IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

19 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Wasn’t that long ago that they were laughing and taking the piss about how the Rugby was definitely going to churn up our pitch and cock up our chances of any kind of decent football at the Gate. Obviously their pitch would resemble a bowling green.

Wrong again Sagheads

That’s because they don’t take into account the mythical concept of appropriate investment. 

3 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

The thing is you can't knock what City are doing at the moment but that doesn't stop me from wanting it to stop!

Currently we are light years apart and that doesn't look like changing any time soon, but things do change and in football it can happen quite quickly. A year ago Lansdown and Johnson in particular were getting some horrific stick and the prospect of us facing each other again in league competition looked odds on, a year on and it looks as far away as ever.

I'm 53 next week, and at the moment, I'd take just beating you once more in my lifetime.

If you could be trusted (which you can’t!) i’d Love SL to lend you the use of Ashton Gate for ONE home fixture. Allow you in to see and experience just how far removed we are from you. Then send you back to the Mem, back to your realisation of what just how disgraceful your dump is just how much your “Jordanian Billionaire” hasn’t done for you! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I'm 53 next week, and at the moment, I'd take just beating you once more in my lifetime.

And herein lies the problem with your bitter & twisted support base. 

I genuinely don’t think you care about how bad things are for you, IF you could beat us, just once more! 

Perhaps winning a few games against league one teams might be a better thing to concentrate on right now..! 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

I genuinely don’t think you care about how bad things are for you, IF you could beat us, just once more! 

Perhaps winning a few games against league one teams might be a better thing to concentrate on right now..! 

Problem is they have always been like that,over 60 years of following city and living in north bris the vast majority of gas have a large portion of Aunt Bessie's attached to their shoulders. :yes:

You are correct, the biggest cheer at the men these days is if we lose, so the poor bastards haven't even had much opportunity to even indulge in the particular pastime.

Whereas I wouldn't betting most BCFC fans after home games go to a bar for a few more drinks, go home take a long piss, eat their evening meal and making sure they have drunk enough to numb them before settling down to the shit on terrestrial TV and then think 'hang on before I pass out I had better make sure I actually see a little comedy tonight, I wonder how the gas got on?'.

No need for a big cheer, it's just constant good cheer.

Edited by Esmond Million's Bung
  • Like 1

Not really, I just enjoy winning local derbies- it's fun :)

1 minute ago, Miah Dennehy said:

What makes you think I haven't got one already :)

If you have that was a good plan and now how about a tattoo of the new club motto and ancient Jordanian proverb " it takes time " the words entwined in a huge steaming camel turd?, should be popular with your one third of Bristol.

2 minutes ago, DANWRENBCFC4LIFE said:

What 2007 when we were concentrating on more important things like promotion to the championship?

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

If you have that was a good plan and now how about a tattoo of the new club motto and ancient Jordanian proverb " it takes time " the words entwined in a huge steaming camel turd?, should be popular with your one third of Bristol.

I haven't, but if we do beat you anytime in my lifetime, you can pay for me to have one done commemorating the event :)

• Like 1

Give me a break i'm 11 years older than you and my will is already written and although mainly still in control of most of my fraculties (as my late nan used to say) i'm on the slippery slope.

All joking aside, it's that hope that kept us lot going through the dark days of the early and then late 80's.

At least you are a realist.

Merry Christmas, although it looks as though all of the teams around you have woken from their slumbers, but hey 'it takes time'.

6 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

The thing is you can't knock what City are doing at the moment but that doesn't stop me from wanting it to stop!

Currently we are light years apart and that doesn't look like changing any time soon, but things do change and in football it can happen quite quickly. A year ago Lansdown and Johnson in particular were getting some horrific stick and the prospect of us facing each other again in league competition looked odds on, a year on and it looks as far away as ever.

Respect, you say it like it is, as always and with none of the nastiness like on gaschat that some spout over there.

Btw have you thought of cryogenics, I'm 53 also and would certainly be looking towards that option if I have had to put up with some of the dross you have had to put up with both on and off the field!

9 minutes ago, redcityman said:

Respect, you say it like it is, as always and with none of the nastiness like on gaschat that some spout over there.

Btw have you thought of cryogenics, I'm 53 also and would certainly be looking towards that option if I have had to put up with some of the dross you have had to put up with both on and off the field!

Is that a procedure to stop tears when you cry?, a great gift that would be a big seller at the gas newly refurbished and moved club shop, phase 1 of 'the big build' if it happens.

7 hours ago, myol'man said:

How does a club with reasonable attendances, at that level anyway, paying below the going rate to it's players end up in such a financial mess? Well they did it in the 50's and 80's I suppose 

They have zero profitability because they have nothing comparable to that which generates income for most Football League clubs. It used to be almost entirely attendance money (and to a lesser extent sponsorship) which made up the income, but since the 90's that has changed entirely, and that's why thanks to our investment we are finally turning the corner from a financial perspective. They simply don't have the facilities to generate that income. They don't have a decent number of boxes, VIP facilities, conference facilities, etc to make money every day of the week.

Speaking from a completely unbiased perspective (or at least trying to), they are an attractive proposition for a very wealthy investor who doesn't mind taking a gamble. While there's no doubt they have a smaller fanbase than us, they do have potential for a much larger fanbase than some ex-Prem teams - given the size of Bristol I'd imagine they could eclipse the likes of Wigan, Bolton, etc. Their problem is that they really need so much investment before they can start turning a profit.

Given their location near both town and Aztec West, they are actually in a prime position to attract the high-end sort of off-the-pitch revenue. Problem is, to take advantage of that, they need a new stadium, new training ground, enhanced youth, scouting and data programmes, etc. You're talking maybe £60m of investment needed, at which point you'd imagine their fanbase would grow, off-the-field revenue would absolutely soar and they'd start moving in the right direction. Basically, very high potential, but starting from a long, long way back.

As it stands, I can't see anyone willing to take that gamble. And I can't say I'm complaining.

• Like 1

'Tis the Season of Goodwill so perhaps worth reminding that we've more in common than this thread sometimes acknowledges.

For example, within a couple of seasons we've a reasonable chance of returning to the top flight (a place The Gas have never ventured) whilst they've a very good chance of returning to Non-League (a place we've never ventured since joining the nascent Football League.)

Merry Christmas indeed....