IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

5 hours ago, Cider red said:

Okay I'll say it....anyone else have a niggly thought in the back of their mind that it would be good for bristol football if they snuck up through the playoffs?

It’ll be good for ‘Bristol football’ if City get promoted to the Premiership but there won’t be any Gasheads rooting for that.

Personally I don’t care about Bristol football, I only care about Bristol City who IMO are the only club in this City who have ever shown any real ambition anyway. 

As we’ve seen this season we are perfectly capable of providing a good impression of football in this area on our own. The longer they stay in our shadows the better.

Having them in the Championship is like putting Holloway on TV....does very little to improve the tinpot, bumpkin image many outsiders have of our wonderful City.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

You have to wonder if they can afford to get promoted.

If they came up, were forced to go all seater within 3 seasons their capacity would drop significantly and they would be expected to pay championship wages.

The extra revenue from being in the Championship would only take them so far.

Interesting point Rob. I've discussed the following point elsewhere on OTIB but what if Bristol Sport did a deal with Rovers? 

The deal being if you, BRFC, get into the Championship, you can use our ground for a nominal fee. In return, Bristol Sport owns the Memorial Stadium which means the Rugby Team can return to its rightful home.

Would the gas fans turn up to Ashton Gate? When they had to in the 80s because of 'that' fire, the normal Rovers Eastville attendance dropped by around 2,000 for an Ashton Gate fixture. No doubt a few, as a matter of principle, would still stay away. 

What could happen if the deal was signed? Rovers would get relegated and go into liquidation. At the very least, Bristol Rugby would be back at the Mem.....until Bristol Sport sells it to Sainsburys. The money raised would be used to put a roof on Ashton Gate!

• Confused 1

Time to debunk another Gas Wembley attendance MYTH - this time the myth of 46K in the 2007 Playoff final vs Shrewsbury!

I feel like I have been here before! 

What I did find for the 2007 final was the following links:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/may/26/newsstory.bristolrovers
https://www.shropshirestar.com/shrewsbury-town-fc/2007/05/23/shrews-fc-shop-open-for-regalia/

Both suggest a few days before the final that Shrewsbury were due to take "around 25,000" - lets be generous to the gas and call it only 23,500, you would assume if was more than a few thousand out they would say 22K instead of "around 25K"

The Guardian report  also suggested that rovers quickly sold out  their initial 35,000 allocation and got another 5,000 tickets - This would seem correct, but I can find no evidence of them selling all of this extra 5k allocation and then getting even more tickets.

Given

1) the official attendance is 61,589

2) the fact reports say Shrewsbury were taking around 25K

3) that rovers had been reported to have sold between 35 and 40K  

it would seem likely rovers took somewhere between 38 and 40K - and t
his kind of backs up the wording in the following guardian article 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/may/28/match.bristolrovers

46K it is NOT!

BTW - I'd be delighted if anyone can confirm (with evidence/links) either the 46K or the Shrewsbury returned 10K tickets MYTHS that surround this match, but I'm not going to hold my breath good luck finding such evidence saggies reading this!

We have a good set of footballers giving it everything for the badge - Wrong

We have a development squad we can be proudabout with some very exciting players - Wrong

We have a good backroom team - Wrong

New owners who want the very best for the club - Wrong

New commercial dept looking to bring more funding into the club with new and innovative ideas - Wrong

A new Ground breaking shop in the near future - Wrong

New ticketing facilities to make it easier for distantgasheads - Wrong

We have a new training ground about to be built with excellent facilities to attract the right type of player to the club - Wrong

A newpurpose built stadium about to be announced - Wrong

A great set of supporters - Wrong

No mention of the manager, I'd agree with that one, Henbury Gas has taken it a step up with his bullshit.

23 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

They’re so ******* thick. They actually think that 40,000 are actual 15 ers and not 25-30,000 having a day out on the piss. I know plenty that went that that don’t even know what a football looks like . They went because there were seats on Robbo's minibus . Dumb ***** 

Sorry Stevie but I had to correct this. I'll expect a "I just don't have the words to express how much I like this post!" from him very shortly.

• Haha 1

Love this one:

After how much spent and won't even make the playoffs. Again. Shame.

We are currently 6th having spent less in the last five years than 16 other clubs in the league on transfer fees, don't quite get his point.

Oh and then Henbury Gas says:

Just love to get them going over there. Its like taking sweets from a kid. they still hate me because i proved them all wrong about an ex city supporter, now a dedicated gashead. 

Pretty certain you were proved wrong by club officials and went off with your tail between your legs mate...

:facepalm:

14 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Love this one:

We are currently 6th having spent less in the last five years than 16 other clubs in the league on transfer fees, don't quite get his point.

Just love to get them going over there. Its like taking sweets from a kid. they still hate me because i proved them all wrong about an ex city supporter, now a dedicated gashead. 

Pretty certain you were proved wrong by club officials and went off with your tail between your legs mate...

