IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

29 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

So you are comparing a season where we only had approximately half the capacity available due to a rebuild? A season where we had to give a big section of the ground over to the away support, whether they had any chance of filling it or not, due to segregation? With logic like that I am sure you might actually survive the Gaschat censorship, if you decided to post over there.

Almost as if he wasn't an actual City fan .

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

When Rovers have a new stadium and are top 6 in the Championship, they will be getting crowds of around 20k as well. 

There are just a couple of problems with that plan...!

It’s like saying that when I’m a millionaire stock market dealer, driving around in a Bentley, i’ll be married to Rachel Riley..! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

When Rovers have a new stadium and are top 6 in the Championship, they will be getting crowds of around 20k as well. 

It’s like saying that when I’m a millionaire stock market dealer, driving around in a Bentley, i’ll be married to Rachel Riley..! 

That's probably the most likely to happen. Enjoy

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I honestly think they'd get 15-16k if they were in our position, they last averaged 20k 60 years ago and they haven't averaged over 10k for over 40 years, including when they were in the 2nd division back in the 90s

6 hours ago, Markred said:

What was our attendances like when we were mid table league one? Was a while back I know but does anyone have a link? 

Hi Newbie.

We haven’t had a year where we have spent most of the season mid table League 1 for ages.

In 2013/14 we’d been relegated back to League 1 after one of the most depressing seasons in my memory. We sold approx 8.5k STs that year iirc (unlike the Gas who only managed to shift 5k after promotion). We spent the first 6 months of that season in the bottom 4, even finding ourselves bottom at Christmas and we averaged 12k. 

6 hours ago, Markred said:

Okay so In the season 2014/15 season we were champions of league 1 and averaged 12k, that’s not that much more than they are averaging to be fair, and if you take into account the awful facilities available to sag fans, where as we have always had a pretty decent stadium. Let’s not sugar coat things to much, they like us do have a big fan base.

Yes, we had a reduced capacity that season of around 12.5k/13k including whatever allocation away fans were given. Basically the home sections of AG were pretty much full for most of the season. I’m surprised you don’t remember this?

Neither us or Rovers have a big fan base considering the size of a City like Bristol. Looking at the historical attendances of the two clubs however you have to conclude that either more Bristolians are City fans or City fans in general are more loyal and more willing to put money into our club than Rovers fans do. 

I don’t buy the facilities argument. The old Ashton Gate was hardly an example of modern day luxury. Rovers fans bang on about how they’re ‘real’ fans whilst we are ‘plastic’....it’s bollocks. When push comes to shove the whole facilities thing is just excuses not to go and watch the team they say they love on a Saturday afternoon. 

Lets not forget all the ‘if they play on the road we’ll watch from the pavements’ nonsense they were spouting when the UWE went down the bog. If ‘loyal’ Gasheads won’t show up unless they’ve got a nice comfy seat to sit in Ive got to say that sounds pretty ‘plastic’ to me.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We still had a higher capacity than our average attendance, our ground was still better than there shithole even with it being a construction site, if they get a new stadium like us and that’s a big if expect there attendances to rocket you would be surprised how many old ladies and a gentleman just don’t like the idea of standing up on a cold farm all day haha

18 minutes ago, Markred said:

We still had a higher capacity than our average attendance, our ground was still better than there shithole even with it being a construction site, if they get a new stadium like us and that’s a big if expect there attendances to rocket you would be surprised how many old ladies and a gentleman just don’t like the idea of standing up on a cold farm all day haha

Are you really that dense? Part of the ground goes to away fans by default, if the away club doesn't sell out those seats go empty.

We could have had 80% capacity and still have sold all home tickets available.

When was the last time Rovers were unable to sell any more home tickets? 

Edited by Guest

18 minutes ago, Markred said:

We had something like a 98% attendance when compared to our capacity and only 3-4 clubs sold out the away end...

36 minutes ago, Markred said:

Well so much for “faithful and true” then eh!? You saggies can't have it both ways.. you can't claim to be such wonderful fans then say that thousands are staying away because of the state of the ground and the fact you are crap. That would make you just as fickle and fairweather as anybody else wouldnt it?

So which is it? Either you have a fan base that is loyal but much smaller than ours, or you have a potentially bigger fanbase that can't be arsed to go and watch second rate football.

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Markred isn't exactly James Bond with his rather transparent undercover job is he!? Hope we've answered your questions pal!

Clearly not.

18 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

We had something like a 98% attendance when compared to our capacity and only 3-4 clubs sold out the away end...

Correct. 

The following season we had on average the most ‘full’ ground % wise outside of the Premiership.

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Hi Newbie.

We haven’t had a year where we have spent most of the season mid table League 1 for ages.

