IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

10 hours ago, Miahdennehy said:

I think Clarke's comments were - at best- ill advised.

Odd how there is one thread lauding  a local radio presenter for a 'mind the gap' comment, yet others get a little  precious when a joke is made about non existent displays on an electronic scoreboard!

I do despair of football fans at times, some really do need to grow a pair.

I know you are ( for a Squatter ) a fairly sensible poster , but do you rally not get the difference in the two jobs the highlighted parts represent?

One is supposed to entertain and encourage debate of listeners and the other is meant to be a professional representative of your club. Not a pissed up no mark on a jolly with his mates down the local , I dread to think of the out cry if Cott's would have done that.

5 hours ago, Hello said:

We paid 2.3 million for 50% the same price Amtrak were paying to put a distribution centre on the site.

The deal was either side could buy the other 50% for 10k

So thats 2.3m plus 10k we paid.for the ground. All in the accounts as we have/had the mortgage to prove it

So you paid £2.3m for 50% and just £10k for the other 50% because your co-owners were in financial difficulties. Sounds like bloody daylight robbery to me, there isn't one person on this forum who wouldn't have ran to the mortgage lenders to take that deal !

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I know you are ( for a Squatter ) a fairly sensible poster , but do you rally not get the difference in the two jobs the highlighted parts represent?

One is supposed to entertain and encourage debate of listeners and the other is meant to be a professional representative of your club. Not a pissed up no mark on a jolly with his mates down the local , I dread to think of the out cry if Cott's would have done that.

So you paid £2.3m for 50% and just £10k for the other 50% because your co-owners were in financial difficulties. Sounds like bloody daylight robbery to me, there isn't one person on this forum who wouldn't have ran to the mortgage lenders to take that deal !

Which bit about Amtrak buying the site for that price and us paying the same for half is confusing you

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hello said:

Which bit about Amtrak buying the site for that price and us paying the same for half is confusing you

So some one else was willing to rip them off as well , I see you're pardoned in that case.

So let me get this right...

The Gash paid £2,301000 for 100% of the Memorial Stadium, and tried to sell it on for £20,000000 - Yeh right, of course there's no shady business going on right there!

As others have alluded to, the stadium will always be the golden egg that you protect at all costs, and yet somehow it how it finds its way into the Rovers hands with surprisingly (cheap) ease.

• Like 3

Rovers paid £2.3m for 50% of the Mem.  Bristol Rugby Club and BRFC agreed  a clause that should either party ever go bust, the other could buy the other 50% for a nominal £10,000.  We were so badly managed that we never paid off any of the £2.3m, and finally Barclays bank wanted out.  At which point Nick Higgs was forced to get a Wonga loan from MSP finance. 

No denying the fact that Rovers have been woefully mismanaged over the last 16 years or so.  Or perhaps longer.

11 hours ago, S_Y_G said:

For club that has no club song and whose fans can't even put their heads together to adopt or write one, its quite amusing seeing rover's chants/songs being criticised.   Maybe you should talk to non Bristol fans who have been to both grounds and see which they say has the best atmosphere, but you wouldn't like the answer.

Where Braintree?

come on, for 40 years you've done nothing, "Are you watching Ashton Gate "is your original song of choice.

Turn up and stop crying.

It'll make a change...

32 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Bristol Rovers season tickets 2015/16: 3,526 (http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/tickets/season-tickets/)

Season tickets sold yesterday: 4,000 (https://twitter.com/BristolSportAB/status/717237342461931523

They are a massive club with the best fans in the world. How we envy them.

Fantastic view of the ground in Andrew Billingham's tweet 

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

Bristol Rovers season tickets 2015/16: 3,526 (http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/tickets/season-tickets/)

Season tickets sold yesterday: 4,000 (https://twitter.com/BristolSportAB/status/717237342461931523

I'm sure they had 15 million people in the waiting list.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2016 at 20:16, S_Y_G said:

For club that has no club song and whose fans can't even put their heads together to adopt or write one, its quite amusing seeing rover's chants/songs being criticised.   Maybe you should talk to non Bristol fans who have been to both grounds and see which they say has the best atmosphere, but you wouldn't like the answer.

