IGNORED

Jim Brennan

ontariored

It was good to see Jim Brennan as the sports commentator for Wales vs Republic of Ireland here in Canada along with Craig Forrest the Ipswich / West Ham Goalie. Jim brought great common sense to the discussion and proved to be fully capable similar to his time at Ashton Gate. Lets hear it for Jimmy B-R-E-N-N-A-N  !!!!

7 minutes ago, ontariored said:

It was good to see Jim Brennan as the sports commentator for Wales vs Republic of Ireland here in Canada along with Craig Forrest the Ipswich / West Ham Goalie. Jim brought great common sense to the discussion and proved to be fully capable similar to his time at Ashton Gate. Lets hear it for Jimmy B-R-E-N-N-A-N  !!!!

One of a great line of left backs.Was our strongest position Brennan,Bell,Scott and Mcalisiter

Weve had a few decent left backs.

4 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

I dunno, Bailey was my first I think 

Briggs played for us in the 60s. He was in the side under Fred Ford.

WAs in the side that just stayed up every season in the late 60s.

We had some great players at the time (in my young mind) Chris Crowe,Jonny Quigley,John Galley,Gerry Sharpe.

To name but a few and not forgetting the best keeper we EVER HAD GiBBO!!!!

5 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Briggs played for us in the 60s. He was in the side under Fred Ford.

WAs in the side that just stayed up every season in the late 60s.

We had some great players at the time (in my young mind) Chris Crowe,Jonny Quigley,John Galley,Gerry Sharpe.

To name but a few and not forgetting the best keeper we EVER HAD GiBBO!!!!

I only started supporting in 1987, my first real memory at LB was John Bailey 

I can remember him doing a really decent job against tricky Franz Carr v Forest in Semi

6 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

And before Jack Conner came down was our center backs Lowe  and Parr?

I am sure somebody will correct me, but, back in those days, we played with five at the back; the two full backs (Tony Ford and Alec Briggs) and the back three of Gordon Parr (4), Jack Connor (5) and Gordon Low - no E (6). If I recall correctly, both Jack Connor and Gordon Low (the latter being a tough Scot, but nowhere near as tough as the Bristolian Gordon Parr!) were signed from Huddersfield - hence their (Huddersfield's) continued desire to let us win and score loads of goals every time they visit Ashton Gate.   

I know this is not the thread for this but for Atyeo's last game I seem to remember him coming to Hartcliff and signing this magazine for all that wanted it.

Then going to the gate for his last ever game. Home to Ipswich. He was on 348 goals at the time and as I remember we won 4/1 and big john scored 2!! I'm pretty sure that's only game I ever saw him play .

Darren Barnard was unplayable, nobody got past him and he was a set piece expert. He turned that season around; there was a story in OTIB fanzine dividing the season into BD and AD (before Darren and after Darren) and the stats difference was stark.

Plus just prior to signing for Barnsley he signed a big contract extension so we received a big fee.

Best LB we've had IMHO.

2 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

I know this is not the thread for this but for Atyeo's last game I seem to remember him coming to Hartcliff and signing this magazine for all that wanted it.

Then going to the gate for his last ever game. Home to Ipswich. He was on 348 goals at the time and as I remember we won 4/1 and big john scored 2!! I'm pretty sure that's only game I ever saw him play .

I have just seen that your avatar includes Gerry Sharpe.

You are undoubtedly aware that he broke his leg against Middlesbrough (I can still hear the noise of the collision! :sad26:), but I cannot recall if he ever played again.

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am sure somebody will correct me, but, back in those days, we played with five at the back; the two full backs (Tony Ford and Alec Briggs) and the back three of Gordon Parr (4), Jack Connor (5) and Gordon Low - no E (6). If I recall correctly, both Jack Connor and Gordon Low (the latter being a tough Scot, but nowhere near as tough as the Bristolian Gordon Parr!) were signed from Huddersfield - hence their (Huddersfield's) continued desire to let us win and score loads of goals every time they visit Ashton Gate.   

Can you remember Ken Whimshurst?

One of the best games I have ever seen live was City 4/3 Sunderland First game of the season about 71,72

And ken,who was never liked by our fans curled one into the top corner in the 90th min.

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

You are undoubtedly aware that he broke his leg against Middlesbrough (I can still hear the noise of the collision! :sad26:), but I cannot recall if he ever played again.

Yeah after that break (I wasn't there} he was finished.

If memory serves me correctly Gerry ended up with one leg shorter than the other.

8 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

He came back for a reserve game which put a couple of thousand on the gate.

Pretty sure that was it, don't think he ever played for the first team again.

1 minute ago, stephenkibby. said:

Can you remember Ken Wimshurst?

One of the best games I have ever seen live was City 4/3 Sunderland First game of the season about 71,72

And ken,who was never liked by our fans curled one into the top corner in the 90th min.

I can indeed - and I apologise for my pedantic habit of correcting your spelling! Although we signed Ken Wimshurst from Southampton, he was from the North East, although I really have no recollection as to whether he played previously for Sunderland, Newcastle, Middlesbrough.... 

I also remember the game itself - a beautiful, sunny afternoon and Sunderland played in a grey strip. A young Sunderland player, Mick McGiven, gave me his autograph, leaning out of the team coach window, (he signed his picture from Shoot?) and I remember him laughing as he signed saying that he had no idea he was so famous!    

5 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Every time there's a thread about left backs we always mention Bell, Brennan and Barnard but everyone forgets Martin Scott.

Not at all. I fully remember being at a pre season friendly at Clandown with @Arthur Daley heartily singing "Scotty must stay, etc" not sure if he did or not, mind, but just thought it was worth mentioning that he was in fact ace. Scotty, that was, not Arthur. Didn't he go to (or come from) Sunderland? Again, Scotty, not Arthur. 

12 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Not at all. I fully remember being at a pre season friendly at Clandown with @Arthur Daley heartily singing "Scotty must stay, etc" not sure if he did or not, mind, but just thought it was worth mentioning that he was in fact ace. Scotty, that was, not Arthur. Didn't he go to (or come from) Sunderland? Again, Scotty, not Arthur. 

He went to Sunderland (Was it Martin Scott who signed a new contract to ensure City got a fee?), but joined from Rotherham.

I seem to remember playing at Clandown many years ago - a pitch with a huge sideways slope? Or was that Clutton? Or even Temple Cloud? 

Archived