IGNORED

Goodbyew to "That" cup/trophy?

22A

35 minutes ago, 22A said:

Random statistic; in the Southern area final of this trophy, City have beat Aldershot, Rovers, Cambridge, Exeter, Gillingham and Hereford. Five of them were relegated to (what is now) the National League a few years later. Gillingham is the odd one out, but looking at the League 1 table, they may be in League 2 next season.

"Buster Footman's T shirt", you'ld better warn your locals what's in store for them!

Funnily most of the locals here support Charlton

2 hours ago, 22A said:

Random statistic; in the Southern area final of this trophy, City have beat Aldershot, Rovers, Cambridge, Exeter, Gillingham and Hereford...

It really pains me to say this, but we've been to the Football League Trophy Final 5 times so I'm not sure how we could have beaten 6 teams in the Southern Area Final....and the one we haven't played and beaten in the Southern Area Final from your list is Rovers....

18 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It really pains me to say this, but we've been to the Football League Trophy Final 5 times so I'm not sure how we could have beaten 6 teams in the Southern Area Final....and the one we haven't played and beaten in the Southern Area Final from your list is Rovers....

I vaguely remember playing you in a southern area final :)

• Admin

League One and Two clubs have voted to retain invited under-21 teams in the Checkatrade Trophy for two more seasons, along with a increase in prize money and changes to selection rules.

In a one-season trial, 16 Premier League and Championship under-21 sides were added to the 2016-17 tournament.

Clubs voted on three options: keeping academy teams, reverting to the old 48-team format or ending the competition.

Two-thirds of clubs lent their support to the 64-team format.

Coventry City won the EFL Trophy this season in front of nearly 75,000 spectators at Wembley, although the early rounds of competition were greeted by fan boycotts.

What are the changes?

Some League One and Two clubs were fined this season for fielding "weakened teams", but changes have been made to allow for greater selection flexibility for clubs.

Third-tier and fourth-tier clubs are now able to choose any goalkeeper and only four starting outfield players now have to be "qualifying first-team players", while invited sides need to have six under-21 players in their starting line-up.

Furthermore, the prize money for the competition has increased from just under £2m to £3m - the bulk of which comes from the Premier League - and regionalisation of the competition will remain until the quarter-final stages.

Invited teams will also play all of their group matches away from home - avoiding scenes such as 284 fans attending The Hawthorns to watch West Bromwich Albion's Under-21 side take on League One Gillingham.

There has been no guarantee from the Premier League clubs who refused to participate this season - including Arsenal, Tottenham, Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool - that they will be involved next season.

However, the English Football League hope the flexibility of being able to schedule matches outside international windows will make the proposition more attractive.

'Revised format benefits all parties'

EFL chief executive Shaun Harvey: "We wanted to ensure that League One and League Two clubs had the opportunity to make the key decisions regarding where we take the competition in 2017-18 and beyond, and I believe we have reached a revised format that benefits all parties.

"EFL clubs will have greater flexibility with regard to team selection, while still maintaining the principle that this is a first-team competition for our clubs that will support the development and progression of young players.

"The competition will also provide significant financial rewards for all EFL clubs, which increases with success."

It amazes me that this competition is still alive, and even more so that Football League clubs voted for it to continue.

If the Premier League is to use its youngsters in this competition, then they need to pay far more than they are currently paying. If I were the Football League I'd demand £10m at the very least, with a guarantee of no prize money going to a Premier League academy if they win.

If the Football League is going to use its competition as a training exercise for the Premier League then at least make them pay for it.

30 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

It amazes me that this competition is still alive, and even more so that Football League clubs voted for it to continue.

If the Premier League is to use its youngsters in this competition, then they need to pay far more than they are currently paying. If I were the Football League I'd demand £10m at the very least, with a guarantee of no prize money going to a Premier League academy if they win.

If the Football League is going to use its competition as a training exercise for the Premier League then at least make them pay for it.

Hardly surprising, the lower league clubs need the money. We've done very well from it financially over the years, I remember when we won it the first time in '86 it paid for a new roof on the old East End, in those days we didn't have a wealthy owner so that was a big deal.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

League One and Two clubs have voted to retain invited under-21 teams in the Checkatrade Trophy for two more seasons, along with a increase in prize money and changes to selection rules.

