IGNORED

Johnson out ???

bpexile

I'm curious to get your impressions on Engvalls game time tonight, did he look good enough & do you think he has a future with us?

As a supporter from OZ I'm noticing that the push against LJ has subsided, does this mean people are more accepting of him now?.

Please give your opinions as OTIB is my main source of news for BCFC, also it was good to see Bailey Wright put in a solid shift for Oz last night in a 2-0 win against the UAE :thumbsup:.

1 minute ago, bpexile said:

I'm curious to get your impressions on Engvalls game time tonight, did he look good enough & do you think he has a future with us?

As a supporter from OZ I'm noticing that the push against LJ has subsided, does this mean people are more accepting of him now?.

Please give your opinions as OTIB is my main source of news for BCFC, also it was good to see Bailey Wright put in a solid shift for Oz last night in a 2-0 win against the UAE :thumbsup:.

I have no idea where the Engval question came from - not my doing, Gremlins maybe.

4 minutes ago, bpexile said:

I'm not sure what you are asking..?

Recent results have picked up, so the support base in general (not the snide element on here, I believe) are hopeful that we may have turned a corner. 

People are far from convinced that he's the man to take us forward, but maybe hopeful that he can be. 

Stability would be preferable, but improvement is priority. I think most would be happy for improvement under LJ, IF he can achieve it. 

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Recent results have picked up, so the support base in general (not the snide element on here, I believe) are hopeful that we may have turned a corner. 

People are far from convinced that he's the man to take us forward, but maybe hopeful that he can be. 

Stability would be preferable, but improvement is priority. I think most would be happy for improvement under LJ, IF he can achieve it. 

He set himself a rather low bar though, doesn't take much to show an 'improvement'.

1 minute ago, RumRed said:

He set himself a rather low bar though, doesn't take much to show an 'improvement'.

I don't mean improvement on the woeful period. 

Prior to that, he was doing a very good job. IF we can return to anything near those results (Feb-Oct) then I think most would be very pleased. 

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Thanks, I am one of the ones that really want LJ to succeed but I'm obviously not happy with the results although we do seem to have stopped the bleeding, for the time being at least. My question was really to try and gauge what the general feeling was at present.

Thanks for the input.

13 minutes ago, bpexile said:

Thanks, I am one of the ones that really want LJ to succeed but I'm obviously not happy with the results although we do seem to have stopped the bleeding, for the time being at least. My question was really to try and gauge what the general feeling was at present.

Thanks for the input.

International break and I think everyone on the forum is taking a break at the moment as well.

Fwiw, I doubt many minds will have been changed by recent results, however encouraging the last performance.

You say you 'really want him to succeed', an opinion I presume untainted from actually attending matches!

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

International break and I think everyone on the forum is taking a break at the moment as well.

Fwiw, I doubt many minds will have been changed by recent results, however encouraging the last performance.

You say you 'really want him to succeed', an opinion I presume untainted from actually attending matches!

Surely we all really want him to succeed irrespective of previous performances? If he succeeds, the club succeeds.

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Surely we all really want him to succeed irrespective of previous performances? If he succeeds, the club succeeds.

Indeed we do, it's just many of us have seen enough to have no belief that he can.

What I meant in answer to bpexile is he might have less inclination to be so positive about LJ if he'd actually sat through games.

What is the measurement of success anyway?

Would keeping City up be classed as succeeding in your view?

16 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Obviously because I live in Oz I don't attend matches until I get back to the UK when watching City is on my priority list, my reason for wanting him to succeed is because I dont like the merry go around of managers & I genuinely believe he does love the club. In saying that, if he isn't up to the job he should be replaced. That's why I asked the question - To see what the general feeling is.

5 minutes ago, bpexile said:

Obviously because I live in Oz I don't attend matches until I get back to the UK when watching City is on my priority list, my reason for wanting him to succeed is because I dont like the merry go around of managers & I genuinely believe he does love the club. In saying that, if he isn't up to the job he should be replaced. That's why I asked the question - To see what the general feeling is.

The truth is all managers are up to it in the short term. But most get sacked after a couple of years, proving they weren't really up to it after all! This in the main is because success is demanded for by fans, and for most clubs is unachievable in the long term. Most failed managers get off a number seven bus, and hop on to a number 11 etc etc. They steal a living from their previous club, join a new clubs payroll (whilst still being paid by they're last). The only constant, is that they nearly all fail in the end. I am also fed up with this merry-go-round of failure. Which is why I am sticking with our present guy, and being more patient than I have in the past! I think most otibers want him gone still. But in the real world I would suggest it's about 50/50.

7 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

An average record with us of a top 10 side. A very low bar....

And where are we?

