Welch
Coles
Hill
Hartley 
Elliot
Bent
Akinbiyi

Just after I first started watching City the promotion side was:

Cashley, Sweeney, Collier, Merrick, Drysdale, Tainton, Gow, Mann, Whitehead, Ritchie and Cheesley. 5 Bristolians and 3 Scots..

Although there are a number of other players I've loved watching in the 30+ years that followed; Hunter, Harford, Scott, Riley, Shelton, Newman, Taylor, Akinbiyi, Goater, Tinnion and Allison to name but 11 (by the way, those of you including the absolute myth that is Dziekanowski, that is simply hilarious, he only had about 5 decent games in total for us), I have never, ever seen a better team than that in all the years since.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Cashley, Sweeney, Collier, Merrick, Drysdale, Tainton, Gow, Mann, Whitehead, Ritchie and Cheesley. 5 Bristolians and 3 Scots..

Although there are a number of other players I've loved watching in the 30+ years that followed; Hunter, Harford, Scott, Riley, Shelton, Newman, Taylor, Akinbiyi, Goater, Tinnion and Allison to name but 11 (by the way, those of you including the absolute myth that is Dziekanowski, that is simply hilarious, he only had about 5 decent games in total for us), I have never, ever seen a better team than that in all the years since.

Jacki left me with memories no other player could. I know he barely turned up, but when he did he was light years above anybody. I forget his non events, but his magic lasts longer in my memory than any trier that turned out for city.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Cashley, Sweeney, Collier, Merrick, Drysdale, Tainton, Gow, Mann, Whitehead, Ritchie and Cheesley....

Loved those boys ....that is exactly the side I'd choose, with Fear, Hunter, Royle, Cooper, Shaw, Gillies and Mabbutt on the bench...

19 hours ago, TRL said:

Basso

Carey         Taylor               Hill

Murray    Newman Tinnion Brennan

Dziekanowski

Cole             Taylor

Subs

Dykstra

Bernard

Goater

Akinbyi

Smith

Shelton

Sebok

Probably seen better players in some of the positions but that'll do for me. Lacking pace in central midfield unfortunately And maybe a little bite. I was a bit to young to really take the 70's team to heart unlike these guys. Matt Hill being my favourite... always played the game as it should be played, bouncy happy with a big smile on his face.

Close to my team. I would have Garland in instead of Taylor

Welch

Llewellyn   Newman  Humphries  Scott

Smith    Shelton     Gavin

Jackie

Cole     Taylor (Sir Robert)

Subs:

Bell

Basso

Tinnion

Carey

Murray

Donowa

Agostino

Bit light-on in midfield with Shelts holding the fort. More of a 4-1-5 formation.

14 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I'd go along with that Graham. 

I'd especially mention Gary Collier, who I think is the best central defender I've ever seen for City. When fans pick their best ever 11, GC is so often overlooked in favour of Hunter, Taylor, Carey et al., although I can understand there is a generational reason for some fans' choices.  He was a real class player and formed a great partnership with Sir Geoff.

Unfortunately, Gary was indirectly responsible for the club's demise in the early 80s, as it was his free transfer to Coventry, once the clubs' control over players was removed, that "forced" the club to tie in players to long term contracts, and it was those long term contracts that become unaffordable following relegation and led to the Ashton Gate 8 "saving the club by tearing up their contracts.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

I'd go along with that Graham. 

I'd especially mention Gary Collier, who I think is the best central defender I've ever seen for City. When fans pick their best ever 11, GC is so often overlooked in favour of Hunter, Taylor, Carey et al., although I can understand there is a generational reason for some fans' choices.  He was a real class player and formed a great partnership with Sir Geoff.

Unfortunately, Gary was indirectly responsible for the club's demise in the early 80s, as it was his free transfer to Coventry, once the clubs' control over players was removed, that "forced" the club to tie in players to long term contracts, and it was those long term contracts that become unaffordable following relegation and led to the Ashton Gate 8 "saving the club by tearing up their contracts.

So true, best defender I've seen play for us too.

19 hours ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

Phil kite

Marvin harriott 

Brian Mitchell

Mcmanus

Ryan mcgivern

Colin loss

Jody morris

Abdul Kamara

John burns

Gary stanley

Scot mcgarvey

Bench:

Bas Savage

Ian baird

Richard dryden

Ha Ha; you forgot Julian [40] Watts, Gus Ceasar & a certain N.Hunt. I feel sure these "footballers" would get in ahead of McManus, Mitchell & Harriott.

I'm not having Dynamo Dresden on the bench either!

Fielding
             Ayling       Flint      Williams
Little           Korey          Pack             Bryan
                          Freeman
            Wilbraham             Agard

Bench:
Richards
Cunningham
Tavernier
Elliot
Wagstaff
JET
Smith

Manager: Cotterill.

No need for an explanation.

Basso

Flint / Shaun Taylor / McCombe

Mark Gavin / Tommy Doherty / David Noble / Alex Russell / Brian Tinnion

Nicky Morgan / Bob Taylor

Sub: Super Scotty Murray on at half time for Gavin

The back three would have been awesome together, going up for corners...

Gibson         

Merrick            Collier                Hunter          Scott

Whitehead               Gow            Mann              Tinnion

Atyeo       Cheesley

Subs.

S Taylor

Barnard

Shelton

A Walsh

Ritchie

Harford.

Archived