IGNORED

Why does a season of struggle turn so vicious?

reddogkev

Perhaps a psychological question, but it's happened for years with us - we struggle in this division and some of our fans become overly cruel, crude, warring, sometimes even mad people.

Insults become the norm, the manager is often ripped to shreds and abused online, and everyone to do with the club becomes a target for abuse and questions arise over their commitment and their worth to the club.  SL usually picks up his fair share of stick, even though he's probably invested well over £50 million in the club during his time.

Even now, after a bad 45 minutes against a good Brentford team, the usual section of people are aiming abuse at all they can target.  You know things are serious when the 'suits' are blamed for the ills on the pitch.

And the sort of crap I hear about LJ is beyond belief.  One chap on here suggesting he is assaulted, as that may force his hand.  Honestly, are we Rag ass Rovers?

I feel people have to accept that 3 teams are relegated each and every season.  This is part of our football life.  No, it doesn't make it any easier to tolerate and I wish we would survive and flourish, but why does it always become so melodramatic and vindictive?

I support City because my Dad does and I am raised in South Bristol.  I support them in the face of relegation and when we often win promotion.  It's all part of the ride.

If you've read this far, I am shocked by the outrage on here all because the players were crap for the first half against Brentford, and conceded 2 goals.  What did I miss?

1 minute ago, reddogkev said:

Perhaps a psychological question, but it's happened for years with us - we struggle in this division and some of our fans become overly cruel, crude, warring, sometimes even mad people.

Insults become the norm, the manager is often ripped to shreds and abused online, and everyone to do with the club becomes a target for abuse and questions arise over their commitment and their worth to the club.  SL usually picks up his fair share of stick, even though he's probably invested well over £50 million in the club during his time.

Even now, after a bad 45 minutes against a good Brentford team, the usual section of people are aiming abuse at all they can target.  You know things are serious when the 'suits' are blamed for the ills on the pitch.

And the sort of crap I hear about LJ is beyond belief.  One chap on here suggesting he is assaulted, as that may force his hand.  Honestly, are we Rag ass Rovers?

I feel people have to accept that 3 teams are relegated each and every season.  This is part of our football life.  No, it doesn't make it any easier to tolerate and I wish we would survive and flourish, but why does it always become so melodramatic and vindictive?

I support City because my Dad does and I am raised in South Bristol.  I support them in the face of relegation and when we often win promotion.  It's all part of the ride.

If you've read this far, I am shocked by the outrage on here all because the players were crap for the first half against Brentford, and conceded 2 goals.  What did I miss?

You won't let this go, will you?

:no:

Do you know who I blame?

tfj

5 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Good wind-up tbf.

But April Fool's Day was on Saturday.

7 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Other relegation seasons have been deserved due to a lack of quality players . Not the case this season , we should be comfortable midtable. SL thinks he can guinea pig a manager (love child ) in this league . He's clueless about football I've always said it . I've never been so angry with the club because it's been completely avoidable .

You're missing the fact that our one season in ten, I've seen eight in sixty seven years following City, when we have a promotion is always followed by nine years of either mid table mediocrity in the third tier or struggling at the bottom of tier two.

The big difference that you and many others don't seem to understand, is that this year we have a brand new 27,00 stadium, have spent around £15 million on about twenty new players, mostly "for the future",yet we have a completely useless Head Coach who couldn't win the raffle if he had the only ticket in the bag.

And on Saturday we were totally outclassed by a team that is a suburb of London and who had a magnificent attendance of 9,750 when the City's away fans are removed from the total.

One day Reddogkev, you may be able to understand why so many of us are so pissed off.  

10 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

You missed our owner sacking one of the most successful managers in our history following a difficult period caused in no small part by said owners failure to support him in identified targets needed to strengthen us in a higher division.

Followed by said owner replacing successful manager with a divisive figure with a win rate of 35% in League One, backing him with sums of money denied to previous successful manager, and continued support by said owner for manager with zero man management or leadership qualities, during a period incidentally which saw crap manager take the Bristol City record for consecutive losses.

