IGNORED

Jim Brennan

ontariored

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

Every time there's a thread about left backs we always mention Bell, Brennan and Barnard but everyone forgets Martin Scott.

The best of the lot, for me. Harder than the rest of those mentioned, ie. a proper defender first and foremost, but could deliver a quality ball in the final third - see Wayne's goal in the first cup tie against Liverpool.

5 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The best of the lot, for me. Harder than the rest of those mentioned, ie. a proper defender first and foremost, but could deliver a quality ball in the final third - see Wayne's goal in the first cup tie against Liverpool.

Ditto the above, quality LB.

8 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

And Alec Briggs. Was a fullback, can't remember if he was right or left?

Alec Briggs started as a right full back with the legend Mike Thresher at left full back in the early 60s.

Then Briggs moved to left back when Tony Ford came in at right full back.

Started a team of giants then of Ford, Briggs, Connor, Low, Parr, Atyeo, Clarke, Bush even Jantzen Derrick a singer was fairly tall for them days. Gibbo in goal was almost the smallest.

7 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

And had Mark Walters in his pocket all night. It`s a toss up between Barnard and Scott for the best I`ve ever seen at City with honourable mentions to Jim Brennan, Mickey Bell and the often forgotten Gary Williams.

It is a position we have been blessed in over the years unlike right back.......:grr:

Going back to the start of my supporting City, there was Jack Bailey at LB and Ivor Guy at RB.

Both Bristolians.

An earlier post mentioned Parr, Connor and Low. Gordon Parr was a local Bristol boy and was around in the late 1950's but didn't become a regular first teamer until around 1964.

Jack Connor signed from Huddersfield, swapped with John McCann in autumn 1960 followed a bit later by his Huddersfield colleague and Denis Law's Best Man, Gordon Low.

Definitely have been blessed with some cracking lefties.

Question is when/who are the decent right backs we've had.  Orr gets a noticble mention but I'm struggling after that. Murray started at RWB I guess and Andy Llewellyn perhaps the stand outs in last 30 years? 

6 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Question is when/who are the decent right backs we've had.  Orr gets a noticble mention but I'm struggling after that. Murray started at RWB I guess and Andy Llewellyn perhaps the stand outs in last 30 years? 

I mentioned Tony Ford in a previous post, but the late Trevor Jacobs was pretty useful.

He later went to the Rovers, but should be forgiven for one little mistake.

11 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Paul Stevens wasn`t too bad and Carey of course played there for a bit too. Gerry Sweeney was probably the best in my time but we have had some shockers down the years.

11 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Bradley Orr. Still haven't replaced him imo. You don't know what you've got till it's gone.

Gerry Sweeney and Donnie Gillies.

18 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Trevor Tainton and Gerry Sweeney both coped admirably in the old First Division in that position.

29 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Bradley Orr. Still haven't replaced him imo. You don't know what you've got till it's gone.

Gerry Sweeney and Donnie Gillies.

Adam Locke did well under John Ward T right back. Orr of course and Amankwaah in the days of him being linked to bigger clubs. 

But we have had some woeful right backs too - Jamie Smith, Nicky Hunt, Gerald Lavin not to mention the current squad  thankfully we have Korey  

6 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Adam Locke did well under John Ward T right back. Orr of course and Amankwaah in the days of him being linked to bigger clubs. 

But we have had some woeful right backs too - Jamie Smith, Nicky Hunt, Gerald Lavin not to mention the current squad  thankfully we have Korey  

Must add 'marvelous' Marvin Harriott to the list of woeful right backs. 

Suprised thatvJamie Mc hasn't had an honourable mention at LB...although he was no Martin Scott

9 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am sure somebody will correct me, but, back in those days, we played with five at the back; the two full backs (Tony Ford and Alec Briggs) and the back three of Gordon Parr (4), Jack Connor (5) and Gordon Low - no E (6). If I recall correctly, both Jack Connor and Gordon Low (the latter being a tough Scot, but nowhere near as tough as the Bristolian Gordon Parr!) were signed from Huddersfield - hence their (Huddersfield's) continued desire to let us win and score loads of goals every time they visit Ashton Gate.   

My memory of that period is a bit vague, but I think Parr and Low were half backs. Before Connor came, the centre half was Alan Williams, who I think I saw play once. Dickie Rooks, another good player, followed Jack Connor later in the 60s

15 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Briggs played for us in the 60s. He was in the side under Fred Ford.

WAs in the side that just stayed up every season in the late 60s.

We had some great players at the time (in my young mind) Chris Crowe,Jonny Quigley,John Galley,Gerry Sharpe.

To name but a few and not forgetting the best keeper we EVER HAD GiBBO!!!!

Gibbo was brilliant and underated I seem to recall. I was in my early teen's. Question, was Tony Ford related to Fred Ford? I was trying out for the Bristol City young teams during one mid summer at the gate. I think it was around 1964. Fred Ford was a nice man, gentleman and a motivator considering those days.

13 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Not a bad shout on Locke.  Still remember that offside goal at Burnley. Probably cost us the title. Stupid ref/lino

On 25/03/2017 at 07:43, Tomarse said:

Gerry Sweeney

On 3/25/2017 at 08:31, tinman85 said:

Don't forget Brian Mitchell.

Possibly the worst ever PLAYER for us, never mind full back !

On 3/26/2017 at 10:20, Emperor Palpatine said:

Wasn't it Cambridge away? Pretty sure it was what is now the FLT southern final

That was Lee Peacock - and it's still in orbit.

The only penalty Mickey Bell missed in a competitive match for us, to my knowledge, was in the 90th minute of a 0-0 draw at Blackpool.

No, I don't know how I remember these things either.

On 3/25/2017 at 17:37, Gimme Shelton said:

I think it was a game against Derby that 'marvellous' had the worst game I've ever seen from a so called professional footballer.

A couple of things to note here. I believe you are thinking of Brian Mitchell, who has been mentioned above as the worst player most of us can remember rather than Marvin "No Change" Harriott. A game we actually won as well.

Secondly, you have about the finest username I have ever seen. Favourite player, favourite song. Hat's off to you sir. Have a like.

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 23:07, stephenkibby. said:

Yeah after that break (I wasn't there} he was finished.

If memory serves me correctly Gerry ended up with one leg shorter than the other.

Gerry Sharpe was who watched me play at age 12 (1981) when I had trials at City. I got binned because I wasn't good enough, although, ironically, I always liked to believe it was because I also have one leg shorter than the other!

Archived