Typical drivel from the "super fans"

Which sets of fans would that be then? Recently we've had Bolton, Ipswich, Cardiff, Brighton & Middlesbrough come to Ashton Gate. When did they last visit your dump? And likewise, I can't remember Accrington, Morecambe, Cambridge or York coming to Ashton Gate in the last couple of decades either.

Either provide proof of your ridiculous claim or kindly fudge off! Pathological liar....:)

Edited by Kim_il_sung
  • Like 4

I heard I nice thing about our gaseous friends yesterday. Was playing golf against someone who is a long standing Rovers supporter but now only goes very occassionally. He remembers going to Eastville for a game v Newport County but was (understandably) disgusted to hear Rovers' supporters singing about Aberfan. Possibly the lowest thing I've heard of at football...

2 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Oh come on, selling over 3.5k of anything out of that portakabin of there's is an amazing achievement!

2 minutes ago, Calculus said:

I heard I nice thing about our gaseous friends yesterday. Was playing golf against someone who is a long standing Rovers supporter but now only goes very occassionally. He remembers going to Eastville for a game v Newport County but was (understandably) disgusted to hear Rovers' supporters singing about Aberfan. Possibly the lowest thing I've heard of at football...

Some City have been guilty of that in the past....

• Admin
19 minutes ago, Calculus said:

12 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Really? You really have to wonder what goes on in some peoples' 'brains'. Complete lack of thought or humanity.

Sadly, in the past it was heard 

• Admin
2 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

I'm genuinely amazed that they only had 3526 season ticket holders this season. That is a large chunk who POTD.

Mind you I wonder how many are put off by the ludicrous pricing they have

3 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Yes, really.  Its definitely been sung at Cardiff.

I'm afraid sick chants are not exclusive to any one particular set of supporters. I remember the Aberfan chant well, and even joined in with it on occasion, until I found out what it was all about .I was born in 1964 and have nor had any recollection the disater so blindly joined in with mates, who also joined in, in fact it was one of my mates mothers who put us right, when she heard about the vile chant.

I believe United and Liverpool supporters still taunt each other with sick chants, and probably will for years to come.

It wasn't all that long ago City fans mocked the death of Micky Barratt, and Rovers fans did the same about your chairman (apologies, but his name escapes me at the moment)

I do think things are changing for the better, and I know I can post the following without any worry or fear of malicious comments.

On Saturday before our game against Crawley I had my normal pre match pint(s) in the Civil Service club, surrounded by friends who I see at every home game. One of them was John, normally there with his son Paul, both good friends of mine through AEK Boco & Rovers. He explained that Paul was on a charity bike ride, and would be joining us later.

Sadly, tragically, Paul collapsed and died on the ride, he was just 42 years old. John is broken hearted, as are the mother, brothers and children he left behind.

Paul was one of the good guys, upbeat, always positive and Rovers through & through. Pre match pints at Rovers, and watching kids matches at Boco will never be quite the same again, but I suppose the  best we can ever hope for, is that we make a positive contribution during our short time on earth, and Paul certainly did that.

Edited by Miahdennehy
  • Like 14

On 03/04/2016 at 10:36, Doozerchris said:

1982 you belter know your history 

1982 - the year when a new company was formed in order to evade the club going out of business. The year when creditors of Bristol City Football Club had to accept a maximum of 20p in the £ - better than nothing, but still a big hit for small, local businesses who supplied goods on credit in good faith.  The year when 8 players agreed to tear up their contracts so that the club would not be declared bankrupt.

Following this, the Football League changed the rules so that this could never happen again - 1982 was not exactly the finest hour in the history of your club was it?

If you read Deryn Collier's account of those days, it seems that they were more concerned about Osborne Clarke buying a £1m worth of shares than they were about the Eastville stadium company - who he describes as "the greyhound people".

Just shows that when backs are against the wall, the business men stop at nothing to survive. I for one am glad that you did manage to keep going, there are some things that I wouldn't wish on any football fan - and losing your club for ever is one of them.

3 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

“Last season’s average home attendance, for league matches, was 6,636, while our average attendance this season is just over 7,500, which indicates that supporters believe that this club is at the beginning of a very exciting journey.
Read more at http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/tickets/season-tickets/index.aspx#4xkl8HTuzBcjbZ5W.99

:yawn:
UPkOc.gif
Edited by glynriley
  • Like 2

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 09:05, Miahdennehy said:

I didn't hear the comment, but I can assure you when Keith said it, it would have been said flippantly and you are reading far too much into what he said. He may even have meant the comment to be heard by his wife, who is an avid a City fan as Keith is a Rovers one.

