IGNORED

Student Rugby At AG Last Night

Up The City!

On 4/1/2017 at 13:33, Stortz said:

Fair play for the reply. Here's some genuine praise; your op/ed on Black Lives Matter last year was excellent.

Could you at least stop your colleagues from going on and on and on and on about that 'Only in Bristol' bollocks though please?!

Thanks, and lord knows I've tried.... it seems to have died down a bit now....

Just another student day out it seems to me. 

Lucky social media wasn't around for Henbury vs Brislington in the Glos Cup Schools Final back in the 70's viz events on the Tote End! We had to play the following year's cup final and then the national cup games in secret locations due to our overly 'enthusiastic' followers - who were mostly of the blue persuasion unfortunately.

Anyhows, to ensure a level playing field , waiting for the mug shots, 5am door knocks, massively disproportionate jail terms, and the banning orders that would be dished out to any football fan engaging in such 'disgraceful' behaviour. That'll stop them attending the next pro-immigrant, anti-Trump march and protesting against all the nasty things the 'right' say about women and people originating from a particular geographic location (excepting Bristol of course!).

• Admin

The headlines keep getting better - imagine a football club ever doing this !

There has been widespread condemnation of a ‘chant sheet’ of obscene and sexist songs produced by students at UWE and distributed before a varsity rugby match at Ashton Gate, which descended into crowd violence.

The sheet contained lyrics to abusive songs about some of the University of Bristol’s players, and sexist language towards female students.

The sheets were distributed among UWE supporters at Ashton Gate, before the start of the varsity rugby match last Thursday.

The police are investigating large-scale disorder between the two sets of fans in the concourse during and after the women’s and men’s matches, which involved hundreds of fans from both sides confronting each other.

Some of the songs are simply adaptations of the kind of offensive chanting sometimes heard at football matches, but others were condemned by women students as deeply sexist.

One suggested chant read: “I’d rather be a poly than a c***”, and another: “Drink, drink, wherever you may be, we are the boys of U. W. E. and we don’t give a s*** and we don’t give a f***, cos we’re all going home with a Bristol sl**”.

Other chants are too obscene to include, even with offensive words asterisked out.

The University of Bristol Student Union said it was ‘very disappointed’ at the disturbances inside the ground, and also condemned the chanting sheet.

“We understand sheets were distributed advocating offensive chanting,” a statement said. “Bristol SU has a zero tolerance policy towards sexist language of this nature which is deeply unacceptable.

“We are speaking to UWE SU and the University to establish exactly what happened and what, if any, action needs to be taken,” it added.

The sheet had three names on a byline: Jack Gillanders, Max McGrath and Jack Channing.

Mr Gillanders apologised for the sheet, and told Bristol University’s independent student newspaper Epigram it was supposed to be funny.

“I would like to apologise to anyone who may be offended by the chants,” he told Epigram. “I’d like to state I do not stand by those chants in any way. They were used to entertain and humour, however I can see I completely misjudged the situation and overstepped the mark.

“Huge apologies to anyone who was offended, I severely regret what happened,” he added.

The vice-president of Bristol Uni’s Intersectional Feminist Society, Rowena Salmon, told The Tab the fact those responsible thought it would be ok to include their own names spoke volumes for the ‘lad culture’.

“I think that some of those chants were absolutely disgusting and the fact that students could feel comfortable enough with those words to sign their names shows how misogyny continues to be pervasive in student sporting communities and lad culture,” she said.

“I’m satisfied that this has been brought to the attention of UWE and their SU, so I hope the students responsible will learn something from this,” she added.

Other students at UWE said Bristol Uni students sang similar songs, but did not have a song sheet.

17 minutes ago, JulieH said:

As I have said we are reviewing and checking cctv to establish a view of what happened.

early indications from persons who have come forward indicate that the incident started in the area of the Masonic pub as stated. We don't know exactly where it started hence the appeal for anyone in that area to come forward.

i am using this form of language as at this stage we are still gathering evidence and in order to find witnesses we need to define areas that may be important so as not to miss any relevant information.

when court cases come we tend then to be in possession  of facts and therefore presented on a factual level for juries and judges to consider.

enquires are being made to establish if the two arrested males went to the game.

Whilst you're here, are there any updates on the varsity hooligans?

I haven't heard any reports of arrests or 11am dawn raids. 