I had blistering times over 800 metres but not a lot of use when I finished at the back of the field in the 10k.  Nippy in the last 200 but everyone else was collecting their medals by the time I crossed the line.

Consistency is what's required.

I have slowly lost faith in LJ due to the performances and some of his decision making. There is no consistency between what he talks about and what we see on the pitch. He drops players when they've played well; consigns players to the bench for weeks on end then puts them back in for no obvious reason. He said he wants to spend time 1:1 coaching players and they seem to be getting worse as a result.

So, in a nutshell, while he seems a nice enough person who has a soft spot for the club, I am very dubious about his ability to do the job. If he can start to get us playing like we did against Huddersfield every game then I would happily see him oversee a promotion push next season. I just have no confidence, based on this season, that he can do it.

7 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Indeed we do, it's just many of us have seen enough to have no belief that he can.

What I meant in answer to bpexile is he might have less inclination to be so positive about LJ if he'd actually sat through games.

Keeping us up would absolutely not be classed as success this season! Mid table was my expectation and we will fall well short of that.

Ultimate success here would be promotion to the PL. Although it seems highly unlikely, my point is that is something surely we would all like to see Johnson achieve.

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Keeping us up would absolutely not be classed as success this season! Mid table was my expectation and we will fall well short of that.

Ultimate success here would be promotion to the PL. Although it seems highly unlikely, my point is that is something surely we would all like to see Johnson achieve.

to be fair we can still make mid table,

1 defeat and this place will be unbearable again,

beat Brentford and this place will be full of "I told you so" and fans lording other others,

Me personally I'm hoping we've turned a corner and johnson leads us to the title next season, although I'd be happier if he was sacked tomorrow 

A couple of wins do not make a summer or wipeout a season of under achieving, baffling selections and poor results..... for me anyway.

The fact that most of our fellow relegation candidates have tougher games than us maybe the saviour of our season.

It is not over yet though we and LJ are still quite capable of cocking it up;

The suits remain silent preferring to send out their paid employee`s to rattle off the same old rubbish which seems to be working and selling ST`s.

8 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The OP isn't being "so positive towards LJ" he just wants him to succeed. Exactly the same as me. 

I'd much rather that LJ built on recent results (returned to last seasons and early this seasons form & optimism) that we need yet another change and new start, probably setting us back another year or 2. 

Can he do it? I don't know. Resent improvement leaves me hopeful, if not convinced. 

We do look to have improved since the January transfers came in and I reckon we'll be OK, but I'm sure all the LJ-haters will be out in force if we lose to Brentford.

Regarding Engvall I haven't given up on him, hasn't been given a chance to show what he can do. In the cup win at Fleetwood seemed to have played well alongside Djuric, jury's out at present.

4 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

We do look to have improved since the January transfers came in and I reckon we'll be OK, but I'm sure all the LJ-haters people rightly concerned about the performance of the manager/team will be out in force if we lose to Brentford.

Regarding Engvall I haven't given up on him, hasn't been given a chance to show what he can do. In the cup win at Fleetwood seemed to have played well alongside Djuric, jury's out at present.

Fixed that for you.  No need to thank me.

Personally, before I form an opinion on LJ as of this moment, and assuming he can keep us up, I want to know why we had such a dramatic dip in form. If the fault wasn't down to LJ's management of players, his tactics, and his coaching, what was it down to ?

I am not holding my breath for an answer from a club that is anything but transparent and open but I would really like to know if it was my choice to continue or not with LJ next season

40 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Oh for god's sake, not another LJ out thread.  I was rather hoping all this had settled down and we could concentrate on the rest of the season without this sort of stuff resurfacing.

Can we call a halt to this thread now, or have people really got nothing better to do?

The latter .

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I completely agree that staying up can & must not be deemed as "success". 

However, it would show us that he has the ability to turn things around when things aren't going well (for which he must take his share of responsibility, granted) 

I know you can't, but, if you could take away that period of shocking results between October & January, then our form either side of that, including last season, has been pretty good. Hopefully we have returned to something like that kind of form and keeping that as our expected level, we can be hopeful for next season. IF we can secure safety this season! 

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

Personally, before I form an opinion on LJ as of this moment, and assuming he can keep us up, I want to know why we had such a dramatic dip in form. If the fault wasn't down to LJ's management of players, his tactics, and his coaching, what was it down to ?

I am not holding my breath for an answer from a club that is anything but transparent and open but I would really like to know if it was my choice to continue or not with LJ next season

Chopping and changing has got to have a lot to do with it. If your boss kept changing your department every five minutes, you'd probably not have much idea what you were meant to be doing.

12 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Chopping and changing has got to have a lot to do with it. If your boss kept changing your department every five minutes, you'd probably not have much idea what you were meant to be doing.

That last bit could easily describe this season so far.

Archived