IGNORED

Brighton defender & social media....

BS4 on Tour...

Surely Irishman Shane Duffy, who plays for Brighton, could have kept his thoughts to himself regarding the demise of Martin McGuinness, rather than call him a 'hero' on Twitter. Especially as McGuinness' IRA blew up The Grand Hotel in Brighton.

And Duffy was unrepentant with his response to Brighton fans who reminded him what McGuninness did to the town he represents as a footballer.

http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/ex-everton-and-yeovil-town-defender-shane-duffy-sparks-fury-after-tribute-to-martin-mcguinness/story-30220375-detail/story.html

Surely it's easier to just keep quiet rather than upset the people who pay your obscene salary?!

I don't agree with what shane Duffy said or believes in regarding calling Mcguiness a 'hero' but freedom of speech is something we all take for granted. 

I say that as a son of a former solider who served for 3 years in Northern Ireland and the last year was spent guarding mainly IRA prisoners in the maze prison.

Just because we don't agree with it doesn't been it should not be said. 

1 minute ago, Spoons said:

I don't agree with what shane Duffy said or believes in regarding calling Mcguiness a 'hero' but freedom of speech is something we all take for granted. 

I say that as a son of a former solider who served for 3 years in Northern Ireland and the last year was spent guarding mainly IRA prisoners in the maze prison.

Well said.

3 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Well said but he's got to expect the backlash as well. 

38 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Surely Irishman Shane Duffy, who plays for Brighton, could have kept his thoughts to himself regarding the demise of Martin McGuinness, rather than call him a 'hero' on Twitter. Especially as McGuinness' IRA blew up The Grand Hotel in Brighton.

And Duffy was unrepentant with his response to Brighton fans who reminded him what McGuninness did to the town he represents as a footballer.

http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/ex-everton-and-yeovil-town-defender-shane-duffy-sparks-fury-after-tribute-to-martin-mcguinness/story-30220375-detail/story.html

Surely it's easier to just keep quiet rather than upset the people who pay your obscene salary?!

Fair play to him, to many many people he is a hero to others he isn't, he is entitled to his view and entitled to express his view

2 minutes ago, harrys said:

Fair play to him, to many many people he is a hero to others he isn't, he is entitled to his view and entitled to express his view

But is it wise to do so when you play for Brighton where the bombing of The Grand Hotel is such a sensitive subject? Surely he can just keep his views to himself on this occasion rather than upset the people he represents?

5 minutes ago, harrys said:

Yep. I have no Irish connection but the English ignorance of how we treated them in the past is embarrassing at times. The violence is hugely controversial, but our hands were not clean.

All over the world there are people who have been on the opposite side of the political and social fence and Martin McGuiness would qualify just as would Nelson Mandela among others. They fought what they knew to be social and political injustice with means that are considered by many to be obscene but which ultimately from their point of view led to a better system of government that encompassed the religious minority in Northern Ireland or the racial majority in South Africa.

Both of the aforementioned then took up responsible political positions in their respective communities and worked with and for their former adversaries. I express no opinion on the rights and wrongs of his past except to say that we in England have had political and social freedoms much longer that many countries, that we tend to forget that many injustices still remain very close to home and abroad.

Lots of Irish people will be of the same opinion.  Ireland was one country once, before us Brits invaded many years ago. Many people died, and for some south of the border.... the war never ended. Atrocities have been perpetrated by both sides.  In fairness to McGuiness, he reinvented himself as a man of peace. And was instrumental in the peace agreement that has been very successful. I think both sides need to let go, because there's already too much hate in this world. 

34 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Just seems immature and disrespectful.

18 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Yep. I have no Irish connection but the English ignorance of how we treated them in the past is embarrassing at times. The violence is hugely controversial, but our hands were not clean.

When you say we and our I assume you mean the British. As a Brit I can clearly say I have never treated and Irishman poorly and my hands are clean.

8 minutes ago, john from high littleton said:

Lots of Irish people will be of the same opinion.  Ireland was one country once, before us Brits invaded many years ago. Many people died, and for some south of the border.... the war never ended. Atrocities have been perpetrated by both sides.  In fairness to McGuiness, he reinvented himself as a man of peace. And was instrumental in the peace agreement that has been very successful. I think both sides need to let go, because there's already too much hate in this world. 

It just seems to be very one sided. Ive read many reports from foreign outlets and it seems all to easy to pedal a story about British rule.

I'm fully aware of the way catholics were marginalised in Northern Ireland and wholeheartedly agree it was wrong, but there seems a rush to forget the nationalists in Northern Ireland who were happy with how things were.