In 2013/14 we’d been relegated back to League 1 after one of the most depressing seasons in my memory. We sold approx 8.5k STs that year iirc (unlike the Gas who only managed to shift 5k after promotion). We spent the first 6 months of that season in the bottom 4, even finding ourselves bottom at Christmas and we averaged 12k. 

Yes, we had a reduced capacity that season of around 12.5k/13k including whatever allocation away fans were given. Basically the home sections of AG were pretty much full for most of the season. I’m surprised you don’t remember this?

Neither us or Rovers have a big fan base considering the size of a City like Bristol. Looking at the historical attendances of the two clubs however you have to conclude that either more Bristolians are City fans or City fans in general are more loyal and more willing to put money into our club than Rovers fans do. 

I don’t buy the facilities argument. The old Ashton Gate was hardly an example of modern day luxury. Rovers fans bang on about how they’re ‘real’ fans whilst we are ‘plastic’....it’s bollocks. When push comes to shove the whole facilities thing is just excuses not to go and watch the team they say they love on a Saturday afternoon. 

Lets not forget all the ‘if they play on the road we’ll watch from the pavements’ nonsense they were spouting when the UWE went down the bog. If ‘loyal’ Gasheads won’t show up unless they’ve got a nice comfy seat to sit in Ive got to say that sounds pretty ‘plastic’ to me.

source.gif.f4c22956d20e2155a2623ed029343066.gif

1 hour ago, Markred said:

It’s not difficult to understand, surely... there were games that season where we’d have sold double what we did, but we couldn’t. 

1 hour ago, 29AR said:

Are you really that dense? Part of the ground goes to away fans by default, if the away club doesn't sell out those seats go empty.

We could have had 80% capacity and still have sold all home tickets available.

When was the last time Rovers were unable to sell any more home tickets? 

Mansfield..?! :clapping:

4 hours ago, JBFC II said:

I honestly think they'd get 15-16k if they were in our position, they last averaged 20k 60 years ago and they haven't averaged over 10k for over 40 years, including when they were in the 2nd division back in the 90s

3 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Well so much for “faithful and true” then eh!? You saggies can't have it both ways.. you can't claim to be such wonderful fans then say that thousands are staying away because of the state of the ground and the fact you are crap. That would make you just as fickle and fairweather as anybody else wouldnt it?

So which is it? Either you have a fan base that is loyal but much smaller than ours, or you have a potentially bigger fanbase that can't be arsed to go and watch second rate football.

Loyal or not. Tis human nature to want to be in a nice welcoming, warm environment with superb facilities, good food, shorter queues etc etc.. You get my point. If you build it they will come, proven time and time again.

The thing with all this "my dad's bigger than your dad" support comparisons and the entire Bristol "rivalry" is that they - The Few - have got a target and something to aim at/match/be better/get/take more than, something to drive them on (they're going to be seriously unhappy if Man City do not give them a 7,801, minimum, allocation, next time Citeh have the privilege/pleasure of a visit from those tossers); but what have we got?

What and whom are we aiming at/trying to match? Who is driving us on, on and off the pitch?

Let me get us started: next time we play Walsall/Shrewsbury/Notts County/a L2 playoff final at Wembley, let's get organised and make sure we take more than The Few. I'm in. What about you?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

The thing with all this "my dad's bigger than your dad" support comparisons and the entire Bristol "rivalry" is that they - The Few - have got a target and something to aim at/match/be better/get/take more than, something to drive them on (they're going to be seriously unhappy if Man City do not give them a 7,801, minimum, allocation, next time Citeh have the privilege/pleasure of a visit from those tossers); but what have we got?

What and whom are we aiming at/trying to match? Who is driving us on, on and off the pitch?

Let me get us started: next time we play Walsall/Shrewsbury/Notts County/a L2 playoff final at Wembley, let's get organised and make sure we take more than The Few. I'm in. What about you?

giphy.gif.1f789a379bcc1be116bac83273fe59cf.gif

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Loyal or not. Tis human nature to want to be in a nice welcoming, warm environment with superb facilities, good food, shorter queues etc etc.. You get my point. If you build it they will come, proven time and time again.

There is (more than) one obvious exception, and we are going there next week...

5 minutes ago, 29AR said:

There is (more than) one obvious exception, and we are going there next week...

The caveat being you should be on an upward trajectory; assume you are referring to Cardiff crowds last season. That being said they are light years ahead of the crowds they were getting in the decade run up to building the new shed.

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

The caveat being you should be on an upward trajectory; assume you are referring to Cardiff crowds last season. That being said they are light years ahead of the crowds they were getting in the decade run up to building the new shed.

ah I stand corrected - I thought it went down hill when they built that monstrosity of a stadium... albeit there are bigger issues for their lack of support which I wholeheartedly support, such as those who will not return until Vincent Tan is gone.