IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

"We always had a back up plan"  But apparently not an actual plan as they have to discuss it and plan it etc,

plan plan/

noun

1. a detailed proposal for doing or achieving something.

2. an intention or decision about what one is going to do.

verb

1. decide on and make arrangements for in advance.

2. design or make a plan of (something to be made or built).

Not a plan then...... more a passing thought, in other words,  "if all else fails we could always tart this place up a bit".  

"Very soon we'll try to reconvene and try to create a structure for this project to function on its own. For our legal advisors and project managers to get account of what's needed and move forward," Al-Qadi added, speaking to the club's website.

How ambiguous and non-committal can you get!!

A Plan B is what SL put in place which was securing active and concurrent planning permissons for both AV and AG.......as soon as AV failed, we kicked into Plan B.

You my friend haven't even gone as far as sketching it out on the back of a fag packet!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Gas would be better to do something similar to Bath City with regards to limited space/financial capabilities at present. 

I'd say keep and improve the DAS Grandstand. Flatten everything else and build a very crude but simple concrete terrace in a modern 'bowl' type shape. No fancy thrills, just basica plastic seats. Tin roof over the top all way round the ground so it looks half tidy and fans stay dry. Dont bother enclosing or decorating under the stands, leave them open, albeit for a few snakc stalls dotted around. 

This solution would be relatively quick and easy to build and would cost far less than pursuing a state of the art 20,000 seater that they don't really need. And it would certainly be far better than anything they have at present, which includes open air terracing, borrowed temporary stands from Wimbledon and a tent.

• Haha 1

If space limits how far back you can build, the only other options are to build up or down. 

The costs involved in lowering the pitch, will, I guess be far to great, so the only stadium I can think of that could be a realistic case study would be Rotherham. Very steep seating, which means you can't get as big a capacity. At a rake such as theirs I'd guess 12-15k max. 

It's still going to cost a lot more than Wally appears to be willing to shell out. 

36 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

If space limits how far back you can build, the only other options are to build up or down. 

The costs involved in lowering the pitch, will, I guess be far to great, so the only stadium I can think of that could be a realistic case study would be Rotherham. Very steep seating, which means you can't get as big a capacity. At a rake such as theirs I'd guess 12-15k max. 

It's still going to cost a lot more than Wally appears to be willing to shell out. 

Not to mention the natural spring that runs under the mem 

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Yeah - He compared the space they have to use as the same as Everton

Judge for yourselves

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

The area available for development and expansion around The Memorial Ground is certainly comparable to that around Goodison Park, as in:

The area available for development and expansion around The Memorial Ground is about a tenth of that around Goodison Park.

(second image dragged out so the ground is roughly the same size)

Many years ago someone posted on here that any time Rovers get anything of value, they sell it.

Harry Dolman had two season tickets for the Rovers and he was invited to join their board. At the first meeting he attended, they were discussing selling their own Eastville Stadium to the dog racing company and then renting it back. HD told the meeting that a club should always own it's own ground and selling Eastville would be a mistake. The then Rovers board told him with thinking like that he'd be better off at Ashton Gate, the rest is history.

It cannot be proven now, but make of this what you will. I've read that after BRFC sold Eastville, the Director's car park suddenly sported several Rolls Royces.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, 22A said:

Many years ago someone posted on here that any time Rovers get anything of value, they sell it.

Harry Dolman had two season tickets for the Rovers and he was invited to join their board. At the first meeting he attended, they were discussing selling their own Eastville Stadium to the dog racing company and then renting it back. HD told the meeting that a club should always own it's own ground and selling Eastville would be a mistake. The then Rovers board told him with thinking like that he'd be better off at Ashton Gate, the rest is history.

It cannot be proven now, but make of this what you will. I've read that after BRFC sold Eastville, the Director's car park suddenly sported several Rolls Royces.

Some of the Rovers directors at the time were also invoked with the greyhound company that bought the ground, which was a conflict of interest. History repeated itself when Rovers moved to the Minimal Stadium as the Bristol  Rugby owner, Malcolm Pearce, was a lifelong Rovers supporter. He put the rugby club into administration and Rovers bought the ground for £10k

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, SARJ said:

The Gas would be better to do something similar to Bath City with regards to limited space/financial capabilities at present. 