As I remember it, he was invited to show proof of this disabled red, supposedly attacked by our supporters in the stadium, and didn't, it was denied by both the football club AND Avon and Somerset police, wasn't seen by anyone in the 20,000+ crowd  and was proven to be bullshit! IIRC, wasn't there talk of a libel suit against Henbury numbnuts for blatant lies? 

If that's 'proving us wrong', I would love to know what the weather is like on his / her / it's planet?

What a bell end! 

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Love this one:

And the police . Someone check his hardrive ffs 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, glynriley said:

I hate to break it to you all, but, they are "On the edge of greatness"

(no sniggering at the back please)

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/11664/on-edge-greatness

:bored:

They've got more chance of getting to the edge of Loch Ness. Deluded? It's beyond delusion with these fools now.

1 hour ago, Unan said:

We have a good set of footballers giving it everything for the badge - Wrong

We have a development squad we can be proudabout with some very exciting players - Wrong

We have a good backroom team - Wrong

New owners who want the very best for the club - Wrong

New commercial dept looking to bring more funding into the club with new and innovative ideas - Wrong

A new Ground breaking shop in the near future - Wrong

New ticketing facilities to make it easier for distantgasheads - Wrong

We have a new training ground about to be built with excellent facilities to attract the right type of player to the club - Wrong

A newpurpose built stadium about to be announced - Wrong

A great set of supporters - Wrong

No mention of the manager, I'd agree with that one, Henbury Gas has taken it a step up with his bullshit.

Would be interesting to see if DC gets an opportunity to move on this summer. I can see him being keen to move on, no money to buy new players, no new ground and an owner whose gone very quiet lately. Also arguably sold their best two players in the past 12 months 

9 hours ago, glynriley said:

He says they have a great "Manger"

- Jesus, Mary & Joseph !

Is that what they call their end nowadays?

So next time (if ever) we have a game there and take their end, we'll be singing "Away in the Manger"

5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You've gotta love them...

http://gaschat.co.uk/post/368999/thread

:clapping:

What a bunch of absolute belters.

”envied away followings” :rofl2br:

Take a day off you deluded Sag idiots.

Same club that takes barely 300 to Gillingham, Rochdale and Bradford and even less to Scunthorpe...all on Saturday afternoons. Yeah I expect fans of clubs up and down the country dream of travelling in such huge numbers :blink:

Sleeping Giants? Haha, brilliant! 

Average crowds of around 9k last year, which was their highest for FOUR DECADES, bang average away support for a mid table L1 club and the worst ground in the League yet they think they’re massive. They’ve actually got the nerve to call us deluded.

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

As I remember it, he was invited to show proof of this disabled red, supposedly attacked by our supporters in the stadium, and didn't, it was denied by both the football club AND Avon and Somerset police, wasn't seen by anyone in the 20,000+ crowd  and was proven to be bullshit! IIRC, wasn't there talk of a libel suit against Henbury numbnuts for blatant lies? 

If that's 'proving us wrong', I would love to know what the weather is like on his / her / it's planet?

What a bell end! 

You’re right, he bottled any opportunity to show us proof and even changed the story about what happened several times. Didn’t stop the other gullible morons on Slagchat lapping it up.

If I remember correctly they even deleted the thread, presumably because the mods on there finally realised that they had been taken for a ride by a total bullshitter....

again.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, glynriley said:

I think @Rudolf Hucker has posted a reply:

“I’ve  been dreaming about Dolly Parton for 50 years and that will never happen “

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

I think @Rudolf Hucker has posted a reply:

“I’ve  been dreaming about Dolly Parton for 50 years and that will never happen “

59 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Bloody slagchat. What I actually posted was "I’ve been dreaming about doing it again with Dolly Parton for 50 years“

I feel a musical interlude coming on .........

5 hours ago, cityal said:

Time to debunk another Gas Wembley attendance MYTH - this time the myth of 46K in the 2007 Playoff final vs Shrewsbury!

I feel like I have been here before! 

What I did find for the 2007 final was the following links:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/may/26/newsstory.bristolrovers
https://www.shropshirestar.com/shrewsbury-town-fc/2007/05/23/shrews-fc-shop-open-for-regalia/

Both suggest a few days before the final that Shrewsbury were due to take "around 25,000" - lets be generous to the gas and call it only 23,500, you would assume if was more than a few thousand out they would say 22K instead of "around 25K"

The Guardian report  also suggested that rovers quickly sold out  their initial 35,000 allocation and got another 5,000 tickets - This would seem correct, but I can find no evidence of them selling all of this extra 5k allocation and then getting even more tickets.

Given

1) the official attendance is 61,589

2) the fact reports say Shrewsbury were taking around 25K

3) that rovers had been reported to have sold between 35 and 40K  

it would seem likely rovers took somewhere between 38 and 40K - and t
his kind of backs up the wording in the following guardian article 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/may/28/match.bristolrovers

46K it is NOT!

BTW - I'd be delighted if anyone can confirm (with evidence/links) either the 46K or the Shrewsbury returned 10K tickets MYTHS that surround this match, but I'm not going to hold my breath good luck finding such evidence saggies reading this!