That's what you missed.

• Admin
11 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Our Head Coach does not deserve hatred or abuse, he just needs to be replaced by someone with experience at this level...is that really too much to ask?

He fully deserves everything and more that is being aimed at him !!

13 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

A psychological question would be: Why have fans become less involved, emotional, and benign from the seventies till now?  

Social media is a form of gentrification. A catharsis to passively gnash and gnarl in comparison to times when fans would take direct action.

A club icon like Terry Cooper had far more ire directed at him at an away game (Southend). On a scale of one to ten Mr Johnson has been given  a easy ride of one out of ten.

Non club icons in the form of players - Gary Emmanuelle was a target of attack during a game (Bournemouth) from Bristol City fans. No individual has faced similar since.

Why does a season of struggle turn so vicious? The answer is it has not. And probably will never will again.

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Absolutely. LJ and SL should thank their lucky stars they aren't involved with an Italian club.

LJ would've had a pig's head or a Vespa launched at him in the dugout and SL's private jet would've been fire bombed.

30 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Thank god that was all we had to endure this season - anyway, amongst tens of thousands of fans we have some ******** "shocker!" run for the hills, the end is nigh, will someone think of the children, alas poor Yorik, I knew him ... plenty of threads you could have put this opinion commentary in, just screams look at me, me ,me did not need yet another thread.

Where to start?, ok let me first dispel the biggest myth put about by LJ arse kissers, I cannot recall any fans expecting or believing that this season should be anything other than a mid table no flirting with relegation season but I do recall LJ telling us he expected us to be 'up there' and competing.

LJ has been afforded a huge war chest which was boosted by the sale of Kodjia and his first priority?, signing players for the future and then realised he had better sign some for the first team squad and in the main he has signed league 1 quality and players that he has quickly lost faith in, how many of the vast numbers of players signed could we expect to even get our money back on let alone make a profit on?.

Only twice in 39 games have we managed to maintain a pressing game with our dire and shocking midfield, his persistence with the totally useless full backs at the club beggars belief, his insistence with playing 1 up top and now he has run out of excuses, no one left to blame, FFS he even managed to sign a keeper worse than what we had already.

I to like the op support BCFC because of my dad and I to was born in south Bristol but unlike the op I cannot subscribe to his 'sunshine' analogy, 'don't worry be happy' my arse.

My first game was 1958 and I can truly say without exception that this season is the most depressing and so totally unnecessary, even if LJ scabs a way to keep us up he will take us down next season, I have zero faith in him he is clueless and looking at our useless midfield it looks like every one of them graduated from the LJ school of midfield surrender.

Football is a passionate game and many fans like myself have their weekends ruined by Saturday defeats and their whole week ruined with a midweek defeat.

If I believed that the squad was100% committed and fully behind their manager that would represent a glimmer of hope but I do not believe that to be the case.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

I'll say one thing, Johnson is out of his depth & bluffing it big time.

But can you have any control when Bryan was so far off his man for the first goal??.It was comical,inexcusable,nowhere to be seen-he may as well been in "The Griffin" having a pint as it wasn't much further away.

58 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

You're missing the fact that our one season in ten, I've seen eight in sixty seven years following City, when we have a promotion is always followed by nine years of either mid table mediocrity in the third tier or struggling at the bottom of tier two.

The big difference that you and many others don't seem to understand, is that this year we have a brand new 27,00 stadium, have spent around £15 million on about twenty new players, mostly "for the future",yet we have a completely useless Head Coach who couldn't win the raffle if he had the only ticket in the bag.

And on Saturday we were totally outclassed by a team that is a suburb of London and who had a magnificent attendance of 9,750 when the City's away fans are removed from the total.

One day Reddogkev, you may be able to understand why so many of us are so pissed off.  

:clap:

One of the best summaries of being a follower of BCFC I have read.