I'd say keep and improve the DAS Grandstand. Flatten everything else and build a very crude but simple concrete terrace in a modern 'bowl' type shape. No fancy thrills, just basica plastic seats. Tin roof over the top all way round the ground so it looks half tidy and fans stay dry. Dont bother enclosing or decorating under the stands, leave them open, albeit for a few snakc stalls dotted around. 

This solution would be relatively quick and easy to build and would cost far less than pursuing a state of the art 20,000 seater that they don't really need. And it would certainly be far better than anything they have at present, which includes open air terracing, borrowed temporary stands from Wimbledon and a tent.

. . . and don't forget Santa's Grotto

4 hours ago, B block said:

Is it only me that every time i hear the words colony I immediatly think lepers ?

For some reason or other I keep hearing colon e.

And we all know what comes out of a colon.

3 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Rich, I thought your post was well written with some great points made (phew I can hear you say!)

Before I go on any rant, are you referring as to how they got to own the ground in the 90s from Bristol Rugby Club or how and why BRC eventually left?

If it was the former, I admire their cheek and tenacity purely from a business perspective as to how their then board achieved the coup of the  century. The stupidity/greed of the Rugby board has to be questioned because of the mess they got themselves in.

In the film Dumb and Dumber, Jim Carrey asks a really beautiful millionairess if he has a chance of her becoming his girlfriend. She replied that he had a million to one chance. His response was "So I've got a chance then!" Rovers asked and got it all, courtesy of it being written down on paper!

Whatever we think of Rovers and that 90s business deal, they didn't learn from it. They should have. If they had, then we wouldn't have had the funniest laugh out loud moment in our history when we signed Matty Taylor....all because it was written down on paper and we asked! 

Let's see what else their new board has had written down on paper..........

I was referring to how they acquired the ground, Very dodgy!

Arthur Holmes was the chairman of the rugby club, he'd been in that position for a little while, evidently, he was also a supporter of BRFC.

He'd come in to give stability after professionalism of the rugby union, with Bristol rugby losing lots of money each season. He lent them the money to build their Centenary stand, which without his money, they couldn't afford.

After a couple of seasons, he invited BRFC to join as tenants of the rugby club, to help out with finances but, they still kept losing  money. He needed his money back (£2M) and a plan was hatched to form the Memorial Stadium Company with a 50% holding between BRFC (Dunford) and the rugby club, (himself).  So Bristol rugby received £2m From BRFC (Dunford) in exchange for 50% of the Memorial stadium company and Arthur Holmes got his £2M back. The rugby club were still losing money. As part of the new company formation, it was agreed that if either party should go bankrupt, the other party could purchase the remaining 50% for a figure of £10k. The rugby club were still losing money.

Within six months of that agreement, Arthur Holmes (the Chairman) filed for bankruptcy of the rugby club and BRFC(Dunford) exercised the right to purchase the remaining 50% of the shares in the Memorial stadium company.

Arthur Holmes was not a well liked man to supporters of the rugby club but, he was made a life president of BRFC, for services to that club.

Make of it what you want.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

Some of the Rovers directors at the time were also invoked with the greyhound company that bought the ground, which was a conflict of interest. History repeated itself when Rovers moved to the Minimal Stadium as the Bristol  Rugby owner, Malcolm Pearce, was a lifelong Rovers supporter. He put the rugby club into administration and Rovers bought the ground for £10k

£10k for that dump..?! He must have seen them coming..! 

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I can't get my head round why, unless it was for nefarious means, you'd put a clause like that in.  If a company is bankrupted, surely every effort to maximise the sale of assets should be made, to pay off creditors.

At the dodgy end of dodgy in my opinion. One way to look at it is that each thought the other would go bust before they did and so would pocket the ground.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

I was referring to how they acquired the ground, Very dodgy!

Make of it what you want.

Thanks Rich for turning my Dumb and Dumber analogy into A Few Good Men!

I got the second part of your brief history more or less right but had either forgotten or didn't know the first part (most likely the latter)!

Judge: For the twentieth time, and don't tell me I can't handle the truth, did you issue a code blue and white?

BRC Chairman: Too damn right I did.

3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

This is the story as my father used to tell it, he also said that the sale was pushed through during WW2 when people were busy defending the country. :(

1 minute ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

But only one party ever stood to gain from the clause. There was no benefit in it to the rugby club.

Didn't the rugby club get half the value of the stadium when the deal was set up? In which case they would have been able to buy it back for 10k had the sags gone under.