I think people also have to remember the make up of any "support" taken to Wembley. For their club, it is an opportunity to show the world how much better than BCFC they truly are, they will treat this as a must do better than the shyte and pull out all the stops, telling the world and his dog that if you're a true gas head you'll be going to Wembley. I've seen the news reports, the stories and accompanying pictures. Every member of their family attended to have a great day out. I'd like to see a breakdown of tickets sold as, there were hundreds of pictures with grannies, grandfathers, young boys and girls, wives, all people that normally would not attend, out for a jolly. I know this happens to a degree with all clubs for these type of matches but, the make up of their support is unusually high in terms of those represented in the pictures and news reports and the reality is that, after all these one time attendees had "done their duty", when it came to the most important match in their history, barely 25k bothered to turn up. That in reality, is the whole of their support base rallying together, whilst leaving the once in a lifetime attendees, back in Bristol. I'd estimate that the majority who went for their biggest following, have only ever attended the one game. Can anyone provide details of adult, concessions and juvenile sales, or a comparison in revenue, based on ticket prices?

It pisses me right off hearing this BS all the time.

43 minutes ago, Rich said:

I think people also have to remember the make up of any "support" taken to Wembley. For their club, it is an opportunity to show the world how much better than BCFC they truly are, they will treat this as a must do better than the shyte and pull out all the stops, telling the world and his dog that if you're a true gas head you'll be going to Wembley. I've seen the news reports, the stories and accompanying pictures. Every member of their family attended to have a great day out. I'd like to see a breakdown of tickets sold as, there were hundreds of pictures with grannies, grandfathers, young boys and girls, wives, all people that normally would not attend, out for a jolly. I know this happens to a degree with all clubs for these type of matches but, the make up of their support is unusually high in terms of those represented in the pictures and news reports and the reality is that, after all these one time attendees had "done their duty", when it came to the most important match in their history, barely 25k bothered to turn up. That in reality, is the whole of their support base rallying together, whilst leaving the once in a lifetime attendees, back in Bristol. I'd estimate that the majority who went for their biggest following, have only ever attended the one game. Can anyone provide details of adult, concessions and juvenile sales, or a comparison in revenue, based on ticket prices?

It pisses me right off hearing this BS all the time.

The truth is that there are probably 10/15, maybe even 20 thousand “Bristolians” who will jump on a day out bandwagon with their mates, to watch either club at Wembley. 

I expect they only took 25k for the conference final because most of the day trippers had already been a couple of months earlier to watch our game. 

I would be amazed if 10/15k of those at our game Vs Walsall hadn’t also been to a Rovers appearance there aswell. 

Home gates are the only real reflection of “support”

We currently have around 17-22k and they have around 7-9k. 

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

The truth is that there are probably 10/15, maybe even 20 thousand “Bristolians” who will jump on a day out bandwagon with their mates, to watch either club at Wembley. 

I expect they only took 25k for the conference final because most of the day trippers had already been a couple of months earlier to watch our game. 

I would be amazed if 10/15k of those at our game Vs Walsall hadn’t also been to a Rovers appearance there aswell. 

Home gates are the only real reflection of “support”

We currently have around 17-22k and they have around 7-9k. 

I agree there are always people who will attend for a day out, I've been to every Wembley match and the Millennium but, apart from taking three kids to the Freight Rover in 87 (two still go), I've honestly never come across an attendee who never went to the football on a regular basis, by regular, I mean at least annually or, a lapsed supporter.

Even a modest crowd of 7-9k attending the dark side will be made up of about 12k-15k who attend regularly, 4k every match, 2k every other match 2k every 3 matches etc, not scientific I know but, it is in that region. I remember back when I think it was Davidson was chairman, possibly Sexton as CEO, he claimed our supporter base at that time was in the region of 20k who regularly attended, they'd done a calculation based on their information, yet our average was less than 15k.

What I was trying to highlight in my post was that, their supporters would have targeted that match to try and emphasise their massive fan base, by inviting all an sundry to tag along.

• Like 1

Okay so In the season 2014/15 season we were champions of league 1 and averaged 12k, that’s not that much more than they are averaging to be fair, and if you take into account the awful facilities available to sag fans, where as we have always had a pretty decent stadium. Let’s not sugar coat things to much, they like us do have a big fan base.

4 hours ago, Markred said:

Okay so In the season 2014/15 season we were champions of league 1 and averaged 12k, that’s not that much more than they are averaging to be fair, and if you take into account the awful facilities available to sag fans, where as we have always had a pretty decent stadium. Let’s not sugar coat things to much, they like us do have a big fan base.

Plymouth have bigger . Facts are facts .' They have a big fan base compared to who ? '

5 hours ago, Markred said:

So you are comparing a season where we only had approximately half the capacity available due to a rebuild? A season where we had to give a big section of the ground over to the away support, whether they had any chance of filling it or not, due to segregation? With logic like that I am sure you might actually survive the Gaschat censorship, if you decided to post over there.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Markred said:

We had a reduced capacity that season for a rebuild :blink:

Edit - beat by PSR

Edited by Guest