IGNORED

Brighton defender & social media....

BS4 on Tour...

16 minutes ago, Leveller said:

But before that, England sought control of Ireland from the twelfth century, took control under the Tudors, replaced native Catholics with Protestants "bussed in" from Scotland and England, and oppressed and massacred Catholics under Cromwell. The Easter Rising of 1916 was a response to that history of our oppression.

Yes the Easter uprising in 1916, and the Irish war of independence in 1919 were both results of British oppression. Both failed, badly. And resulted in the break up of Ireland as it was. For this reason you can see how for some, McGuiness might be deemed a hero. Problem is somehow you have to put differences aside, and learn to live together. 

8 hours ago, john from high littleton said:

I agree with freedom of speech, as long as it's not offensive. Trouble is who decides what's offensive, and what isn't? 

Offence isn't offered it's taken.

So if someone finds something offensive that's down to their own sensibilities rather than the words of the original author.

10 hours ago, john from high littleton said:

British troops invaded in 1919 . In reality Ireland was already under British rule long before then. But the uprising was quelled by some 20,000 British troops that massacred the much smaller Irish army, to make an example of them. Reluctantly soon after they agreed to the division of  Ireland. And in 1921, Northern Ireland became what it is today. 

Apologies John, I assumed you were discussing the modern occupation of 1969...

2 hours ago, Gimme Shelton said:

And further back in history Irish pirates sailed up the Severn and Avon and captured Bristolians as slaves! How far back do you let grievances influence your behaviour today,let's all get over it!

spot on, they also enslaved the welsh, and the most famous slave.......................................................St Patrick!

People are entitled to their opinions but if they feel so strongly, why do they CHOOSE to live in the country they claim to hate? - same with the psychos in London yesterday, no one forces anyone to live here!

funny how every moral and principle, disappears when there's £££££s in front of them!

10 minutes ago, Nube Rojo said:

People are entitled to their opinions but if they feel so strongly, why do they CHOOSE to live in the country they claim to hate? - same with the psychos in London yesterday, no one forces anyone to live here!

funny how every moral and principle, disappears when there's £££££s in front of them!

Sorry I'm not sure I understand you. I think all parties that live in Ireland, love they're country. It's just some want the north /south divide, and others don't. This is the difficult issue, and with brexit a country without borders looks increasingly problematic for the peace agreement. 

Yeah freedom of speech blah blah. So, if some Muslim footballer tweets about yesterdays terrorist as a hero that's ok too?

Only difference between McGuiness and that **** yesterday is that one was a coward the other died for whatever his cause was.

Freedom of speech gets trotted out every time some gobshite praises an IRA coward. I sincerely hope Duffy has cause to regret his words .

17 minutes ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

Remoaners want to live in a Europe created and run for the benefit of Germans - now what have they ever done to mankind?

We need to park history and move on ffs.

Perhaps we should move on by being a little less negative towards the Germans. The war was a long time ago now.

Certainly Germany as an economy has been a great success, but they pay into the EU more than most. At they're detriment, to help poorer EU countries. That seems quite a noble thing to do. 

And as far as Brexit is concerned, I'm not sure why people should be branded remoaners just because they have legitimate concerns. I am quite worried myself, but really hope we can make a success of it. 

19 minutes ago, john from high littleton said:

Certainly Germany as an economy has been a great success, but they pay into the EU more than most. At they're detriment, to help poorer EU countries. That seems quite a noble thing to do. 

Tell that to the Greeks

6 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

It was cowardly never to admit to his part in some horrific acts though.

I don't think he's ever denied a collective responsibility as a member of the IRA for actions carried out by them.  Undoubtedly as OC in Derry, he would have been instrumental in planning or at the very least sanctioning actions that led to horrific loss of life for both combatants and civilians.  Every single one a tragedy.

The Good Friday Agreement should have mandated was a full peace and reconciliation process like they did in South Africa.  They would have given all those affected by the conflict to get answers.  I cannot imagine what it's like not to know what happened to a loved one, and not even knowing where their body is.  Horrendous. I think that still needs to addressed.

However, in the absence of that to admit personal accountability for any individual action would still lead to possible arrest and conviction.  Whether it would have been the 'right' thing to do or not, to do so would have been foolish on his part.   Unpalatable as it may be, it is precisely because of his reputation as a committed Republican that played an active role that he had the authority and respect to help bring about peace.  If he was languishing in jail, that may not have happened.

2 hours ago, pillred said:

I think the important word here is were.

If they had another vote tomorrow it would be the same. Nothing has changed since the last one. The Eu offers jobs, that there own country lacks. Greece is steeped in debt, thanks to the banking crisis and financial mismanagement by their own government. As things stand, young Greeks can travel to neighbouring Europe to live and work. Why on earth do you think they would want to leave? 

34 minutes ago, john from high littleton said:

If they had another vote tomorrow it would be the same. Nothing has changed since the last one. The Eu offers jobs, that there own country lacks. Greece is steeped in debt, thanks to the banking crisis and financial mismanagement by their own government. As things stand, young Greeks can travel to neighbouring Europe to live and work. Why on earth do you think they would want to leave? 

there have been various protests and riots linked to dissatisfaction with austerity imposed by the eu I know what you mean in that without constant eu funding they would be in the s*&t but a lot of greeks hate the eu the germans in particular.

4 hours ago, john from high littleton said:

The Greeks were overwhelmingly in favour of staying in the Eu. So what exactly would you like me to tell them? 

Perhaps explain to the Greeks why the Germans are continually allowed to break the rules of the Euro &EU by running a trade surplus over the agreed limit, but the Greeks must abide by the rules and be punished with austerity that is self harming

30 minutes ago, pillred said:

there have been various protests and riots linked to dissatisfaction with austerity imposed by the eu I know what you mean in that without constant eu funding they would be in the s*&t but a lot of greeks hate the eu the germans in particular.

I think you are right about that. But despite this, they still voted to stay in. It will be year before they're economy recovers, so I think they've made the right decision in the long term. 

35 minutes ago, Atyeo's lift said:

Perhaps explain to the Greeks why the Germans are continually allowed to break the rules of the Euro &EU by running a trade surplus over the agreed limit, but the Greeks must abide by the rules and be punished with austerity that is self harming

The problem with the Greek economy has much more to do with the Greek governments own mismanagement of they're own economy. And a world banking system unfit for purpose. To start blaming Germany because they are breaking they're own Eu laws, is quite frankly just shifting the blame. It's not what got Greece into this mess in the first place! 

Archived