IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 hours ago, Aggers71 said:

It got all the makings for 60 minute make over.

Which technically is 59mins too long, just enough time for the opening credits to roll before the phrase 'there's nothing we can do here, let's go..' and the programme finishes!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

And the likelihood of calling upon it; banks just want their interest and the loan repaid. They do not want to have to step in and seize security.

In a safe and regulated sector such as UK utilities or Housing Associations long term deals have been running in the 3.4 - 3.5% range recently (2% 20 yr rate plus 1.5% margin) but a football club wouldn't get this.  I saw a Scottish housebuilder (big Private Equity buy out earlier this year) get a margin over 5% which, given short LIBOR is c. 0.5%, is about on a par with the assumed 6% for the Gas which suggests that it is a market rate and that the owners are neither ripping the club off nor doing it any favours.

I don't think that Wally is actually "ripping them off" however, having secured his investment against their only tangible asset, he has them in a perilous position. 

A club that continues to fall short of their break even attendance figure and lost their prized asset for way under market value, with the next coming into the free market period of his contract (Bodin), come the end of the season Wally will have no option but to start risking his own capital, or cut his losses and either sell up, IF he can find a buyer, or walk away and call in the debt secured against the Mem. 

Which will he do? I don't know. But Rovers had better hope that he has some money that he wants/needs to get rid of! 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I don't think that Wally is actually "ripping them off" however, having secured his investment against their only tangible asset, he has them in a perilous position. 

A club that continues to fall short of their break even attendance figure and lost their prized asset for way under market value, with the next coming into the free market period of his contract (Bodin), come the end of the season Wally will have no option but to start risking his own capital, or cut his losses and either sell up, IF he can find a buyer, or walk away and call in the debt secured against the Mem. 

Which will he do? I don't know. But Rovers had better hope that he has some money that he wants/needs to get rid of! 

Not sure if they are falling short of their break even figure, I think it's more a case of they don't have the capacity or infrastructure to meet their break even point.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I haven't seen much of this guy (obviously) but I have to say that was a classy looking finish on Saturday, his previous track record doesn't suggest much, but maybe he is a late developer? I would imagine our scouts have at least had a little look at him, he certainly has pedigree, his dad was a good player and a good professional. 

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Not sure if they are falling short of their break even figure, I think it's more a case of they don't have the capacity or infrastructure to meet their break even point.

Wasn't their break even figure openly reported to be 9k? They rarely push over that threshold and they must make very little other revenue to compensate for it. 

Unless it's a REALLY popular car boot sale..!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I haven't seen much of this guy (obviously) but I have to say that was a classy looking finish on Saturday, his previous track record doesn't suggest much, but maybe he is a late developer? I would imagine our scouts have at least had a little look at him, he certainly has pedigree, his dad was a good player and a good professional. 

He's certainly stepped up for them since MT left. Could he do it at a higher level? I've no idea, but in taking a punt on him, Championship clubs aren't going to need to offer Rovers much in January, or take him for free in the summer. 

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

And the likelihood of calling upon it; banks just want their interest and the loan repaid. They do not want to have to step in and seize security.

In a safe and regulated sector such as UK utilities or Housing Associations long term deals have been running in the 3.4 - 3.5% range recently (2% 20 yr rate plus 1.5% margin) but a football club wouldn't get this.  I saw a Scottish housebuilder (big Private Equity buy out earlier this year) get a margin over 5% which, given short LIBOR is c. 0.5%, is about on a par with the assumed 6% for the Gas which suggests that it is a market rate and that the owners are neither ripping the club off nor doing it any favours.

It suggests to me that their owner is a bank not Wael - he's just the bank's manager. The bank was persuaded to invest based upon the potential for a quick and handsome profit which never transpired. Now they're left working out their exit strategy. Your opening comment is so very true, Eddie "banks just want their interest and the loan repaid". How they achieve that will be keeping them awake during home matches.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• Admin
26 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Wasn't their break even figure openly reported to be 9k? They rarely push over that threshold and they must make very little other revenue to compensate for it. 