:thumbsup:

tfj

3 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

I'll say one thing, Johnson is out of his depth & bluffing it big time.

But can you have any control when Bryan was so far off his man for the first goal??.It was comical,inexcusable,nowhere to be seen-he may as well been in "The Griffin" having a pint as it wasn't much further away.

You can have control by not picking Joe.He hasn't exactly been tearing up trees has he.

4 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

You can have control by not picking Joe.He hasn't exactly been tearing up trees has he.

Lee can't drop JB out of loyalty.

His Dad operated on GJ, and SL likes the Johnsons.

There is no way out of the situation!

:gaah:

tfj

4 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Or get a coach in that the players actually put a shift in for, someone that demands respect. Does anyone actually think that goal would have happened under someone like Warnock? We need a tough, nasty, demanding so and so who will get these players to the level we know they can play at. It would shake the players maybe but it just might be successful.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Excellent post, says it all  :clap::clap:

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

I don't understand your point.

Our fans have been brilliant come game time, season in, season out.

This footballing mesd has been going on for almost the last ten years.

Why do you think people are finally pissed off?

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

You missed our owner sacking one of the most successful managers in our history following a difficult period caused in no small part by said owners failure to support him in identified targets needed to strengthen us in a higher division.

Followed by said owner replacing successful manager with a divisive figure with a win rate of 35% in League One, backing him with sums of money denied to previous successful manager, and continued support by said owner for manager with zero man management or leadership qualities, during a period incidentally which saw crap manager take the Bristol City record for consecutive losses.

That's what you missed.

That's exactly how I see it. 

2 hours ago, phantom said:

No he doesn't. And as one of the moderators who has, amongst other things in the past few weeks, had to take down posts asking where LJ lives I'm surprised that you find abuse, intimidation and threats of physical assault to be acceptable.

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Back of the net mate, in one; Steve are you reading this, wake the hell up

3 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Do you think hovering between the second and third tier of the English game, despite continuous and significant financial backing, a large fanbase capable of taking 45k to London for a game against Walsall, enormous off-field investment in our infrastructure, representing one of the country's biggest cities, and paying large sums of money to watch including some match tickets now in excess of £40, whilst watching the likes of Bournemouth, Swansea, Burnley, Wigan, Cardiff, Ipswich, Reading and even Swindon play in the Premier League, is a satisfactory level of achievement over the last I-don't-know-how-many years?

If you don't think it is, then you have the answer to your question.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Do you think hovering between the second and third tier of the English game, despite continuous and significant financial backing, a large fanbase capable of taking 45k to London for a game against Walsall, enormous off-field investment in our infrastructure, representing one of the country's biggest cities, and paying large sums of money to watch including some match tickets now in excess of £40, whilst watching the likes of Bournemouth, Swansea, Burnley, Wigan, Cardiff, Ipswich, Reading and even Swindon play in the Premier League, is a satisfactory level of achievement over the last I-don't-know-how-many years?

If you don't think it is, then you have the answer to your question.

Of course it's not. But I'm not sure it's fair to lay the blame for that entirely at LJ's door. 

As Ive said before elsewhere, the only manager who ever really broke that mould began with several seasons of struggle at the foot of the old 2nd division. 

25 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Of course it's not. But I'm not sure it's fair to lay the blame for that entirely at LJ's door. 

As Ive said before elsewhere, the only manager who ever really broke that mould began with several seasons of struggle at the foot of the old 2nd division. 

But he wasn't lumbered by an oligarchic owner who has shovelled money into the club but who does not have much clue about hiring a manager/head coach who is proven at Championship level.

Harry Dolman was a chairman who gave managers time and was a much better judge of a good manager than SL.

HD got it right three times out of four. Pat Beasley (7 years tenure, 3rd Div Champions) Peter Doherty (2 years, dressing room problems because of lifelong promises made by HD after Beasley's promotion) Fred Ford (7 years, promoted 1964-65) and AD (13 years, promotion to Div One and kept us there four years)

Archived