IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

7 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

I was chatting to my gas head mate.  I was carefully explaining r****s situation, and the possibility that they might go into administration in the spring, due to the lack of funds by the ownership.  To which he replied, r****s are too big to go into administration. To big a fan base to let that happen.  I said well it happened to Hereford.  To which he replied Hereford!!!!.....we are a much bigger club than Hereford,  He asked me for more examples of clubs that have go into administration and subsequent liquidation only to reform, much lower down the leagues.

I was trying to think: Newport County and Darlington spring to mind.  I would put Moron FC on a par with them.

Tell him that Woolworths went into administration.  I believe they were even bigger than the sags (hard though it is to believe).

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

I was chatting to my gas head mate.  I was carefully explaining r****s situation, and the possibility that they might go into administration in the spring, due to the lack of funds by the ownership.  To which he replied, r****s are too big to go into administration. To big a fan base to let that happen.  I said well it happened to Hereford.  To which he replied Hereford!!!!.....we are a much bigger club than Hereford,  He asked me for more examples of clubs that have go into administration and subsequent liquidation only to reform, much lower down the leagues.

I was trying to think: Newport County and Darlington spring to mind.  I would put Moron FC on a par with them.

Rangers? Obviously nowhere near as big as the glorious slags.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, archie andrews said:

that absolute shithole makes the old plough lane look like the nou camp eh YBR.....

...kind of you to say Archie and I've got the fondest memories of Plough Lane - our last REAL home - but comparing it to the Nou Camp.... 

Ah **** it, I'll take the compliment!!

As for the memorial tent city... Well it's certainly different!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

30 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Jesus. Was it only ten years ago that Saints went into admin?

Crazy isn't t? Goes to show the amount of backing needed to get out of and then bounce back from administration.

If Rovers went in, I'm doubtful they could do both.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The company that owned Rangers went into liquidation, not the football club....lots of people got confused by that...they still are the most successful club in world football having won their domestic league 54 times...

I saw them beat Aberdeen in the `78 Scottish Cup Final at the "old" Hampden....awesome atmosphere.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Rangers and Aberdeen - now that's two teams whose fans REALLY despise each other...always a cracking atmosphere at those games!

I sort of followed the Bears as a kid (did not appreciate all the sectarian nonsense). My grandad was a Dons fan (watched them before the war), and had Rangers rellies in Glasgow.

6 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Having just had a gander at the fewers forum, it's almost as if half of them want the club to fail, just so their concerns are proved correct and they can then lord it over those who have no worries.

Just amazed that they haven't mobilised and formed a group to demand answers. 

Ring any bells ? 

1 hour ago, CrazyInWeston said:

And we ALL have these players to thank for not adding our club to that list!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38750475

Or businesses and people made redundant at said businesses that were not paid by Bristol city. That is who I feel more grateful to than 8 footballers who would have been out of a job if the had agreed or not agreed to rip up their contracts.

Personally I think those who lost more than those footballers are the ones that really lost out.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TRL said:

Or businesses and people made redundant at said businesses that were not paid by Bristol city. That is who I feel more grateful to than 8 footballers who would have been out of a job if the had agreed or not agreed to rip up their contracts.

Personally I think those who lost more than those footballers are the ones that really lost out.

Well I wouldnt know you see. I wasnt alive in '82

Just now, CrazyInWeston said:

Well I wouldnt know you see. I wasnt alive in '82

I was. And a lot is written about the 8.. not so much about others that lost livelihoods. All gets brushed under the carpet for a nostalgic look back at history.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CrazyInWeston said:

And there is probs why. No disrespect intended to those who lost more, but as you pointed out, it wasnt written so therefore how would I know about it?

It wasn't a dig at you. 

There is a lot written about it.. but us as fans generally only want to look at the nostalgic hero's of our club bit.  If you really want to know the history there is loads out there. Just as easy to find as that story you went looking for.

4 minutes ago, TRL said:

It wasn't a dig at you. 

There is a lot written about it.. but us as fans generally only want to look at the nostalgic hero's of our club bit.  If you really want to know the history there is loads out there. Just as easy to find as that story you went looking for.

Dont get me wrong, I didnt or ever felt like it was a dig towards me, its like war you see, its written by the victors, sure you'd see some accounts by some surviving losers of war, but it isnt what most people actively look to see. So it gets more buried over those who won.

