IGNORED

Keith Palmer - Charlton fan (policeman) who was killed in Westminster attack

Dollymarie

So the police officer who died yesterday was a Charlton fan. The club have released this statement and put a club scarf on his season ticket seat this morning  

http://mobile.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-athletic-keith-palmer-statement-3639644.aspx

I haven't started this thread to have a debate about the goings on yesterday, (there's already one in the non footy forum for that) I've started it as it could have been any one of us as football fans who were killed or injured yesterday, if people wish to leave words of condolence etc. 

R.I.P Keith. Now watching the Addicks from the best seat in the house. 

Thoughts are with his friends, colleagues and family.

Not forgetting the others whom have passed and also whom are fighting for their lives or recovering from severe injuries. They are also in my thoughts. 

A child has lost her Daddy, a wife has lost her husband, maybe parents have lost their son and maybe siblings have lost their brother...where does it end, and for what? A brave man doing his job, protecting others. May he rest in peace and may his family go on to find some peace too.

Sadness, Anger, Frustration are all the feelings I had when seeing this news unfold. To go to work, go sightseeing or whatever & never go home again because of mindless, senseless acts like this is very hard to accept. Our thoughts are with everyone involved & their families.

R.I.P Keith & hopefully a speedy recovery to all the injured both physically & mentally.

Stay strong people of the UK.

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

Charlton have announced that 50% of gate receipts against MK Dons will be donated to his family. 

The players have also said that they will donate all their match fees too 

What a brilliant gesture. Always liked Charlton as a club. 

Great gesture, but.... (and this probably won't be a popular opinion)....

A number of people sadly died, are there similar whip rounds for them?

Don't serving Police officers automatically get a death in service benefit?

The club (Charlton) need to do a lot more than this to get fans back onside.

It's great that people want to express their support and solidarity with the police officer's family by making a donation to the cause, I understand that close to three quarters of a million has been donated, but surely the other people who died have left their family with a similar sense of loss. 

This isn't a dig at those who have donated, serving or deceased police officers or anyone else impacted, just an observation.

11 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

It's great that people want to express their support and solidarity with the police officer's family by making a donation to the cause, I understand that close to three quarters of a million has been donated, but surely the other people who died have left their family with a similar sense of loss. 

This isn't a dig at those who have donated, serving or deceased police officers or anyone else impacted, just an observation.

Fair points & comments

A complete tragedy for all involved but the officers family will , rightly , be looked after financially , and from a welfare standpoint

It is likely that other victims will not have those benefits - the fund really should be to help all the victims / families

11 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Sure there was a donation on line for the Woman that was killed as well.

28 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Fair points & comments

A complete tragedy for all involved but the officers family will , rightly , be looked after financially , and from a welfare standpoint

It is likely that other victims will not have those benefits - the fund really should be to help all the victims / families

Pretty sure a fundraising campaign was set up for all victims including families of people whom had passed and survivors with life changing injuries. I'll have a Google...

Edit: a couple of campaigns here... http://about.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/categories/emergencies/westminster-attack

Archived