IGNORED

Most unlikely shaped footballer

Major Isewater

Garrincha.

Born with a deformed spine and one leg shorter than the other, he was immensely skilled and is said to have "inspired" the use of the 'olé' chant at football.

Juventus and Real Madrid tried to sign him, and then Juventus (and AC Milan and Inter) tried a unique offer where the three clubs signed him and he would spend a year at each. Garrincha decided to stay in Brazil though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/picturegalleries/11174673/24-of-footballs-fattest-professionals.html?image=1

Some already mentioned. Some surprising, Ronaldhino is on the list? I don't recall him being fat whilst playing? Ronaldo(brazilian) when he stopped he ballooned. But wouldn't say so as a player.

haven't gone through the whole list but surely Sam Parkin must feature. Sunday league players were in better shape than him.

2 minutes ago, ColeCiderRed said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/picturegalleries/11174673/24-of-footballs-fattest-professionals.html?image=1

Some already mentioned. Some surprising, Ronaldhino is on the list? I don't recall him being fat whilst playing? Ronaldo(brazilian) when he stopped he ballooned. But wouldn't say so as a player.

haven't gone through the whole list but surely Sam Parkin must feature. Sunday league players were in better shape than him.

or Jon Parkin! Think Sam was his sister :facepalm:

Saw John Harrison playing against us for Norwich in our play off final season.

He was a very big lad and wore the biggest pair of shorts I think I've ever seen on a pro footballer - you could have held a wedding reception inside them!

9 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Saw John Harrison playing against us for Norwich in our play off final season.

He was a very big lad and wore the biggest pair of shorts I think I've ever seen on a pro footballer - you could have held a wedding reception inside them!

and his lesser watch...?

2 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

Carlton Palmer.

Oh sorry, you said footballers......

I'm going to start the "Let's all support Carlton Palmer" campaign. He played nearly 600 matches in the league with the majority in the old first division and then the Premier League. You can't be that bad to do this, yet he has a reputation of being a crap player. Admittedly not the most elegant player, often looking like Bamby on ice, but he did the job he was asked to do

10 hours ago, Southstandoriginal said:

Billy Foulke. The song 58d58b14f24ad_C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_SavedImages_Foulke-sufc.jpg.532e9283c49b48fe4d39e26ba47659ac.jpgwho eat all the pies was reputedly about him!

Seems like quite the character!

At the end of the first match in the 1902 Cup Final Foulke protested to the officials that Southampton's equalising goal should not have been allowed. Foulke left his dressing room unclothed and pursued the referee, Tom Kirkham, who took refuge in a broom cupboard. Foulke had to be stopped by a group of F.A. officials from wrenching the cupboard door from its hinges to reach the hapless referee

He then moved to Chelsea for a fee of £50 and was made club captain. Foulke by now was remarkably temperamental. If he thought his defenders were not trying hard enough, he would walk off the field. Opposing forwards who incurred his displeasure would be picked up and thrown bodily into his goal. He was, however, a great crowd puller, and Chelsea decided to exploit this. To draw even more attention to his size, they placed two small boys behind his goal in an effort to distract the opposition even more. The boys would sometimes run and return the ball when it went out of play, and quite by accident, ball boys came into being.

Thanks to Fatty we have ball boys!

Anyone remember Andy Morrison ex Man City & Huddersfield? I don`t know how he actually ran given the size of him. Also Ian Ormondroyd of Bradford, about six foot six and ten stone wringing wet.

I also remember an early eighties end of season game v Millwall. We were already down and they had loads of injuries so had to play Barry Kitchener at CB. He must have been forty and about eighteen stone. Beat them 4-0 IIRC.

On Fri Mar 24 2017 at 12:13, Septic Peg said:

Exactly who I 1st thought of. Ideal build for Basketball. 

Neil Ruddock - should have been in a Rugby side. Built like a brick shit house.

Even more so - Eric Cantona. Didn't his brother play top class Rugby?

Archived