I can't recall the police asking for assistance in identifying the hooligans by way of a Bristol Post front page motage from CCTV footage. 

I trust the police are pursuing this as vigorously as they would if it was football fans kicking off inside a stadium? 

Update on that is the cctv has been viewed by club and both universities.

i understand 4 persons have been expelled from university as a result.

the cctv has been handed to the local police to deal with the offenders shown as committing public order offences, there will be no need to put them in paper as their identities are already known.

The rugby game at the beginning of the season between Bristol v Exeter has also been investigated, again identities of those involved were known so no press release needed. 

I understand 6 males have been charged with public order offences and will appear in court, Bristol sport have issued stadium bans to the males for both football and rugby.

2 hours ago, JulieH said:

the cctv has been handed to the local police to deal with the offenders shown as committing public order offences, there will be no need to put them in paper as their identities are already known.

The rugby game at the beginning of the season between Bristol v Exeter has also been investigated, again identities of those involved were known so no press release needed. 

I understand 6 males have been charged with public order offences and will appear in court, Bristol sport have issued stadium bans to the males for both football and rugby.

Thanks for that Julie

Funny how none of this has been reported in the BEP - expulsions, bans etc.as I`m sure it would had it been football fans involved.

You could almost be forgiven for thinking that there`s one rule for one sport and one for another although I can`t imagine for one minute that the local press would be anything other than totally unbiased.

2 hours ago, JulieH said:

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

Thanks for that Julie

Funny how none of this has been reported in the BEP - expulsions, bans etc.as I`m sure it would had it been football fans involved.

You could almost be forgiven for thinking that there`s one rule for one sport and one for another although I can`t imagine for one minute that the local press would be anything other than totally unbiased.

@Tristan Cork

2 minutes ago, JulieH said:

Unfortunately I have no control over press reporting!! 

But you do state it wont be reported to the press as "names known" - what of those who missed these press articles? I for one havent seen any names mentioned anywhere yet I keep hearing "names known" - Well it isnt known to me... Do you mean known to the police? I'm not demanding that I must know their names, I'm just a little confused over the wording of it all. There are crimes where people are named and shamed at every opportunity, granted we both dont control the press, is "names known" just for the police then is that what you mean? 

there are 2 reasons for pictures in press:

one can be to seek names of persons who are not known. This happened following the city v rovers game and rovers v Mansfield. The photos of unknown males are circulated first internally and any not then identified can be put in the local press

the second reason is post conviction in court when the media have previously shown interest in the case. It can only be reported after the court case.

at this stage the case has not gone to court.

i am back at my desk on Thursday and will check if those charged have been released to the press by the media team.

21 hours ago, Collis1 said:

This is nothing. I went to Plymouth University and at one of our rugby varsities there was a full scale riot on the pitch.

Hundreds of students dressed as vikings fighting with hundreds of students dressed as Smurfs. Was priceless.

I hope there is a film on youtube? :fear: 

"Here is Tory Councillor Justin, in his smurf outfit…"

22 hours ago, Collis1 said:

This is nothing. I went to Plymouth University and at one of our rugby varsities there was a full scale riot on the pitch.

Hundreds of students dressed as vikings fighting with hundreds of students dressed as Smurfs. Was priceless.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't laugh but I wish I hadn't been eating when I read this!

If the names aren't freely available, it can be very difficult to track down individuals in the court system - Bristol Crown, for instance, will deal with dozens every day, so if you don't even know what day they're summoned you're essentially screwed.

A call to the A&S press team should be enough to point someone like @Tristan Cork in the right direction, but having worked with them years ago they were always about as helpful as a chocolate tea pot so hopefully they've changed in recent times.

Sadly my son, who is a UWE student went to this match. A number of students sat behind him started to pass a bottle along the row to pee in. He says he just turned to check whether what he was hearing was true. When he did he was given abuse, so he moved. He moved a few rows back and saw a bottle of pee get dumped on the step.

When the fighting started he left. His friend from Uni complained to the stewards who said they had been told at Briefing that they were short staffed and that the head of security had complained to his boss to be told to get on with it.

it sounds like an embarrassing mess

Just now, Cider_boy said:
So the Varsity football has been cancelled

OUR stadium is safe from those dead hard student types then!

Good.

They should play it at the mem - no chance of anything getting damaged there, might even tidy it up a bit.

