IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, Swede said:

I only listened to the last 15 minutes from the bit about the academy players having to buy the jester's uniform.

He should be an MP the way he side swiped the questions.

He did say the training pitches will be ready by August next year I think. He'll be carpeted for that.

I certainly wouldn't like to buy  a second hand car from him.

Not the punishment it once was.

I believe they got the fake-sheikh-and-vac on it just last summer.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Absolutely superb performance by Mr Twentyman there; take a bow sir.

He remained polite and kept it moving but Hamer was clearly rattled and defensive.

• He's the owner - you don't hear from Roman Abramovich
  • He's the manager - he can shut up and look after the team

And the loan won't be called in until Rovers reach the Premiership :rofl2br:

Great listen, I love the random references that Hamer shoves in "World War Two Bomber Found on the Moon".

That thing about it being good that their Academy boys have to buy their own kit was reminiscent of those Bird and Fortune head to heads where one becomes more and more ludicrous and the other, whilst goggling incredulously at him, keeps going "Yes, I see, yes".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05lps2z

Comedy programme of the week!  I turned off Alexei Sayle's show earlier and this was far funnier.

His explanation for youngsters buying their own kit was ridiculous. Perplexing even. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Great. Training Pitches. 

Lets take a different, but not unconnected scenario.  You have been offered a job at Apple. The training and training facilities are absolutely fantastic. But when it comes to the actual job, you work in a dilapidated office with little support....

At least it’s a positive. 

As long as you aren’t wanting to go  on their training course for over a year and a half. 

Should be just about enough time to lose another £10million..! 

Quote from over there - He’s not wrong they are 2 completely different characters SL isn’t a fraud for a start.

‘But our situation is more complicated. Ashton is a dump, you could do what you want down there and no one will object, The Mem is a far more challenging site for lots of reasons. And landsdown is an individual happy to waste his money, whatever you think of the Al Qadis they are very different characters.’

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Quote from over there - He’s not wrong they are 2 completely different characters SL isn’t a fraud for a start.

‘But our situation is more complicated. Ashton is a dump, you could do what you want down there and no one will object, The Mem is a far more challenging site for lots of reasons. And landsdown is an individual happy to waste his money, whatever you think of the Al Qadis they are very different characters.’

"Ashton is a dump, you could do what you want down there and no one will object," Apart from Ashton Vale, obviously

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pride of the west said:

There is absolutely no way on earth bath will move to bristol. That doesn't mean that I doubt the gas have approached them though. They will try anything

As a regular traveler on the train from Wiltshire to City games i can vouch one of the biggest draws for Bath Rugby is the location. Often the train is packed with their supporters who have obviously made good use of the local hostelries with no need to drive. Even the bus from UWE to the centre of Bristol could become a major problem trying to 'hold on' if you've had a few. It would kill their unique club.

9 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

2017-11-23-21-12-03-.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

His explanation for youngsters buying their own kit was ridiculous. Perplexing even. 

It was the best bit, I'll type it out as I was just going "What?" when he was rambling about it:

Geoff: Is this true that the [Academy] lads buy their own kit?

Steve: Let me tell you, let me tell you that we have an exceptionally fine Academy manager in Johnny Henderson...

Geoff: Do they pay for their own kit?

Steve: ... and part of the basis that he wants to feel, you know, he believes that these guys should actually earn the right to be part of our Academy.  Now this is his policy, we support it, and I think that's one of the introductions he's made

Geoff: That they buy their own kit?

Steve: Absolutely, because you know they believe that actually that's part of, part of the make-up of being part of our Academy.

Geoff: Can they afford to do that?

Steve:  Well.... if they can't then obviously, uh,  they can find support elsewhere in terms of people helping them.  That is something that I think he wants to introduce.  Uh, I saw them last Wednesday night at Oxford United in the youth cup and they played extremely well we've got some very talented young mans (sic).  I am very happy about that department of the football club, it's well run and so far we haven't lost anybody that we don't wish to lose and, uh, there's a great loyalty bond there, and uh, I think that's one area that I feel very pleased about.

hqdefault.jpg 

Ron-Manager-isn_t-it.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It was the best bit, I'll type it out as I was just going "What?" when he was rambling about it:

Geoff: Is this true that the [Academy] lads buy their own kit?

