IGNORED

Annual Computer Question

Markman

Have to say a lot of you on here are really helpful with computer questions!

My old PC is fine but my C Drive is getting full - can you extend the C Drive? (I seem to have zillions of microsoft prgrammes that must install as updates on the C Drive).  

I have an E Drive where I try and save games and music etc to protect the C drive - but still the c drive is showing red and pretty near full - what happens when it is full?

Best bet, buy a new solid state drive to replace your current C: drive. They typically come with migration software for you to copy the contents of your current drive running Windows over to the new one.

If it does fill, Windows will still boot and run but you'll start getting warnings about disk cleanup etc.

Opting for SSD as your primary drive will also shorten your boot time and offer a general performance boost to Windows as well.

Sounds like your all setup correctly, dumping most of your data on to another drive. Always best to keep your C: installs to the bare minimum where possible.

Any other questions, ask away :) 

On 2017-3-24 at 11:21, Gazred said:

Best bet, buy a new solid state drive to replace your current C: drive. They typically come with migration software for you to copy the contents of your current drive running Windows over to the new one.

If it does fill, Windows will still boot and run but you'll start getting warnings about disk cleanup etc.

Opting for SSD as your primary drive will also shorten your boot time and offer a general performance boost to Windows as well.

Sounds like your all setup correctly, dumping most of your data on to another drive. Always best to keep your C: installs to the bare minimum where possible.

Any other questions, ask away :) 

This is all good advice.

You can also install a program called WinDirStat which will give you a really handy view of what is using all the space.

Sometime you can free up a lot by clearing things like:

- temporary folder

- old system images

- download folders

- old application data for applications you've uninstalled.

There's no real reason for your C drive to keep growing except by the tiniest amount.

Take a look at the software distribution folder. Windows updates has been known to throw a wobbly (shock horror!)  I have known it up to nearly 50GB.

There are plenty of sites out there to show you how to clear it out

Archived