1 hour ago, Cider_boy said:
So the Varsity football has been cancelled

OUR stadium is safe from those dead hard student types then!

Hope we keep the deposit from the Unis. Not our fault their lads and ladies can't behave themselves when full of beer...

• Admin

Another example of how football and rugby supporters are dealt with differently !!!

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-universities-varsity-rugby-matches-907814

Bristol’s two universities will not play each other at rugby for two years, following a major incident of crowd disturbance at the last varsity rugby match at Ashton Gate.

The Bristol Post understands that a number of students were expelled from both universities following the trouble, which saw rival students face up to each other in what staff working at Ashton Gate Stadium said was ‘like a battleground’.

The two sets of supporters behaved ‘like wild animals’ during the trouble following the game that took place at the end of March, according to eye witnesses.

A joint statement from both the University of Bristol and the University of the West of England said students involved had been ‘subject to disciplinary proceedings’, but neither university would confirm if that included students being expelled for their part in the trouble.

Police, Bristol Sport and senior leaders at both universities are understood to have studied CCTV footage taken inside the concourse at Ashton Gate, and no formal police action was undertaken.

Those involved in the investigation are understood to have come to the view that, from a criminal point of view, the offences committed amounted to minor public order offences.

But the universities involved are understood to have taken a firm line, with several students said to have been expelled – although neither university would confirm how many.

The Post has been told that the deans of both universities met with Bristol Sport’s stadium managers and viewed CCTV footage, then investigated the incidents internally and identified the students.

Those students and their parents were then invited to Ashton Gate, and shown the CCTV footage, before being disciplined by the universities. Some were reprimanded or receiving official warnings, but for several – around four or five – it meant expulsion.

The Bristol Post asked both universities how many students were expelled, but both declined to answer.

A joint statement from both UWE and UoB said: “An inquiry carried out by the Varsity Board, which is a joint board with representatives from UWE Bristol and the University of Bristol, following the Bristol Varsity Rugby match on March 30, 2017, has now concluded following a thorough and detailed process.

“As a result, there will be no stand-alone or spectated Varsity Rugby for two years.

“Those students identified as being involved have been the subject to disciplinary proceedings. They have also been subject to sanctions from the Students’ Union and required to write letters of apology to those affected by their behaviour."

Eye witnesses to the trouble, including Bristol Sport staff working inside the stadium, told of how hundreds of students had been drinking all day – even before they arrived at Ashton Gate – for the rugby part of the Varsity Sports contest between the two institutions.

The event attracted a crowd of around 2,000, all in the new Lansdown Stand at Ashton Gate.

The women’s rugby match came first, with the men’s match following. Before and during that game, there was widespread disturbances in the concourse, involving students inundating the bar serving areas and threatening staff.

Bosses decided to close the bars and food outlets early, and after the second match there was a face-off between the two sets of supporters in the concourse, which was captured on CCTV and on mobile phone cameras.

“The students were a bit mad, it was ridiculous,” said one eye witness, a couple of days after the match. “All the people at the back were pushing, trying to get to the front and there was no queuing going on. For the football, the fans stay in lines, but they just removed the lines and it was absolute bedlam, it was a nightmare,” she said.

“We had to close the kiosks. We were shouting at them to queue properly, to stop being out of order and they weren’t listening. The stewards were out there and they were having a nightmare too. The students were coming up ordering 15 pints at a time, and it was just mayhem.

“We told them we would close and stop selling if they didn’t behave, but they didn’t settle down, so we locked up, put the shutters up.

“I think the match started at about 7pm and they were still just down there drinking at the bars at 8.15pm, they weren’t even really watching the game to start with. They weren’t happy, but we were locked in. They all went up to watch the match.

“Then when it finished, they all came down the stairs and you’ve never seen anything like it. They were a bunch of wild animals.

"All we had as a barrier to separate them was a line of bins and they went over straight away. It was carnage and honestly the only way to describe it was like one of those films where two sides run at each other and meet in the middle, fighting. It was like a battleground,” she added.

“One of the stewards had cuts to his hand, and they were all out there trying to stop it, but there was nothing they could do. I’ve never seen that from football fans. One side came down one set of stairs and the other came from the other and they met in the middle. There was smoke bombs going off, they were chanting ‘UWE’ or ‘Bristol’ and it was crazy,” he added.