Steve: Let me tell you, let me tell you that we have an exceptionally fine Academy manager in Johnny Henderson...

Geoff: Do they pay for their own kit?

Steve: ... and part of the basis that he wants to feel, you know, he believes that these guys should actually earn the right to be part of our Academy.  Now this is his policy, we support it, and I think that's one of the introductions he's made

Geoff: That they buy their own kit?

Steve: Absolutely, because you know they believe that actually that's part of, part of the make-up of being part of our Academy.

Geoff: Can they afford to do that?

Steve:  Well.... if they can't then obviously, uh,  they can find support elsewhere in terms of people helping them.  That is something that I think he wants to introduce.  Uh, I saw them last Wednesday night at Oxford United in the youth cup and they played extremely well we've got some very talented young mans (sic).  I am very happy about that department of the football club, it's well run and so far we haven't lost anybody that we don't wish to lose and, uh, there's a great loyalty bond there, and uh, I think that's one area that I feel very pleased about.

hqdefault.jpg 

Ron-Manager-isn_t-it.jpg

Makes Trump sound articulate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChubStixx said:

Just caught the rovers chairman saying that their academy players have to buy their own kits etc, and if they can't afford them they'll need to find the support from elsewhere. Did I hear right??

You probably did. I believe the same applies to our Academy as well. A lad I know was accepted into BCFC Academy in September and his parents had to find about £200 for training kit, etc. It's the equivalent of buying a school uniform for the sixth form.

1 minute ago, Tomarse said:

Disappointed GT didn’t ask him about the charge on the mem. Would love to have heard Hammy squirm about that 

I thought he did. 

Think he explained it wasn't unusual practice and it didn't have any effect on operating finances. Something like that. Implied it wasn't about to be called in. 

2 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Disappointed GT didn’t ask him about the charge on the mem. Would love to have heard Hammy squirm about that 

Tomarse, the charge did come up. A fan rang in. Apparently it is normal business practice and nothing to worry about. It is about safeguarding the asset. Dwane Sports are entitled to collect interest on the loan but apparently they are not.

2 minutes ago, Red Tel said:

You probably did. I believe the same applies to our Academy as well. A lad I know was accepted into BCFC Academy in September and his parents had to find about £200 for training kit, etc. It's the equivalent of buying a school uniform for the sixth form.

That's disappointing. 

I'd prefer to see it as analogous to getting a part time job at Tesco at 16.

You'd expect them to provide a uniform. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Red Tel said:

Is that for all age groups up to and including under 18s? I can see that being the case for say up to under 13s but anything over that then we are fighting for players to sign to us and not go else where.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

Is that for all age groups up to and including under 18s? I can see that being the case for say up to under 13s but anything over that then we are fighting for players to sign to us and not go else where.

According to my friend, whose son has joined the Academy this year as a pupil, before boys and girls are accepted into the Academy at 16, they have had to attain a certain academic level with their GCSE's results. For the next two years they spend most of their time in the classroom, where the uniform is a Bristol City tracksuit. There is more to the Academy than just being a good footballer. They are taught about all the aspects of being a footballer, including how to coach. This gives the kids a good grounding in case they don't make it as a professional, which, as we know, most won't. A lot of really good footballers don't make it as far as the Academy because they don't get good enough GCSE grades.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Malago said:

If they were a film studio it’d be hard to know if the would be Hamer Horror (geddit) or Ealing Comedy.

Just go for films instead, much easier.  That interview suggests ‘Carry on Camping’ , well a couple of tits were exposed, so it kind of fits.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

Ashton is a dump! The houses directly behind the Atyeo have been going for 350-400k a pop.  

As someone considering moving within BS3, trust me, your upper figure is now at the bottom end of what you would get something decent for.

Those gas monkeys in Fishponds simply have no clue just how expensive that part of South Bristol is now..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

As someone considering moving within BS3, trust me, your upper figure is now at the bottom end of what you would get something decent for.

Those gas monkeys in Fishponds simply have no clue just how expensive that part of South Bristol is now..

In fairness, whether somewhere is a dump or not isn't entirely about price. 

Look at the dumps in London.

Taking the club bias away from it, the area in the immediate vicinity of the stadium (at least some of it) is really quite unpleasant.