unbelievable from both sets of fans . I think Podolski got the winner in last minute . 

12 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Lallana and Alli played as two number 10's behind vardy . Dier and Livermore as defensive midfielders. I thought it worked with that formation and 3 at the back. I'd like to see us carry on with it 

I don't mind it away to Germany or a similarly tough game.  It is a little defensive though.  I think another striker in a 3 5 2 with those 2 in midfield would work if we're trying to be expansive. Alternatively, play a little like Liverpool (4 3 3 ) with 2 wide attackers / wingers (Rashford/ Sterling?). 

We're at our best when we have a forward looking midfield.  Think Italia 90 - midfield 3 of Waddle, Platt and Gascoigne vs Germany.  1996, only Ince was defensively minded.  We had 5 players last night who've played centre half this season.  We can be a little more adventurous when it matters..

8 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I don't mind it away to Germany or a similarly tough game.  It is a little defensive though.  I think another striker in a 3 5 2 with those 2 in midfield would work if we're trying to be expansive. Alternatively, play a little like Liverpool (4 3 3 ) with 2 wide attackers / wingers (Rashford/ Sterling?). 

We're at our best when we have a forward looking midfield.  Think Italia 90 - midfield 3 of Waddle, Platt and Gascoigne vs Germany.  1996, only Ince was defensively minded.  We had 5 players last night who've played centre half this season.  We can be a little more adventurous when it matters..

I don't think it's defensive to be honest . A striker, two 10's who both had good chances last night , flying wingbacks and support from centre midfield. It lets us have possession high up the pitch. Agree with you , doubt he'll play that system Sunday as Lithuania will sit deep probably . 4231 or a diamond maybe ? 

6 hours ago, Cunnyfunt said:

Yep! The fact they still sing that 10 German bombers song is also a tad embarrassing. I mean really? 

Beyond Embarrassing. I mean seriously why on earth would you sing about that? Right up there with Hillsborough and Munich chants. Disgraceful.

Interesting to hear people say the Germans don't consider England rivals. I've just been to the excellent German national football museum in Dortmund, and there's a section about the national team's biggest rivalries. Four teams are mentioned (England, Holland, Italy and Austria), and England are first, with the most exhibits. 

17 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Interesting to hear people say the Germans don't consider England rivals. I've just been to the excellent German national football museum in Dortmund, and there's a section about the national team's biggest rivalries. Four teams are mentioned (England, Holland, Italy and Austria), and England are first, with the most exhibits. 

I work with a few Germans and they don't. They actually quite like us, probably because they almost always beat us. Holland they hate, and the Italians 

13 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

I work with a few Germans and they don't. They actually quite like us, probably because they almost always beat us. Holland they hate, and the Italians 

'They almost always beat us' - not true. In the historical head to head record it's about equal - England only have overall net losing records against four teams, I believe (Italy, Uruguay, Brazil and Romania). Even relatively recently we've done OK against Germany - since 2000 we've beaten them four times, twice in competitive games (Munich 5-1, and at Euro 2000) and twice in friendlies (Berlin 2008, Berlin 2016). 

Edit: that said, they always go further than we do in tournaments (with Euro 2000 and Euro 2004 the exceptions) - absolutely no debate there!

Archived