Is there opinion worth less?

5 minutes ago, 054123 said:

It just seems to be very one sided. Ive read many reports from foreign outlets and it seems all to easy to pedal a story about British rule.

I'm fully aware of the way catholics were marginalised in Northern Ireland and wholeheartedly agree it was wrong, but there seems a rush to forget the nationalists in Northern Ireland who were happy with how things were.

Is there opinion worth less?

It's got nothing to do really with how catholics were marginalised in Northern Ireland. Many people south of the border believe there shouldn't be a Northern Ireland full stop. And that it should go back to being one united County, as it was before we invaded them. As Stallone would say - we drew first blood! We created what Ireland is today, a divided nation. But after many years of unrest, it does seem old wounds are at least beginning to heal. 

6 minutes ago, john from high littleton said:

Many people south of the border believe there shouldn't be a Northern Ireland full stop. And that it should go back to being one united County, as it was before we invaded them.

I'm assuming you meant 'Country' rather than 'County' but even so, I'm not sure you've got that right John, Northern Ireland was created in 1921 when it was 'partitioned' from Southern Ireland....British troops didn't go over there until 1969...

25 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Just seems immature and disrespectful.

Put yourself in shane duffys shoes, a person he thinks is a hero who has been portrayed as a murderer all day on the day of his death, he feels like he needs and wants to stick up for him. Shane Duffy would argue that it's not him being disrespectful but those who are talking about MCguiness whilst he's barely been put on his death bed.

Like I said don't agree with him but it's not a immature thing to do and a view point people like me and you will never understand as we haven't had to live through decades of troops on the streets and uk rule being forced upon everyone.  

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I'm assuming you meant 'Country' rather than 'County' but even so, I'm not sure you've got that right John, Northern Ireland was created in 1921 when it was 'partitioned' from Southern Ireland....British troops didn't go over there until 1969...

I think we're going back to Olivers Army here not 1969.

4 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Put yourself in shane duffys shoes, a person he thinks is a hero who has been portrayed as a murderer all day on the day of his death, he feels like he needs and wants to stick up for him. Shane Duffy would argue that it's not him being disrespectful but those who are talking about MCguiness whilst he's barely been put on his death bed.

Like I said don't agree with him but it's not a immature thing to do and a view point people like me and you will never understand as we haven't had to live through decades of troops on the streets and uk rule being forced upon everyone.  

If I played rugby for Leinster, I'd have the sense to not go over board about Cromwell despite all the modernisation he brought to England. 

That's why it's immature as demonstrates a lack of understanding of his situation.

I would expect it from kids nit responsible adults.

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

British troops invaded in 1919 . In reality Ireland was already under British rule long before then. But the uprising was quelled by some 20,000 British troops that massacred the much smaller Irish army, to make an example of them. Reluctantly soon after they agreed to the division of  Ireland. And in 1921, Northern Ireland became what it is today. 

22 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I'd be happy for it to be one country.

It's embarrassing. 

This is a question only people of Ireland and Northern Ireland can answer. My worrie would be that the peace process is still fragile and the current political situation is toxic at best. The division of a referendum on uniting the country again could ruin 10 years of peace ? 

4 minutes ago, 054123 said:

If I played rugby for Leinster, I'd have the sense to not go over board about Cromwell despite all the modernisation he brought to England. 

That's why it's immature as demonstrates a lack of understanding of his situation.

I would expect it from kids nit responsible adults.

This goes way above what Shane Duffy does for a living? The IRA struck all over the uk and Ireland not just Brighton. 

Freedom of speech is what being british is all about.

12 minutes ago, Spoons said:

This is a question only people of Ireland and Northern Ireland can answer. My worrie would be that the peace process is still fragile and the current political situation is toxic at best. The division of a referendum on uniting the country again could ruin 10 years of peace ? 

Wait till the hard borders go up after brexit.

11 minutes ago, john from high littleton said:

British troops invaded in 1919 . In reality Ireland was already under British rule long before then. But the uprising was quelled by some 20,000 British troops that massacred the much smaller Irish army, to make an example of them. Reluctantly soon after they agreed to the division of  Ireland. And in 1921, Northern Ireland became what it is today. 

But before that, England sought control of Ireland from the twelfth century, took control under the Tudors, replaced native Catholics with Protestants "bussed in" from Scotland and England, and oppressed and massacred Catholics under Cromwell. The Easter Rising of 1916 was a response to that history of our oppression.

Archived