The Bristol Post also reported that one group of students from the UWE were reprimanded and had to apologise for printing out a lyrics sheet of offensive and sexist chants.

In the aftermath of the trouble, Bristol Sport confirmed it actually had more stewards on duty per spectator than it usually does for Bristol City and Bristol Rugby matches. At the time, many Bristol City fans expressed frustration that the way in which the club and the police dealt with the trouble differed from their course of action when similar incidents happen at football matches – where the police publicly issue CCTV images of individuals they want to identify.

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

Another example of how football and rugby supporters are dealt with differently !!!

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-universities-varsity-rugby-matches-907814

Bristol’s two universities will not play each other at rugby for two years, following a major incident of crowd disturbance at the last varsity rugby match at Ashton Gate.

The Bristol Post understands that a number of students were expelled from both universities following the trouble, which saw rival students face up to each other in what staff working at Ashton Gate Stadium said was ‘like a battleground’.

The two sets of supporters behaved ‘like wild animals’ during the trouble following the game that took place at the end of March, according to eye witnesses.

A joint statement from both the University of Bristol and the University of the West of England said students involved had been ‘subject to disciplinary proceedings’, but neither university would confirm if that included students being expelled for their part in the trouble.

Police, Bristol Sport and senior leaders at both universities are understood to have studied CCTV footage taken inside the concourse at Ashton Gate, and no formal police action was undertaken.

Those involved in the investigation are understood to have come to the view that, from a criminal point of view, the offences committed amounted to minor public order offences.

But the universities involved are understood to have taken a firm line, with several students said to have been expelled – although neither university would confirm how many.

The Post has been told that the deans of both universities met with Bristol Sport’s stadium managers and viewed CCTV footage, then investigated the incidents internally and identified the students.

Those students and their parents were then invited to Ashton Gate, and shown the CCTV footage, before being disciplined by the universities. Some were reprimanded or receiving official warnings, but for several – around four or five – it meant expulsion.

The Bristol Post asked both universities how many students were expelled, but both declined to answer.

A joint statement from both UWE and UoB said: “An inquiry carried out by the Varsity Board, which is a joint board with representatives from UWE Bristol and the University of Bristol, following the Bristol Varsity Rugby match on March 30, 2017, has now concluded following a thorough and detailed process.

“As a result, there will be no stand-alone or spectated Varsity Rugby for two years.

“Those students identified as being involved have been the subject to disciplinary proceedings. They have also been subject to sanctions from the Students’ Union and required to write letters of apology to those affected by their behaviour."

Eye witnesses to the trouble, including Bristol Sport staff working inside the stadium, told of how hundreds of students had been drinking all day – even before they arrived at Ashton Gate – for the rugby part of the Varsity Sports contest between the two institutions.

The event attracted a crowd of around 2,000, all in the new Lansdown Stand at Ashton Gate.

The women’s rugby match came first, with the men’s match following. Before and during that game, there was widespread disturbances in the concourse, involving students inundating the bar serving areas and threatening staff.

Bosses decided to close the bars and food outlets early, and after the second match there was a face-off between the two sets of supporters in the concourse, which was captured on CCTV and on mobile phone cameras.

“The students were a bit mad, it was ridiculous,” said one eye witness, a couple of days after the match. “All the people at the back were pushing, trying to get to the front and there was no queuing going on. For the football, the fans stay in lines, but they just removed the lines and it was absolute bedlam, it was a nightmare,” she said.

“We had to close the kiosks. We were shouting at them to queue properly, to stop being out of order and they weren’t listening. The stewards were out there and they were having a nightmare too. The students were coming up ordering 15 pints at a time, and it was just mayhem.

“We told them we would close and stop selling if they didn’t behave, but they didn’t settle down, so we locked up, put the shutters up.

“I think the match started at about 7pm and they were still just down there drinking at the bars at 8.15pm, they weren’t even really watching the game to start with. They weren’t happy, but we were locked in. They all went up to watch the match.

“Then when it finished, they all came down the stairs and you’ve never seen anything like it. They were a bunch of wild animals.

"All we had as a barrier to separate them was a line of bins and they went over straight away. It was carnage and honestly the only way to describe it was like one of those films where two sides run at each other and meet in the middle, fighting. It was like a battleground,” she added.