I didn't hear this comment but I did hear the one the match after the takeover.

I assume it was the same guy, but I don't know any "personalities" at your club so I maybe wrong, but whomever it was said how excited he was because "it's not everyday you find yourself supporting one of the richest clubs in the country" thereby maintaining the myth that had already started to build around the Wael family. I wonder if he wants to retract that statement now that the dust has settled.

He was almost right to be fair, if he had said "this just another day when you don't find yourself supporting one of the richest clubs in the country" he would have been correct.

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I'm sure that all of us on here will unite in asking you, Miah to please pass on our sincere condolences and sympathies to the family and friends of Paul, a fellow Bristolian.

Can only add to comments above @Miahdennehy please accept our best wishes and pass on to family and friends of those affected

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Miahdennehy said:

On Saturday before our game against Crawley I had my normal pre match pint(s) in the Civil Service club, surrounded by friends who I see at every home game. One of them was John, normally there with his son Paul, both good friends of mine through AEK Boco & Rovers. He explained that Paul was on a charity bike ride, and would be joining us later.

Sadly, tragically, Paul collapsed and died on the ride, he was just 42 years old. John is broken hearted, as are the mother, brothers and children he left behind.

Paul was one of the good guys, upbeat, always positive and Rovers through & through. Pre match pints at Rovers, and watching kids matches at Boco will never be quite the same again, but I suppose the  best we can ever hope for, is that we make a positive contribution during our short time on earth, and Paul certainly did that.

Very well said Miah.

As a AEK Boco player myself I didn't really know Paul that well but from what I did know of him and from what the younger lads have said, he was a diamond who they all looked up to having grown up with him as their manager to one of the best Boco teams ever.

RIP Paul

• Like 4

2 hours ago, In the Net said:

1982 - the year when a new company was formed in order to evade the club going out of business. The year when creditors of Bristol City Football Club had to accept a maximum of 20p in the £ - better than nothing, but still a big hit for small, local businesses who supplied goods on credit in good faith.  The year when 8 players agreed to tear up their contracts so that the club would not be declared bankrupt.

Following this, the Football League changed the rules so that this could never happen again - 1982 was not exactly the finest hour in the history of your club was it?

If you read Deryn Collier's account of those days, it seems that they were more concerned about Osborne Clarke buying a £1m worth of shares than they were about the Eastville stadium company - who he describes as "the greyhound people".

Just shows that when backs are against the wall, the business men stop at nothing to survive. I for one am glad that you did manage to keep going, there are some things that I wouldn't wish on any football fan - and losing your club for ever is one of them.

You mean Clark Osborne, went to school with him, 'nough said !

2 hours ago, Miahdennehy said:

I'm afraid sick chants are not exclusive to any one particular set of supporters. I remember the Aberfan chant well, and even joined in with it on occasion, until I found out what it was all about .I was born in 1964 and have nor had any recollection the disater so blindly joined in with mates, who also joined in, in fact it was one of my mates mothers who put us right, when she heard about the vile chant.

I believe United and Liverpool supporters still taunt each other with sick chants, and probably will for years to come.

It wasn't all that long ago City fans mocked the death of Micky Barratt, and Rovers fans did the same about your chairman (apologies, but his name escapes me at the moment)

I do think things are changing for the better, and I know I can post the following without any worry or fear of malicious comments.

Saw it in the Post, very sad. Keep your head up mate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Miahdennehy said:

I rarely post on OTIB but have followed City since the early eighties. Paul was one of my best friends (and a work colleague here in Clevedon) and I have just left the family home having visited John and Mary to pay my respects. You sum him up well mate, he was one of life's brightest lights - full of energy and would do anything for anyone. A number of his close mates are City lads and I, for one, will desperately miss the banter with him.

He knew his football inside out having been a really decent local league player and a hugely successful Youth manager, he also rose above the petty rivalries that can spark between our two clubs. He was too positive about life to do anything else.

To be honest, I'm dreading going to the Gate tonight and not having him text me during the game as he always would. He will be missed enormously by all who ever knew him.

I obviously don't know who you are mate but I'll try and track you down at the wake to share a pint.

• Like 16