In a one-season trial, 16 Premier League and Championship under-21 sides were added to the 2016-17 tournament.

Clubs voted on three options: keeping academy teams, reverting to the old 48-team format or ending the competition.

Two-thirds of clubs lent their support to the 64-team format.

Coventry City won the EFL Trophy this season in front of nearly 75,000 spectators at Wembley, although the early rounds of competition were greeted by fan boycotts.

What are the changes?

Some League One and Two clubs were fined this season for fielding "weakened teams", but changes have been made to allow for greater selection flexibility for clubs.

Third-tier and fourth-tier clubs are now able to choose any goalkeeper and only four starting outfield players now have to be "qualifying first-team players", while invited sides need to have six under-21 players in their starting line-up.

Furthermore, the prize money for the competition has increased from just under £2m to £3m - the bulk of which comes from the Premier League - and regionalisation of the competition will remain until the quarter-final stages.

Invited teams will also play all of their group matches away from home - avoiding scenes such as 284 fans attending The Hawthorns to watch West Bromwich Albion's Under-21 side take on League One Gillingham.

There has been no guarantee from the Premier League clubs who refused to participate this season - including Arsenal, Tottenham, Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool - that they will be involved next season.

However, the English Football League hope the flexibility of being able to schedule matches outside international windows will make the proposition more attractive.

'Revised format benefits all parties'

EFL chief executive Shaun Harvey: "We wanted to ensure that League One and League Two clubs had the opportunity to make the key decisions regarding where we take the competition in 2017-18 and beyond, and I believe we have reached a revised format that benefits all parties.

"EFL clubs will have greater flexibility with regard to team selection, while still maintaining the principle that this is a first-team competition for our clubs that will support the development and progression of young players.

"The competition will also provide significant financial rewards for all EFL clubs, which increases with success."

Sounds like the League is as logical as ever.

Attendances plummeted when we let reserve teams play in the competition - let's have that situation continue for a few more years.

:facepalm:

On 3/29/2017 at 13:28, Clarky89 said:
  1. Scrap the Checkatrade/League Trophy completely.
  2. Remove Premier League teams from the EFL Cup/League Cup and make it only open for Championship/League One/Two clubs.
  3. Keep FA Cup as it is.

That will sort out the lot in my opinion - start encouraging teams to play stronger teams.

You are absolutely bang on the money

20 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Sounds like the League is as logical as ever.

Attendances plummeted when we let reserve teams play in the competition - let's have that situation continue for a few more years.

:facepalm:

Sell outs. Only voted for the money.

More boycotts to come. What's the chances of our Under 21s being involved? Hope Tinman and Alex tell the EFL to fewk off.

35 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Hardly surprising, the lower league clubs need the money. We've done very well from it financially over the years, I remember when we won it the first time in '86 it paid for a new roof on the old East End, in those days we didn't have a wealthy owner so that was a big deal.

When in the 1920's City sold two players, Bourton and Keating the transfer fees paid for the corrugated sheeting at the back of the East End and for some years it was referred to as "The Bourton - Keating stand".

37 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Don't forget about the Sherpa bus!

Just now, Chris_Brown said:

Are League One and Two clubs obliged to take part or could they withdraw?

On the EFL's website it lists rules for the competitions. Clubs must apply to play in the FA Cup (one year QPR's Secretary forgot that). Entry to the Football League Trophy is compulsory for clubs in the lower two divisions.

3 minutes ago, 22A said:

On the EFL's website it lists rules for the competitions. Clubs must apply to play in the FA Cup (one year QPR's Secretary forgot that). Entry to the Football League Trophy is compulsory for clubs in the lower two divisions.

Thanks. 

I would object to the changes somewhat less if the clubs could decide whether to bother or not.

On 2017-3-28 at 20:42, GrahamC said:

Pointless competition, should have scrapped it years ago.

Whilst I agree in some ways I also disagree because what it does give is a lot of fans a day at Wembley cheering on their team in a cup final that in this day and age you're not going to see any other way. No League One team is winning the FA Cup or league cup when there is such a large gap between divisions.

Archived