IGNORED

Good is gone

22A

Been there many a time and sad to see it go. Probably the last of the big traditional grounds where they don't half make a noise. Yes, it's old fashioned but that gives it a great feeling. Lovely stadium.

I hope they build something befitting of a club like Everton, the people's club IIRC.

I live in Liverpool. The new ground is being built on one of the old docks about a mile or so from the heart of the city centre. Everton are funding the ground, but the city council are investing millions in redeveloping the entire area from Liverpool One to Bramley docks, the new site. Including a new metro line. 

Quite a difference to the village green scenario. 

2 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

I live in Liverpool. The new ground is being built on one of the old docks about a mile or so from the heart of the city centre. Everton are funding the ground, but the city council are investing millions in redeveloping the entire area from Liverpool One to Bramley docks, the new site. Including a new metro line. 

Quite a difference to the village green scenario. 

What do Everton fans make of this mate? You ask most West ham fans now and they wished they were still at Upton Park.

Just now, Super said:

What do Everton fans make of this mate? You ask most West ham fans now and they wished they were still at Upton Park.

Think it's been met with pretty widespread approval and excitement. 

Everton are a massive club up here. I always perceived growing up in Somerset that Liverpool were the bigger club etc and maybe that's true on a global scale but here it is well and truly 50/50 split. Everton think they need the new stadium to compete with the expanding Anfield, but also with the Manchester clubs.

They're moving in to a purpose built stadium in the middle of the city in a really interesting location. Only time will tell, but the reaction is definitely one of believing it will be good for the club and good for the city. 

4 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Think it's been met with pretty widespread approval and excitement. 

Everton are a massive club up here. I always perceived growing up in Somerset that Liverpool were the bigger club etc and maybe that's true on a global scale but here it is well and truly 50/50 split. Everton think they need the new stadium to compete with the expanding Anfield, but also with the Manchester clubs.

They're moving in to a purpose built stadium in the middle of the city in a really interesting location. Only time will tell, but the reaction is definitely one of believing it will be good for the club and good for the city. 

I think it will be and will help Everton compete with the bigger clubs for sure. Off the pitch great, reckon they could have the same problem as West Ham on the pitch. Goodison was always a difficult place to go for away teams.

8 minutes ago, Super said:

I think it will be and will help Everton compete with the bigger clubs for sure. Off the pitch great, reckon they could have the same problem as West Ham on the pitch. Goodison was always a difficult place to go for away teams.

The difference being this will be a purpose built football stadium, not a converted athletics stadium.

24 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

The difference being this will be a purpose built football stadium, not a converted athletics stadium.

An athletics stadium that isn't even fully and permanently converted as it needs to remain available for athletics.  I was chatting to a West Ham season ticket holder the other day and he hates "London Stadium".  Hates it.

Never been to Goodison, as someone else said, must try and get up there before it's gone

That team of Reid, Gray, Lineker, Steven, Stevens, Ratcliffe, Southall etc - what a team. They could have built a real dynasty on the back of that if we weren't banned from European football. I'd love them to overtake Liverpool. Proper club, Everton, got a lot of time for them

14 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Never been to Goodison, as someone else said, must try and get up there before it's gone

That team of Reid, Gray, Lineker, Steven, Stevens, Ratcliffe, Southall etc - what a team. They could have built a real dynasty on the back of that if we weren't banned from European football. I'd love them to overtake Liverpool. Proper club, Everton, got a lot of time for them

I beg your pardon...

49 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I went to a wedding in Liverpool in the mid 80's and the reception was held at Goodison. A load of their players turned up later in the evening and joined in the fun. I can remember chatting to Trevor Steven, Derek Mountfield and Graham Sharp.

29 minutes ago, Super said:

Fordy brainwashed you?!

I'm not sure of his Liverpool views, is he not a fan either? Loved the team that won all the Euro Cups, what a team that was, but can't be having them now. Love it when they get all shitty about United having fans all over the country, then claim they have a bigger support. Presumably from all 4 corners on the UK, and beyond.....just doesn't make sense. I really do dislike them

6 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

I went to a wedding in Liverpool in the mid 80's and the reception was held at Goodison. A load of their players turned up later in the evening and joined in the fun. I can remember chatting to Trevor Steven, Derek Mountfield and Graham Sharp.

Ah, those were the days. Do you think Lukaku would pop along for half a bitter and a chat nowadays?

4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Might try and get there before it closes

You will!

Lee Johnson said we would be in the top league within four years.

Everton just have to ensure they can stay up to play us.

Looking forward to it, and Arsenal away.

:thumbsup:

tfj :protest:

Did the Stadium Tour there before watching England at Anfield a few years back. A proper old school ground oozing with character. The tour was given by the late Dave Hickson, an Everton star of the 50's, when he found out I was a City fan he spoke of his great admiration for John Atyeo.

2 hours ago, Offside said:

I've always wanted to watch City play at Goodison. Fingers crossed we get them in the cup before they move.

I`m not sure but I think that if we`d beaten Plymouth way back when - Gary Marshall hit the post in the 90th minute and Dwight Marshall got the winner in ET - we would have had Everton away in the next round.

9 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Been there many a time and sad to see it go. Probably the last of the big traditional grounds where they don't half make a noise. Yes, it's old fashioned but that gives it a great feeling. Lovely stadium.

I hope they build something befitting of a club like Everton, the people's club IIRC.

I'd say Villa Park fits into that category.

Archived