IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

32 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

No idea what this means, but hopefully it's more bad news!

http://gasheads.org/thread/6926/jims-jottings

it means that the rovers board are trying to stop fan involvement at board level despite the supporters club having a legally binding contract that states they should have 2 directors,

3 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Having supported City for 50 years, those players were my hero's.  However, I'm not sure that the 8 actually sacrificed anything in reality, since had they not ripped up their contracts, the club would not have been able to pay them anyway.   i.e. the contracts had become worthless. What  happened was a great shame, but we have now recovered and the future looks very promising. To reiterate though, I still hold the 8 in very high esteem.

The world is now a different place and the Sags may never recover after wally pulls the plug and repossesses the slum for a housing estate. 

What is more humbling is the careers they had afterwards.

Geoff Merrick Builder, Keith Fear , Greengrocer ...

Postman , Kitchen salesman etc . 

These lads went from Gods to scraping a living after they hung up their boots .

They just have proud memories.

Today's players don't have the same worries . 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

it means that the rovers board are trying to stop fan involvement at board level despite the supporters club having a legally binding contract that states they should have 2 directors,

So the fans one route to questioning the club looks to be closing then.

Still, they'll accept it without fuss. It's what they do.

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

So the fans one route to questioning the club looks to be closing then.

Still, they'll accept it without fuss. It's what they do.

by the looks of it, yet they still bury their heads in the sand,

They will continue to do so right up until the ground is sold from under them and they are homeless again

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

by the looks of it, yet they still bury their heads in the sand,

They will continue to do so right up until the ground is sold from under them and they are homeless again

What are they supposed to do, in fairness? Fans, in this country at least, are completely powerless against nefarious club owners. 

They should consider themselves lucky they have a voice on the board. Pretty rare these days. Steve Lansdown has made it clear he is opposed to a similar arrangement at City.

Some of their supporters were banned from the Mem under Higgs for speaking out about various issues so it's not the first time the voice of the supporters over there has tried to be silenced by owners. I think similar has happened at City under Lansdown, just in more subtle ways. ie the setting up of a talking shop in the form of the FAN parliament instead of genuine engagement with an independent supporters association like the Supporters Trust.

Just a fact of life now though that if your club has an extremely wealthy benefactor then they, and they alone, want full control of the club. The only alternative in England, at least, is total fan ownership; the Exeter City/AFC Wimbledon model.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Nobody will notice any difference, as the fans' Directors haven't questioned the Board for at least 10 years.

there in lays your problem,

as much as we are in safe hands with lansdown, he's always questioned by people with and without agendas, 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

there in lays your problem,

as much as we are in safe hands with lansdown, he's always questioned by people with and without agendas, 

We do have fans who ask questions, but unfortunately this doesn't include the two people who had access to the Board Meetings.  For many years the Supporters Club has been hand in glove with the owners, willingly handing over money without question.  They recently sold the SC premises at Two Mile Hill without consulting their membership, and the shortfalls of their accounting processes are well known.  I think the SC is an outdated institution which needs to re-think it's purpose.

7 minutes ago, In the Net said:

We do have fans who ask questions, but unfortunately this doesn't include the two people who had access to the Board Meetings.  For many years the Supporters Club has been hand in glove with the owners, willingly handing over money without question.  They recently sold the SC premises at Two Mile Hill without consulting their membership, and the shortfalls of their accounting processes are well known.  I think the SC is an outdated institution which needs to re-think it's purpose.

Always baffled me that they had an asset and then sold it.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

This suggests six players were on 11 year contracts - http://soccersouls.com/2013/12/04/bristol-city-and-ashton-gate-eight/

Dunno if we'll ever know all the details of what went on back then...

Never seen that reported anywhere before and I am still extremely doubtful of it now.

Those articles tend to be written by people who were barely out of Primary school at the time, if they were even born at all.

I can't see why the Clive Whitehead contract would have been so widely reported and the others not, so personally I'm doubting they ever happened.

What was clearly the case was that back to back relegations, dwindling crowds, unwise expenditure and several players well past their best (plus a couple, Julian Marshall and Peter Aitken who were simply crap) all lead to the Ashton Eight.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The article stating 6 players were given 11 year contracts is complete nonsense.

Whitehead was given a 10 year contract , and as far as preposterous contracts being offered, that was it.

