IGNORED

Brexit and an indie Scotland

22A

Britain leaves the EU and Scotland leaves the UK. Does that limit the number of foreign players we're allowed? Think back to the late 70s; Gerry Gow, Peter Cormack, Donnie Gillies, Tom Ritchie and John Shaw, Geert Mayer & Perti Jantuunen. Would only three be allowed of the field at any one time?

If such a ruling does come about, many Prem teams will have to dump so many of their current first teams meaning their transfer fee will drop. Meanwhile the price of English, Welsh & NI players would increase. 

There are no current limits on the amount of foreign players allowed in the Premier League, they must however register a minimum of 8 home grown players.

I see no reason as to why Brexit or a Scottish independence would change this current ruling. 

Work permit rulings, applicable now but only to those outside the EU, will extend to EU national players but that is probably the only major change we will see from what I've read. 

If Scotland leaves UK its players will be classed as foreign (1) unless England and Scotland agree that those born British will have dual nationality, and (2) Scottish players as foreign would also be included in any of the solutions in next paragraph 

EU players will immediately on implementation of Brexit be treated as non EU players are now, i.e. On current Home Office rules they will have to have played a given number of times for their home country.  However, (1) Mrs May could negotiate some freedom of movement deal with EU which could include footballers, and (2)  a British Government post Brexit could relax those Home Office rules in any way it wished, and I imagine they would, unless the call for ultra strict immigration rules win the day here.

1 hour ago, Midred said:

Didn't the Scots try this at Wembley in the mid 70s?

It was in 1967 just after England had won the World Cup. Looking at this picture, all we need is a few horse punchers, and it could be Rovers fans at the Minimal Stadium. 

image.jpeg

Early hours of this morning the impact of Brexit on football was discussed on the CNN news channel. Their studio expert reckons that Brexit will put off many players from coming to Britain in future.

Could this be a way of nurturing home grown British talent?

29 minutes ago, 22A said:

Early hours of this morning the impact of Brexit on football was discussed on the CNN news channel. Their studio expert reckons that Brexit will put off many players from coming to Britain in future.

Could this be a way of nurturing home grown British talent?

Money talks it will make no difference. Does this mean though that every other advert voice over wont have a ******* Scots accent? Hope so.

I think I read somewhere that there are around 400 EU (non-uk) players registered in English football (and around 20 in Scotland) that would not qualify for a work permit under current foreign player rules.

Given that most British men/women under 30 can kick a football, I struggle to see how any special case can be made for future foreign players from the EU, any more than say EU builders. It,s not as if they have vital skills needed in the UK.

Maybe clubs will become more innovative and fly players in for matches or play matches in mainland Europe.

5 minutes ago, reddevon said:

I think I read somewhere that there are around 400 EU (non-uk) players registered in English football (and around 20 in Scotland) that would not qualify for a work permit under current foreign player rules.

Given that most British men/women under 30 can kick a football, I struggle to see how any special case can be made for future foreign players from the EU, any more than say EU builders. It,s not as if they have vital skills needed in the UK.

Maybe clubs will become more innovative and fly players in for matches or play matches in mainland Europe.

Am I right in thinking Magnusson, hegeler, giefer, kodjia and engvall would all have been likely refused work permits? Admittedly the last one probably would have had minimal impact...

On 29/03/2017 at 18:06, pongo88 said:

It was in 1967 just after England had won the World Cup. Looking at this picture, all we need is a few horse punchers, and it could be Rovers fans at the Minimal Stadium. 

image.jpeg

On the subject of Gas, anyone old enough (like me) to remember the Rovers fans regularly trying and sometimes succeeding to bring down the big flag pole in the old open end? It happened one game and a big rumour went around that one of them had been killed, or had a fractured skull or something. Thinking caps on please

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 22:05, pongo88 said:

If Scotland leaves the UK, this should mean no more Scottish football results on English TV. Yipee!

yes outside of a handful of games in Scotland most are attended by 1 man and his dog.

7 hours ago, pillred said:

yes outside of a handful of games in Scotland most are attended by 1 man and his dog.

Always have to defend the Jocks on this, best supported league in Europe based on attendances compared to the nation's population. Little Ross County average 3,500 and yet their town of Dingwall has a population of 5,000. For comparison it would be like City averaging 250,000 every week. Even the Gas don't carry that sort of support.

Archived