Unless it's a REALLY popular car boot sale..!

That was the figure mentioned a few seasons ago - I guess it is feasible is could have risen or dropped?

Interesting debate about it here http://www.gasheads.org/thread/4890/break-profit

51 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

It suggests to me that their owner is a bank not Wael - he's just the bank's manager. The bank was persuaded to invest based upon the potential for a quick and handsome profit which never transpired. Now they're left working out their exit strategy. Your opening comment is so very true, Eddie "banks just want their interest and the loan repaid". How they achieve that will be keeping them awake during home matches.

Spat Coffee over myself when I read that.

I am wondering why anyone would buy Rovers or invest. 

We still have no idea if the previous owners/directors have been paid, or how much debt that Dwayne Sports will want paid off in any purchase. But lets just say that a new owner gets the training site land, stadium, team and name for even a nominal £1 purchase price. What has he got. If they have done even the slightest bit of research they see another team on their doorstep with a wealthy owner, a higher league / position team, modern stadium and facilities that has been this way pretty much in living memory. This would immediately make me think of looking elsewhere. But you go ahead, you have no training site as your current contract has ran out, so you quickly need to put some money into your new land - even if just some cabins, equipment  land resurfacing and markings it's going to costs circa £100,000 to get something basic set up. You then decide whether to build a stadium, at this point your doing it because you want to own a football club and not for a return on investment as there simply is no profit in this unless you sale the mem and run away with the cash. 

Where is the opportunity here ? I really think they would be very low down on potential purchases if your looking to run a club because you love the game and idea. I would open a map a go for just about anywhere else with a decentish catchment area, and they would probably be better off than investing in Rovers.

Anyway, if it was me - I'd buy basic 10k seated stadium, build one stand at a time with the potential of adding other tiers one stand at a time when/if money/success/crowds demand. Yes we all like grand shiny  projects, but sometimes a kia can get you around until the Ferrari becomes affordable.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Fiale said:

I am wondering why anyone would buy Rovers or invest. 

We still have no idea if the previous owners/directors have been paid, or how much debt that Dwayne Sports will want paid off in any purchase. But lets just say that a new owner gets the training site land, stadium, team and name for even a nominal £1 purchase price. What has he got. If they have done even the slightest bit of research they see another team on their doorstep with a wealthy owner, a higher league / position team, modern stadium and facilities that has been this way pretty much in living memory. This would immediately make me think of looking elsewhere. But you go ahead, you have no training site as your current contract has ran out, so you quickly need to put some money into your new land - even if just some cabins, equipment  land resurfacing and markings it's going to costs circa £100,000 to get something basic set up. You then decide whether to build a stadium, at this point your doing it because you want to own a football club and not for a return on investment as there simply is no profit in this unless you sale the mem and run away with the cash. 

Where is the opportunity here ? I really think they would be very low down on potential purchases if your looking to run a club because you love the game and idea. I would open a map a go for just about anywhere else with a decentish catchment area, and they would probably be better off than investing in Rovers.

Anyway, if it was me - I'd buy basic 10k seated stadium, build one stand at a time with the potential of adding other tiers one stand at a time when/if money/success/crowds demand. Yes we all like grand shiny  projects, but sometimes a kia can get you around until the Ferrari becomes affordable.

I agree with most of that. 

Unless there is someone with serious money and a genuine connection too/love for the swamp dwellers, why would anyone opt for Rovers..?

There must be umpteen clubs that have a better infrastructure already than Rovers have, who'd be open to a foreign buy out. I can't see Rovers being/staying very high on anybody's wish list, once they start looking into value and potential. 

Let's take a serious and unbiased look at what they might offer a potential investor  

Support = ok/average numbers for 3rd tier club. Regular bad press. No evidence of large potential growth based on history spanning back most people's lifetime.

