IGNORED

Remember this anyone

Red Army 75

I was in the open end that day. Remember Andy Cole scoring that well taken goal. We all went nuts of course.

Id forgotten Jackie had scored two in the same match. 2 out of his 7 in his entire City career..........

Vaguely recal the fighting but thankfully I'd grown out of all that by then.

34 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I was in the open end that day. Remember Andy Cole scoring that well taken goal. We all went nuts of course.

Id forgotten Jackie had scored two in the same match. 2 out of his 7 in his entire City career..........

I think they gave Pompey A and B block . Also remember I was in the eastend against Sheffield united. We won 2 0 . Carnage . They were in A and B block as well 

I was sat in dolman B block.. I'm pretty sure the Pompey fans were not allocated any seats in the dolman, there was a group of them who had bought tickets and it kicked off big time as you can see.

i think it was the same season when we played millwall that the wooden seats rained down into the open end from the dolman after a big group of millwall fans turned up midway through the first half.

the sound of wooden seats getting broken and used for missiles was fairly regular at games in those days.

657 crew turned up early and sat in the front of the Dolman, they stuck out a mile. 

I was a mere part of the (YTS) Youth Terror Squad and we nervously walked past them just as the seats reigned down in them and the older lads weighed in, we were stuck in the middle of it so got stuck in. 

All I can honestly remember is one (at least) of there's that flew down to the Robins enclosure at the bottom of the Dolman and Pompey getting a lot more than they were looking for.

Back then Ashton Gate was a fearful place to go as an away fan, those were the days.

Remember as a kid watching the trouble from the Eastend, don't remember much about the game (apart from the scoreline).

To this day I thought Pompey had been given tickets for the Dolman block A, which always struck me as monumentally stupid from the club but possibly, reading posts in this thread, that wasn't the case.

Such was the situation in football at the time that the fighting before the match didn't seem at all shocking to me. 

6 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Remember as a kid watching the trouble from the Eastend, don't remember much about the game (apart from the scoreline).

To this day I thought Pompey had been given tickets for the Dolman block A, which always struck me as monumentally stupid from the club but possibly, reading posts in this thread, that wasn't the case.

Such was the situation in football at the time that the fighting before the match didn't seem at all shocking to me. 

Yes, they were definitely given that allocation. Away fans were there for a couple of seasons IIRC.

Any decent away following ensured mayhem.

Why that was allowed to happen, God only knows.

I think the club wanted to allocate the away fans the choice of seating / terracing.

I was in the east end too that day, can clearly remember thinking that some portsmouth fan was teatering backwards over the handrail at the bottom of the dolman before the lower bank of seating went in, and that if he fell, it would be about 40 feet onto the concrete below. Crazy times. 

Interesting that it says there were only 5 arrests at the match - 3 Pompey, 2 City - and nothing to say they were all/any connected with this incident.

Fewer iirc. then than there were following the incident in about the same place with that the idiot supporting Leeds a few years ago.

All on film, but I don't remember a page full of EP mugshots after the Pompey game, or retrospective arrests, so it looks like the police were far less interested in tracking down those involved in those days.

Interesting too, that there was only a passing mention in the report that there were in fact more arrests - 7 - at Rovers' visit to Oxford the same day.

I was in my early 20s , remember before the match there was a gentleman agreement between us and Portsmouth that no tools would be used that day.  A few City fans at that time used to meet up with Pompey on England always days, so there was a bit of a connection between them and us.

4 minutes ago, bs3 said:

I was in my early 20s , remember before the match there was a gentleman agreement between us and Portsmouth that no tools would be used that day.  A few City fans at that time used to meet up with Pompey on England always days, so there was a bit of a connection between us no them.

Glad to see things have improved! I was chased out of the open end by a Pompey fan who was waving a knife at me, during a half time interlude in the 1970's. Only for a copper on a horse to hit me with his truncheon and I couldn't get back in for the second half!

Portsmouth were NOT given an allocation in the Dolman. Those Pompey fans simply tried to infiltrate where they knew the City firm would be. They also stood their ground despite being outnumbered. City did beat them back and they were taken out by the Old Bill but only after a period of sustained fighting. Other video shows the comical sight of City fans trying to 'run' diagonally across the seats to get at them, not the best look, ha.

They weren't given tickets, they tried to infiltrate the Dolman. Twenty or so got in early and stuck out like a sore thumb, that's when the first lot of seats went reigning down.

They had a large number of lads trying to get into City but were bottleneck in by the slim entrance to the Dolman, there definitely was at least one Pompey lad who fell to the Robins enclosure below, fair play to them for bringing it to us, I don't remember many doing what they tried to do.

More recently we've taken huge firms to Pompey and always kept a bit of an alliance with them at England games (as someone has already said) we've also been friendly with Weat Ham through the years, however I'm not sure how that friendship is after the shenanigans at the Boleyn Ground a few years back!

Those were the days my friends.....

On 25/03/2017 at 12:58, Robbored said:

Our Jackie didn't get many did he. 

On 26/03/2017 at 21:10, bs3 said:

I was in my early 20s , remember before the match there was a gentleman agreement between us and Portsmouth that no tools would be used that day.  A few City fans at that time used to meet up with Pompey on England always days, so there was a bit of a connection between them and us.

No tools....lads that were crap at fighting?!!

Archived