“One of the stewards had cuts to his hand, and they were all out there trying to stop it, but there was nothing they could do. I’ve never seen that from football fans. One side came down one set of stairs and the other came from the other and they met in the middle. There was smoke bombs going off, they were chanting ‘UWE’ or ‘Bristol’ and it was crazy,” he added.

The Bristol Post also reported that one group of students from the UWE were reprimanded and had to apologise for printing out a lyrics sheet of offensive and sexist chants.

In the aftermath of the trouble, Bristol Sport confirmed it actually had more stewards on duty per spectator than it usually does for Bristol City and Bristol Rugby matches. At the time, many Bristol City fans expressed frustration that the way in which the club and the police dealt with the trouble differed from their course of action when similar incidents happen at football matches – where the police publicly issue CCTV images of individuals they want to identify.

not being privy to all the information I can't really comment, but being expelled from uni cocking up your own future appears to be punishment enough for these student types,

I'm not sure what charges the police can bring as it happened inside the stadium, I'm sure had it been in the street some charges would be forth coming,

but it is double standards again, would it be worth sending it to the FSF to highlight such inequality? 

I read the article earlier and thought it might elicit such a response on here.

I understand there might be some concern that for what, ostensibly, are similar offences, some 'fans' are punished with the proverbial slap on the wrist whilst others are arrested and given season/life-long bans etc, but I really think it is not a question of rugby/football, but rather 'over exhuberant' (and pissed) students vs hard-core hooligans.

Give them a warning and a chance, but clamp down hard should there be a next time.   

• Admin
29 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I understand there might be some concern that for what, ostensibly, are similar offences, some 'fans' are punished with the proverbial slap on the wrist whilst others are arrested and given season/life-long bans etc, but I really think it is not a question of rugby/football, but rather 'over exhuberant' (and pissed) students vs hard-core hooligans.

Give them a warning and a chance, but clamp down hard should there be a next time.   

Assuming that every person ever arrested at football is a "Hooligan"?

Surely fighting within Ashton Gate is the same no matter what the event?

13 minutes ago, phantom said:

and normally results in a stadium ban whether the person is charged by the police or not doesn't it?, 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

A crowd of 2000, it's simply not worth the trouble is it?  As someone else said, send them back to the Mem!

26 minutes ago, phantom said:

12 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

and normally results in a stadium ban whether the person is charged by the police or not doesn't it?, 

Sorry, I omitted the inverted commas " I inserted on 'fans' and 'over exhuberant' when relating to the rugby fans, whereas I should have refererred later to the football hooligans as 'hooligans'.

Is that clear?

Probably not, but hopefully you know what I mean, i.e. some people 'fighting' are really fighting, whilst some are are simply hooligans or 'hooligans'.

To be fair banning orders and the like would have no effect at all since most of them would have no intention of setting foot inside AG ever again anyway - it`s not like a City fan getting one and taking away a major part of their life.

What I do object to though is the anonymity. If they were football fans their names and faces would have been splashed over the front of the EP,  they would have been on PW and other fans would have been asked to report them if they knew who they were. We don`t even know the names of these thugs. I agree that getting expelled is serious but what about the ones who just got `disciplined`? Not quite the same as getting a criminal record for football related violence is it? I doubt any future employer would even get to know about it.

Its still very serious for those who have been expelled from university, thousands racked up in students loans without the benefit of getting their degree and presumably would be made away if they were to apply for university again. I wonder if there was some nativity from those organising it from the stadium size though, kick off being in the evening what did they expect students to be doing beforehand? They've likely had all sports through the day where they'll go watch loads and drink their way through it all. Rivalries between the different unis is often fairly big as well. So taking those factors a 'barrier' of some bins was decided as appropriate? Not saying any of what happened is acceptable but feel the situation was somewhat underestimated. 

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Sorry Phil but it really does demonstrate that the punishments are different for offences at rugby to football.

We've now had three separate incidents of drunken behavior at Ashton Gate rugby matches in the last three years, which has included fighting and danger to other spectators. To the best of my knowledge, no such incidents at City games.

The South Wales police are now voicing serious concerns about the amount of alcohol related incidents at Wales rugby internationals in Cardiff. These are known to continue all through the weekend whereas at Cardiff City games, very few problems and a short time span before and after games.

I was at the recent Wales v NZ match and the game is spoiled by the continual flow of people to and from the bar during a game.

Thank goodness for the ban on alcohol inside the terracing at football!

Archived