Stadium = no need to state the obvious..!

Land = pretty useless. Relocation is their only hope of a decent facility. 

History = woeful

Council support = they have done nothing but obstruct both clubs' development plans for 40 years. 

Catchment area = Huge, but not known as a footballing hotbed and have to compete against a far superior & more established, same city neighbour. 

Infrastucture = No training ground. No decent accadamy set up. Debt. Decaying, not fit for for purpose ground. 

I would very much think that Wally has been seriously duped into buying the club, with false promises and a serious lack of due diligence carried out. He must be regretting the day he ever discovered the M32.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 30/09/2017 at 13:08, Cheesleysmate said:

Here is a joke one that I made

https://instaud.io/1iNY

The whole of Mikes call

https://instaud.io/1iO0

And another one with Holloway's 1990 speech at the end....makes more sense now than it did back then.

https://instaud.io/1iO2

You can download and enjoy....

Will try and find a way to get the whole shows uploaded. I might have to break them down when I have a bit more time, either later this evening or tomorrow.

And a bonus video.....

http://sendvid.com/l6789ifk

My gift from the gift that keeps on giving......

You beautiful man (think you're a fella, apologies if not!).

I'm not one to laugh at others misfortunes but, wowzers that was good.

On 30/09/2017 at 16:40, Phileas Fogg said:

https://twitter.com/Gashead04Mark/status/914126174502219776

He must be parody surely? I love his bio though

I've never met him personally but I do know someone who works with him and can confirm he is real. Scary stuff.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I agree with most of that. 

Unless there is someone with serious money and a genuine connection too/love for the swamp dwellers, why would anyone opt for Rovers..?

There must be umpteen clubs that have a better infrastructure already than Rovers have, who'd be open to a foreign buy out. I can't see Rovers being/staying very high on anybody's wish list, once they start looking into value and potential. 

Let's take a serious and unbiased look at what they might offer a potential investor  

Support = ok/average numbers for 3rd tier club. Regular bad press. No evidence of large potential growth based on history spanning back most people's lifetime.

Stadium = no need to state the obvious..!

Land = pretty useless. Relocation is their only hope of a decent facility. 

History = woeful

Council support = they have done nothing but obstruct both clubs' development plans for 40 years. 

Catchment area = Huge, but not known as a footballing hotbed and have to compete against a far superior & more established, same city neighbour. 

Infrastucture = No training ground. No decent accadamy set up. Debt. Decaying, not fit for for purpose ground. 

I would very much think that Wally has been seriously duped into buying the club, with false promises and a serious lack of due diligence carried out. He must be regretting the day he ever discovered the M32.

Think you need to add 'local competition' as a section.

Can they compete with us? Not at the moment. They need significant spend on infrastructure to be league one competitive.

Do they have a great relationship with the other 'big' sporting side in the City, the rugby club? No. They shared a ground (regardless of who, why and how it was bought), but did they ever reach out to them and try and work with them? Not that I'm aware of.

If SL is lucky and Bris get back to the top flight next season then clever ticketing prices could see the rugby club poaching the occasional Mem dweller.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Think you need to add 'local competition' as a section.

Can they compete with us? Not at the moment. They need significant spend on infrastructure to be league one competitive.

Do they have a great relationship with the other 'big' sporting side in the City, the rugby club? No. They shared a ground (regardless of who, why and how it was bought), but did they ever reach out to them and try and work with them? Not that I'm aware of.

If SL is lucky and Bris get back to the top flight next season then clever ticketing prices could see the rugby club poaching the occasional Mem dweller.

I'd rather go and watch Rovers than Rugby..!!

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Go sit in a corner and have a long hard think about what you just said. Then come back and apologise....

I won't be doing either! but I'd rather watch shite football that good or shite Rugby. 

(From the away end, obviously!)

• Haha 1