IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Many times as a youngster I entered or left Ashton Gate without my feet even touching the ground as I was transported by the crowd.

I watched a game at the Dell in the early 70s. For approx 10 mins, my feet were off the ground due to the crowding of fans on that terrace. At the time it was considered part of the terrific atmosphere. My biggest fear was losing a shoe and not being able to pick it up.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rule The Waves said:

An acquaintance of mine who is fairly well known in and amongst the Robers hierarchy is of the opinion the rubbish about reducing capacity is a smoke screen  for them to justify closing stands and therefore reducing their running costs.

I'd be surprised if that was the case; sounds like the problem is on their main terrace rather than around the ground, so I don't imagine they would look to close that. 

No idea what the capacity of each tent is, but if they knocked 10% off they probably wouldn't notice any difference in attendance as they don't sell out.

7 minutes ago, Rule The Waves said:

An acquaintance of mine who is fairly well known in and amongst the Robers hierarchy is of the opinion the rubbish about reducing capacity is a smoke screen  for them to justify closing stands and therefore reducing their running costs.

I love the way your typo is so nearly the wholly appropriate 'Robbers' ......They tried to pinch Ashton Gate in 1982, they squatted at Trumpton then steal the rugby ground....my fave spelling error to date, good work Sir or Sirette!

• Like 1

Bristol Rovers chairman Steve Hamer has once again penned a message to Rovers fans asking for help in ensuring the good behaviour and safety of fans at the Memorial Stadium. Hamer said that the inspecting authority at the Plymouth Argyle match on September 30 rightly deemed the behaviour of some fans as unacceptable. The message from the chairman comes just a few weeks after he penned a piece in the club's programme ahead of the Blackpool match saying that a minority of fans were "besmirching" the Bristol Rovers name.  As well as warning these so-called fans about their future behaviour, Hamer has also asked for Rovers fans to help in improving the safety of fans at the Mem.

6 minutes ago, 22A said:

I watched a game at the Dell in the early 70s. For approx 10 mins, my feet were off the ground due to the crowding of fans on that terrace. At the time it was considered part of the terrific atmosphere. My biggest fear was losing a shoe and not being able to pick it up.

The East End used to be like that all the time back in the 70's.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I know this is as much the doing of the Bristol Post as that mob up the road, but to call a podcast "Gassing out loud" is just hilarious! Does anyone connected with them ever stop to think that so much about that club just makes us laugh, and laugh some more before they just serve up another portion of hilarity?!

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-post-launches-new-bristol-613481

Gassing Out Loud

:facepalm:

10 hours ago, Ian M said:

Once again Duane Sports show themselves to have no financial backing by claiming redevelopment of the Mem needs to be self funding. Just makes that infamous "unlucky the shit" video on the day Wally arrived, even funnier :D 

Forgive my ignorance but how can a rebuild of a ground be self funding? I mean i own a house. If i replace the roof, i pay for it so it's self funding but it has cost me money.

• Like 1

• Admin
5 minutes ago, bristolborn_and_red said:

Forgive my ignorance but how can a rebuild of a ground be self funding? I mean i own a house. If i replace the roof, i pay for it so it's self funding but it has cost me money.

I presume they either want sponsorship of the whole thing or to build things (e.g. Shops, hotels or flats) as part of the development that can be sold off to outside parties. Anything but put their hand in their pocket like our owner did basically.

10 hours ago, Red34 said:

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-rovers-chairman-steve-hamer-614845

Now threatening to have the Mem's capacity restricted - oh no even more locked out...

Another sad day for football in fairness.. fans aren't aloud to jump around in celebration.. !!

when I was 9 in the Eastend back in the day I would get separated from my Dad when we scored... I'm still here, part of the experience!!

What a sad and boring world we now live in!!!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Another sad day for football in fairness.. fans aren't aloud to jump around in celebration.. !!

when I was 9 in the Eastend back in the day I would get separated from my Dad when we scored... I'm still here, part of the experience!!

I'm gonna cut some slack with the h & s in this case........all those extra digits and limbs flying around cant be safe

2 hours ago, 'keepuplino' said:

You're lucky, I'm still looking for my Dad

• Haha 5

It's easy to laugh at that lot and laugh at that lot I shall.

However, on a slightly serious point- is one of the reasons they are being threatened with capacity reduction standing in the aisles?

Now I'm not conflating us and them but given what the SAG down here are like...basically is it or is not the case that some people at AG stand in aisles in certain bits of the ground? Can't be too careful with our SAG. Someone told me, or I heard it somewhere anyway that in the S27-S24 bit you know the standing/singing area there have been a couple of seats removed at top for steward to stand- presumably with a view to moving people away from the steps/gangway?

Is that true or not?

12 hours ago, bristolborn_and_red said:

If you recall, approx 2 weeks ago, they held a free pie tasting evening to decide on the recipe for their new pies. If, as a result, they sell 5000 more pies at each match at a profit of £1 per pie, that provides an extra £5k per match income. Over a 23 match season that generates £115k. Therefore, over approx 173 years the stadium could be rebuilt in easy stages. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

21 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

If you recall, approx 2 weeks ago, they held a free pie tasting evening to decide on the recipe for their new pies. If, as a result, they sell 5000 more pies at each match at a profit of £1 per pie, that provides an extra £5k per match income. Over a 23 match season that generates £115k. Therefore, over approx 173 years the stadium could be rebuilt in easy stages. 

Apparently they have a new pie supplier.

A company based in Brighton. Which, purely by complete coincidence, is the location where the bloke who organised the pie tasting last worked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Just had the misfortune to visit the old rugby ground,and at the end of the walkway between the clubhouse and terrace there’s a mock road sign saying Tote End Walk,just thought I’d share that with you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

Just had the misfortune to visit the old rugby ground,and at the end of the walkway between the clubhouse and terrace there’s a mock road sign saying Tote End Walk,just thought I’d share that with you.

The way I always heard it away fans could just walk onto the tote end back then, the problem was catching the rapidly retreating sags.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Apparently they have a new pie supplier.

A company based in Brighton. Which, purely by complete coincidence, is the location where the bloke who organised the pie tasting last worked.

So, not supporting local traders then...............that's another demographic they have pissed off along with ethnic minorities, university boards, supermarket retailers, horses, fence makers!

Before long, the only friends they'll be left with is the trusty tent and tarpaulin suppliers.

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

£19 million ?  obviously quick coffee break math..