IGNORED

David Moyes

Super

4 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

I don't understand the outrage. She was blatantly baiting him and got the same response a male reporter would've got.

The BBC report says Moyes "was asked by Vicki Sparks if the presence of owner Ellis Short put extra pressure on him." That's a perfectly reasonable question. Some managers tend to treat women reporters with disrespect just because they are are women.

13 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

I don't understand the outrage. She was blatantly baiting him and got the same response a male reporter would've got.

So saying 'You might still get a slap even though your a women' because he couldn't take a question in an interview is a decent response in your eyes? 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Is there a soundbite of the interview?

One article says they were both laughing at the time

That's what I couldn't understand either, is it a case they knew each other well and was acceptable as a joke between them, whatever the rights and wrongs in a wider context are? Is it another case of somebody  getting offended on someone else's behalf yet again?

To be honest if us women want equality (and we do) then Moyes should be able to make the same comment to women reporters as he would to men. Threatening to hit someone isn't ok, but it shouldn't matter if that person is male or female, so her gender shouldn't be brought into it. The only thing that should matter is that he thinks ok to resolve conflict/issues by physical means 

6 minutes ago, RedM said:

That's what I couldn't understand either, is it a case they knew each other well and was acceptable as a joke between them, whatever the rights and wrongs in a wider context are? Is it another case of somebody  getting offended on someone else's behalf yet again?

Indeed. The BBC leapt on this story. If he said it to a bloke it would not have been reported.

11 minutes ago, RedM said:

Your response and questions seem very sensible to me RedM. The reporter readily accepted ghis apology at least what I think I read. People seem to get offended too easily these days. As they both laughed I assume there was humour in it which we all need these days. A too serious life leads to a dull life and miserable existance.

11 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

To be honest if us women want equality (and we do) then Moyes should be able to make the same comment to women reporters as he would to men. Threatening to hit someone isn't ok, but it shouldn't matter if that person is male or female, so her gender shouldn't be brought into it. The only thing that should matter is that he thinks ok to resolve conflict/issues by physical means 

Spot on Dolly.

Outrage due to the reporter being female is completely outdated.

1 minute ago, David Brent said:

Of course it is. It adds some context.

I'm sure he isn't advocating violence against women.

The point i'm making is some people when hearing something offensive will just laugh it off rather than say something.

OK, if we are going to go to the extent of potentially throwing a slap statement in what appears jest seeing both Moyes and the reporter were laughing afterwards. What is this forum's policy on the intent of that conversation with "slap" in it? 

It seems to me that there has been further threats on this forum between Males and Females which I like to think is taken in humour. Personally I don't think this forum is an issue, I am just raising the point as if we view those statements as inequality then we better retract a high level volume of postings. 

What some have said about LJ, including my delinquet self is far more rhetorical than a slap :facepalm:

2 hours ago, Akira said:

Utterly ridiculous. It's clearly said as a joke, and they probably know each other. Christ, world's gone soft and totally PC. 

They were laughing FFS! 

Hopefully he will be sacked.

Embarrassing that he was forced to apologise. He clearly said it as a throwaway remark, they were both laughing and the reporter made no complaint. It has also been reported that he called her to apologise in private (which apparently the reporter accepted) but was advised into making the apology public- what a load of old bollocks.

10 minutes ago, ontariored said:

I do. We joke about it all the time. It's humour, we have a laugh and she/ they insult me back. All in good fun..  

Some will not find it so funny though.

6 hours ago, ontariored said:

Your response and questions seem very sensible to me RedM. The reporter readily accepted ghis apology at least what I think I read. People seem to get offended too easily these days. As they both laughed I assume there was humour in it which we all need these days. A too serious life leads to a dull life and miserable existance.

Inclined to agree. However, the reporter's own opinion doesnt render everyone else's null and void. It's a public job so there is a wider context. 

Archived