Other sources (including The Guardian and the BBC) quote several City players were on eleven year contracts...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bristol/content/articles/2005/12/02/ashtongate8_feature.shtml

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/09/20/the-story-of-bristol-citys-three-relegations-in-747-days/

https://m.sportskeeda.com/football/the-story-of-bristol-city-and-ashton-gate-eight

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/05/have-any-football-teams-won-the-league-with-a-negative-goal-difference

...and a Coventry City book: 

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=8BM4DwAAQBAJ&pg=PT28&lpg=PT28&dq=alan+dicks+bristol+city+players+11+year+contacts&source=bl&ots=YvwvKfeZIi&sig=jVMH9o7Sh0y55c-2-gyf8ld8Nfo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiLneXvvM3XAhUhM8AKHWrRAVkQ6AEIZDAR#v=onepage&q=alan dicks bristol city players 11 year contacts&f=false

I obviously don't know the truth, but are all these (and countless other) sources all wrong and you and @GrahamC know different?

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I was around at the time and it was very well publicised.

It's not unusual for erroneous information in one article to be copied by subsequent ones.

There may have been others apart from Whitehead given longer than usual contracts but Whitehead was the only one to be given an outlandish one.

It does seem everything is exaggerated in retrospect these days, Whitehead's ridiculous contract was shocking enough and really doesn't need to morph into 5 other players receiving similar for added dramatic effect.

Whitehead was comparatively young at about 24 but other players who you might consider could have been the recipients of 11 year contracts were far too old already for the club to contemplate such action even if they had half a mind to.

Geoff Merrick would have been late 20's for instance - I hardly think City would have wanted to tie him down until he was nearly 40!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's not unusual for erroneous information in one article to be copied by subsequent ones.

There may have been others apart from Whitehead given longer than usual contracts but Whitehead was the only one to be given an outlandish one.

It does seem everything is exaggerated in retrospect these days, Whitehead's ridiculous contract was shocking enough and really doesn't need to morph into 5 other players receiving similar for added dramatic effect.

Whitehead was comparatively young at about 24 but other players who you might consider could have been the recipients of 11 year contracts were far too old already for the club to contemplate such action even if they had half a mind to.

Geoff Merrick would have been late 20's for instance - I hardly think City would have wanted to tie him down until he was nearly 40!

I agree with @GrahamC and @Nogbad the Bad in believing that Clive Whitehead was the only City player on an 11 year contract during the "Bristol City Now or Never" years. I certainly never heard of any other player on such a lengthy contract.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"

Post by mattybray007 on yesterday at 2:43pm

Random thought to share- For me just a lick of paint here and there would at least help to make the place more asthetically appealing! It’s just an old ugly rusty and concrete mess.
If the club put a message out there for fans to buy/donate a certain colour and type of paint I.e blue and white - and come along in your own time to help spruce the place up, I’m sure people would! At least we could see some form or improvement going on then. :laugh:! Why wait for the chiefs when the Indians can do something! Be nice to have a few banners I.e Irene lyrics and come on you blues etc and large motivating club posters around too! We can do lots of things that do not cost much money but as per usual we just do nothing! We should at least care for what we do actually have! No point pining for a mansion when you can’t even decorate and maintain your 1 bed flat!
  • Haha 5

31 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Don't wanna labour this point much further, but a thread on this forum in 2012 had more than a few mentions of six players on 11 year contracts.... @cider head seemed to contribute some knowledgable stuff around this point in that thread...so perhaps there is something in it...see below...

47 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Don't wanna labour this point much further, but a thread on this forum in 2012 had more than a few mentions of six players on 11 year contracts.... @cider head seemed to contribute some knowledgable stuff around this point in that thread...so perhaps there is something in it...see below...

Interesting as it was I think Cider head was simply copying and pasting and the source isn't always immediately clear. I haven't read every line - if you could point out the bit where it states there were 6 players on 11 year contracts, and who exactly said it, that would be appreciated.

If it was Derryn Coller or Ken Sage I'll concede, but I've never heard it said before, and certainly not from a reliable source.

Do you really think handing 6 players 11 year contracts is plausible when taking into account the advanced ages of the players concerned? Most of the established players were late 20's, some even older.

It really wouldn't make sense at all.

1 hour ago, RedLionLad said:

"

Random thought to share- For me just a lick of paint here and there would at least help to make the place more asthetically appealing! It’s just an old ugly rusty and concrete mess.
If the club put a message out there for fans to buy/donate a certain colour and type of paint I.e blue and white - and come along in your own time to help spruce the place up, I’m sure people would! At least we could see some form or improvement going on then. :laugh:! Why wait for the chiefs when the Indians can do something! Be nice to have a few banners I.e Irene lyrics and come on you blues etc and large motivating club posters around too! We can do lots of things that do not cost much money but as per usual we just do nothing! We should at least care for what we do actually have! No point pining for a mansion when you can’t even decorate and maintain your 1 bed flat!

Championship ready my ass.

• Like 2

"

How VERY non-league !

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

"

Sounds like the sort of appeal that my local Sunday League team would make :laugh:

Certainly not the kind of post you'd expect from fans of the 6th richest club in the country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1