• Admin
8 minutes ago, CrazyInWeston said:

Dont get me wrong, I didnt or ever felt like it was a dig towards me, its like war you see, its written by the victors, sure you'd see some accounts by some surviving losers of war, but it isnt what most people actively look to see. So it gets more buried over those who won.

Ask around, amongst some of those us who lived through it, in South Bristol we had colllections every Thursday in the local pubs (that was pay day when most were weekly paid), we had loads of fund raising going on, we were absolutely resolute that we would save our club, but, that said, it got to a position that looked bad, very bad.  We survived, but those of us who went through it will never, ever forget the glee, vitriol, piss taking and trying to make good from our misfortune that many, so many of the sags took part in.

Never forget!!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, harrys said:

Why the particular hatred with these two ?

Well the Neil Simpson 'tackle' on Ian Durrant (which put the Rangers player out of the game for three years) really cemented the hatred, and the sick Aberdeen chants about that tackle in subsequent years just added fuel to an already raging fire...but there was so much more.... have a peek here: https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/archives/football/168306/aberdeen-v-rangers-a-history-of-hate/

2 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Ask around, amongst some of those us who lived through it, in South Bristol we had colllections every Thursday in the local pubs (that was pay day when most were weekly paid), we had loads of fund raising going on, we were absolutely resolute that we would save our club, but, that said, it got to a position that looked bad, very bad.  We survived, but those of us who went through it will never, ever forget the glee, vitriol, piss taking and trying to make good from our misfortune that many, so many of the sags took part in.

Never forget!!

Alright, I'll ask you, you must have some stories, I mean, I applaud and cant thank enough those who saved Bristol City in '82, I see the news hounds over the "the 8" but what we dont get is the personal fans view. If you (or others) could tell me (although I'm sure you've told countless others) I'd appreciate it!

Oh and I realise this is the Gas thread. Didnt mean for it to go off topic like this.

5 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Never forget!!

And this is why I hope they sink like a stone. Hopefully their reformed comeback will be as successful as FC United of Manchester's efforts to become the new Man U!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CrazyInWeston said:

Alright, I'll ask you, you must have some stories, I mean, I applaud and cant thank enough those who saved Bristol City in '82, I see the news hounds over the "the 8" but what we dont get is the personal fans view. If you (or others) could tell me (although I'm sure you've told countless others) I'd appreciate it!

Oh and I realise this is the Gas thread. Didnt mean for it to go off topic like this.

I'll tell you something, it was a very very sad time. There had been boardroom fighting to take over control of the club and that spunked a load of cash, then there was confusion over what exactly was happening, the pikey squatters wanted "Trashton" for peanuts and to see us go under, we had the Support Bristol City Now or Never campaign, the players were on 10 year contracts and some fans turned against those players and very nastily too, vile threats ( similar to those against Matty Taylor from the Sags), local businesses suffered, the players struggled big time afterwards.....just ask Trevor Tainton! The whole affair was sour and the Sags LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT. The clock is ticking when it comes to their collapse, the Sags own 82 is just round the corner, be nice if we did put a derisory offer in for the Mem just to boot them out. Tick ******* tock

Edited by Cheesleysmate
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

I'll tell you something, it was a very very sad time. There had been boardroom fighting to take over control of the club and that spunked a load of cash, then there was confusion over what exactly was happening, the pikey squatters wanted "Trashton" for peanuts and to see us go under, we had the Support Bristol City Now or Never campaign, the players were on 10 year contracts and some fans turned against those players and very nastily too, vile threats ( similar to those against Matty Taylor from the Sags), local businesses suffered, the players struggled big time afterwards.....just ask Trevor Tainton! The whole affair was sour and the Sags LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT. The clock is ticking when it comes to their collapse, the Sags own 82 is just round the corner, be nice if we did put a derisory offer in for the Mem to build student accommodation on. Tick ******* tock

I see, thanks for your input here. The mere thought that the sags wanted our stadium confirms how badly their want our ground and are just totally jelly over us.

This also DEFFO confirms how bad the facilities are at their ground if they've coverted our ground since 1982, EVEN AFTER they moved to the Mem in 1996!! Boy do they hate us.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CrazyInWeston said:

I see, thanks for your input here. The mere thought that the sags wanted our stadium confirms how badly their want our ground and are just totally jelly over us.

This also DEFFO confirms how bad the facilities are at their ground if they've coverted our ground since 1982, EVEN AFTER they moved to the Mem in 1996!! Boy do they hate us.

Vice ******* versa.

• Haha 1