IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

They didn't take 45k against Shrewsbury either.

I had a listen, great memories....proper laughed out loud at some of the callers. I tried skipping through a lot of the tweets and interviews with people like the Dopemaster, GJ etc.

I don't know if my memory is failing me but didn't a City fan phone in and pretend to be a Gashead. I'm sure I remember him and his mates cracking up half way through his fake rant? I dunno if I skipped through it by accident or if I dreamt it?

Either way, what a great show. Can't pick my favourite call but it's between the bloke who listened to the wrong game all afternoon and the cretin who thought there were City fans in the away end.

So it's a toss up between Ian "How much of a berk do I feel (Well you are by default as you chose to support Ragass Tinpot FC)" from Fishponds or Alex and Ashley who chose to obsessively talk about the Teds just seconds after seeing their own club slide into oblivion?!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, myol'man said:

According to asschat Saturday's crowd was under 10k because it was all ticket and as some of the blue few have no access to internet or local media

(or can't read or write)  hundreds were either locked out or stayed in the Welly :whistle:

And there was me thinking it was because they're **** supporters,watching a **** team,wearing a **** kit,in a **** ground.

• Haha 1

A made up story of how a man’s love for a woman and his love for football may be reconciled.

This bloke’s wife gets a job in a different City so he has to move and then make a weekly trip of hundreds of miles to work at his favourite football club. The commute goes on for a while till he gets fed up and decides he has to put his family first so he starts applying for jobs at football clubs near his new home. One club doesn’t have a vacancy but they are flattered because they have never had such a smart person apply before so they use all their ingenuity to engineer a position. They put out an advertisement on their website saying they are looking for someone who must have experience of working at a professional club and give one week for applications to be in so they know only their man is likely to be in the frame. It all runs smoothly, the family is reunited and the new recruit is announced in a funfare of publicity.

Then the kind of bad luck which has plagued the club for years rears it’s ugly head again. They suddenly remember they already have someone doing the job which the new bloke has been brought in for and this gives rise to a lot of conjecture and suppositories. The old bloke who does the job is not very happy and there is even talk of constructive something but construction is not an activity which happens very often at this club. He is in such a bad way, doubled up with stoicism, that some people think his dis is about to be carded but luckily it is just the way he is sitting.

Anyway, the club issues a statement which smooths all the ruffled feathers of the birds in the overgrowth of brambles at the imaginary training ground and they all live happily ever after. Till the new bloke’s wife gets transferred back to Sussex.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, bert tann said:

A made up story of how a man’s love for a woman and his love for football may be reconciled.

This bloke’s wife gets a job in a different City so he has to move and then make a weekly trip of hundreds of miles to work at his favourite football club. The commute goes on for a while till he gets fed up and decides he has to put his family first so he starts applying for jobs at football clubs near his new home. One club doesn’t have a vacancy but they are flattered because they have never had such a smart person apply before so they use all their ingenuity to engineer a position. They put out an advertisement on their website saying they are looking for someone who must have experience of working at a professional club and give one week for applications to be in so they know only their man is likely to be in the frame. It all runs smoothly, the family is reunited and the new recruit is announced in a funfare of publicity.

Then the kind of bad luck which has plagued the club for years rears it’s ugly head again. They suddenly remember they already have someone doing the job which the new bloke has been brought in for and this gives rise to a lot of conjecture and suppositories. The old bloke who does the job is not very happy and there is even talk of constructive something but construction is not an activity which happens very often at this club. He is in such a bad way, doubled up with stoicism, that some people think his dis is about to be carded but luckily it is just the way he is sitting.

Anyway, the club issues a statement which smooths all the ruffled feathers of the birds in the overgrowth of brambles at the imaginary training ground and they all live happily ever after. Till the new bloke’s wife gets transferred back to Sussex.

Good story Bert, I am going to assume that you meant supposition, either that or they have strange ways of getting information in the north of Bristol! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, bert tann said:

Mr Tann ( another one that would suit the club).

Do you work for BRFC?. You seem to be very well informed, I know it's all riddle and rhyme but it is very insightful.

19 minutes ago, bert tann said:

A Stadium manager has the hump because younger bloke gets appointed as a director of something to do what was largely within the remit of the Stadium manager previously.

Scared of legal action, a club make an announcement saying that stuff is going on that means a second person is needed.

Disaster avoided..... for now?

Was I close Burt?

5 hours ago, myol'man said:

According to asschat Saturday's crowd was under 10k because it was all ticket and as some of the blue few have no access to internet or local media

(or can't read or write)  hundreds were either locked out or stayed in the Welly :whistle:

or didn't know which of their 6 fingers to press the 'Buy Now' button with.

5 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

or didn't know which of their 6 fingers to press the 'Buy Now' button with.

No,they saw" buy now" and thought they'd been logged out.

Edited by NOTBLUE
  • Haha 6

42 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

A Stadium manager has the hump because younger bloke gets appointed as a director of something to do what was largely within the remit of the Stadium manager previously.

Scared of legal action, a club make an announcement saying that stuff is going on that means a second person is needed.

Disaster avoided..... for now?

Was I close Burt?

If only there was a suggestion box suggesting ways to get out of this sticky situation.

Sitting here at arms length one takes stock of the situation and it is difficult to see how the Gas can finish the season in their current form.  Personally I do not wish them to go under - where else could we get this level of entertainment?  But one should also take a wider view - surely a city the size of Bristol deserves more than one decent team.  So, I hope they survive - as long as they are always below us (which seems likely).

5 minutes ago, Red Bill said:

Sitting here at arms length one takes stock of the situation and it is difficult to see how the Gas can finish the season in their current form.  Personally I do not wish them to go under - where else could we get this level of entertainment?  But one should also take a wider view - surely a city the size of Bristol deserves more than one decent team.  So, I hope they survive - as long as they are always below us (which seems likely).

NURSE!  Bill's on the computer again ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Red Bill said:

Sorry no, Bristol is similar to Bradford and will end up with one league team (better than Bradford’s), a Conference (South) team and a top flight rugby club  ( different code).

In fact, nothing like Bradford then, and Bath City as the area’s second most senior team is fine isn’t it? 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, RumRed said:

6% apparently, high in the current climate.

That's a guess based upon interest paid over average debt but it's possible that there are other payments in there to past directors (Higgs & co) so the actual rate could be lower; we won't know until the next accounts are filed 31 March covering the year to 30 June this year.

Even 5% would be high for a secured loan.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

That's a guess based upon interest paid over average debt but it's possible that there are other payments in there to past directors (Higgs & co) so the actual rate could be lower; we won't know until the next accounts are filed 31 March covering the year to 30 June this year.

Even 5% would be high for a secured loan.

Depends upon the quality of the security.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Depends upon the quality of the security.

And the likelihood of calling upon it; banks just want their interest and the loan repaid. They do not want to have to step in and seize security.

In a safe and regulated sector such as UK utilities or Housing Associations long term deals have been running in the 3.4 - 3.5% range recently (2% 20 yr rate plus 1.5% margin) but a football club wouldn't get this.  I saw a Scottish housebuilder (big Private Equity buy out earlier this year) get a margin over 5% which, given short LIBOR is c. 0.5%, is about on a par with the assumed 6% for the Gas which suggests that it is a market rate and that the owners are neither ripping the club off nor doing it any favours.

• Thanks 1